1. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '07 15:56
    I am not a religious person, so the religious aspect of Christmas does not have any meaning for me, I don't celebrate Jesus being born or anything like that.
    Also though, I am not a materialistic person either, I don't like how you are supposed to buy everyone presents, and get presents yourself, indeed, I really don't like being bought anything and I ask people not to get me anything, and fortunately other people say the same to me.

I guess Christmas is just a drinking holiday as far as I am concerned.

What do you think of Christmas?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Dec '07 16:26
    Many things...the traditional goodwill and compassion for one. It also brings to mind how it's some bizaare rape-child of pagan Germanic rituals, Christianity and Coca-Cola. Then there's the way it's used to funnel funds from the common folk to the manufacturers...

Mostly I find it annoying though I do respect some aspects of it.
  3. Glasgow Scotland
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 04:35
    It also brings to mind how it's some bizaare rape-child of pagan Germanic rituals, Christianity and Coca-Cola.
    Do you really think of this at Xmas? Perhaps you need to chill a bit.

I look forward to the holiday, I travel home with my family to the UK to be with my relatives and watch the kids opening their presents on Xmas Day, later comes the Xmas party with plenty of food and drink.

Yeh I know it's basic and has no religious aspect to it but I love it!!
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 09:06
    A big hole in my pocket, a lack of transport, banking and shops, and getting drunk.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 15:27
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    I am not a religious person, so the religious aspect of Christmas does not have any meaning for me, I don't celebrate Jesus being born or anything like that.
    Also though, I am not a materialistic person either, I don't like how you are supposed to buy everyone presents, and get presents yourself, indeed, I really don't like being bought anything and I ask ...[text shortened]... mas is just a drinking holiday as far as I am concerned.

It's a day off of work with pay. Sounds good to me.
  6. The sky
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 15:28
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It's a day off of work with pay. Sounds good to me.
    2 1/2 days if you live in Norway or Germany. 😏
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 15:30
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    2 1/2 days if you live in Norway or Germany. 😏
    Perhaps, but only one of those days can actually be on Christmas. I actually get two days off.
  8. The sky
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 15:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Perhaps, but only one of those days can actually be on Christmas. I actually get two days off.
    Well, the days are called Christmas Eve, 1st Christmas Day and 2nd Christmas Day, so in a way they are all on Christmas. I guess it's not easy to give birth to a god, it probably took some days.
  9. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 16:57
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Well, the days are called Christmas Eve, 1st Christmas Day and 2nd Christmas Day, so in a way they are all on Christmas. I guess it's not easy to give birth to a god, it probably took some days.
    Wow, she was in labour a long time then! That had to hurt!
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 17:52
    Also though, I am not a materialistic person either, I don't like how you are supposed to buy everyone presents, and get presents yourself, indeed, I really don't like being bought anything and I ask ...[text shortened]... mas is just a drinking holiday as far as I am concerned.

Winter solstice. Days will get bigger, will get hotter and chicks will start wearing mini-skirts once again. That's a reason enough for me to celebrate.
    Certainly not the anniversary of Jesus (he wasn't even born at this time).
    Presents in this date annoy me... I don't need some useless crap just to make someone feel better because he's going after the huge capitalist motivated present-rush that was once a symbolic gesture for some folks.
    And saying "oh.. it's all about family and remembering we must be good to others" is plain hypocrite. I don't need a time of year to remind me that. I give importance to my family and close friends throughout the year, so I surely don't need a compensation holiday to make up for it.

95% of those who celebrate Christmas are pure hypocrites. This date reminds me of the lousy world I live in and how things got at this point.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 18:47
    Originally posted by serigado
    Winter solstice. Days will get bigger, will get hotter and chicks will start wearing mini-skirts once again. That's a reason enough for me to celebrate.
    Certainly not the anniversary of Jesus (he wasn't even born at this time).
    Presents in this date annoy me... I don't need some useless crap just to make someone feel better because he's going after the hu ...[text shortened]... es. This date reminds me of the lousy world I live in and how things got at this point.
    Are those the chains of Jacob Marley i hear rattling down the hall?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 23:30

When I was a kid is was great, but now it seems more like a commercial enterprise.
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 13:01

Jesus is the reason for the season.... thats what it means to me!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree