1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 02:18
    Originally posted by JS357
    A fundie is a person whose foolishly and persistently believes the opposite of what I know to be true.
    By that a fundy is anyone who disagrees with you? 🙂
    KJ
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 02:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    You mean like these?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/producer-behind-12th-imam-video-arrested-for-exposing-film-ties-in-iran/

"Last month CBN news uncovered a startling state sponsored video trumpeting the imminent return of the 12th imam -- a messianic figure who some Muslims believe will lead the armies of Islam to victory over all non-Muslims. Now, ...[text shortened]... troops to die for "God's will" is a formidable mixture if you can get them to buy into it.
    A fundamentalist is a Christian not a Muslim. So he is actually saying
    Christianity scares him. But you are right that he should be scared of
    the extremists Muslims and not Christian Fundamentalist.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 02:41
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I still kind of like Scott Bidstrup's analysis of what characterizes fundamentalism at bottom. It is marked by a "doctrinal seriousness" that displaces more basic and reasonable concerns. At its base, it involves the overvaluation of doctrinal conformity at the expense of the actual better interests of others and oneself.

http://www.bidstrup.com/religion.htm
    I went to your link and read Mr. Bidstrup's analysis. What I see is
    another hater of Christianity.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 04:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Then I would say your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 05:56
    I perceive you are also a hater of Christianity.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 06:29
    I perceive you are also a hater of Christianity.
    Then I would say your powers of perception leave something to be desired.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 15:52
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    By that a fundy is anyone who disagrees with you? 🙂
    KJ
    Actually the few fundamentalists I have known have been fine people and I haven't gotten into serious arguments with them. Why mess with somebody's mind if it's working for them? I think my days of seriously disputing religious issues are behind me.

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/1094931041291295
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 16:101 edit
    You'll have to forgive RJ. This is the second time in 24 hours that his reading comprehension skills have been called in question. It's a sore spot for him evidently stemming from his second grade teacher having made the same observation. From what I can tell, it's a "pride" thing for him, so his ego defense mechanisms kick into overdrive making it difficult for him to be rational.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 16:55
    I'm trying to understand why you say this. It isn't how I 'd say it, but I wouldn't bicker about the wording if you said this: "Bidstrup hates fundamentalism in any religion, as he defines fundamentalism."

But if you believe that the only true religion is fundamentalist Christianity, you would interpret Bidstrum's hatred of fundamentalism as being hatred of the only true religion, fundamentalist Christianity.

Also, if you look up fundamentalism at wikipedia you find that it was contrasted with modernism in the early part of the 20th century and modernism is defined at wikipedia to include denial of a compassionate, all-powerful Creator God.

So if you identify with the early fundamentalists as having the correct understanding of Christianity and being in a fight with modernism, which denies your God, you will see Bidstrum as attacking Christianity.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 17:32
    A fundamentalist is a Christian not a Muslim. So he is actually saying
    Christianity scares him. But you are right that he should be scared of
    the extremists Muslims and not Christian Fundamentalist.
    A fundie is a Christian and not a Muslim? I have heard of Muslims referred to as fundies. Am I the only one?
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 17:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    A fundie is a Christian and not a Muslim? I have heard of Muslims referred to as fundies. Am I the only one?
    You aren't alone but wither is RJ.

"Fundamentalism is strict adherence to specific set of theological doctrines typically in reaction against the theology of Modernism.[1][2][3] The term "fundamentalism" was originally coined by its supporters to describe a specific package of theological beliefs that developed into a movement within the Protestant community of the United States in the early part of the 20th century, and that had its roots in the Fundamentalist-Modernist Controversy of that time."

it goes on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalism
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 04:491 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree