What happens when we die

What happens when we die

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Mar 09

Originally posted by Scriabin
you can claim what you like, but since your question is rather silly, not much point in spending time on the argument.

the point has already been made that we do not know what happens after we die.

as to what happens when we die -- that one is easy, just look it up, there are entire books written on what happens when we die.

all those that concern ...[text shortened]... of all or a part of a person after they die are in the realm of speculation or outright fiction.
I cant quite make out whether you are saying it is ridiculous to even consider the possibility of consciousness after death, or whether you think it is an unknown.
Whatever the case I think your tactic of avoiding the argument is a waste of every bodies time. If you don't want to discuss it then why not keep quiet?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
16 Mar 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
The initial question is whether or not we need to interview someone who has already died in order for us to know anything about what happens to consciousness after death.
I believe that consciousness involves memory. I believe that we can conclusively say that when a human being dies his memory is either lost, damaged and certainly becomes inaccessible t ...[text shortened]... this is sufficient reason to claim that consciousness does not and cannot continue after death.
An ancient product of meditation is that, every day of our life as we grasp it whilst we are alive, it contains in full the experience of death as you understand it. You sleep, and from this condition you return gradually into a situation of another level of existence -into your everyday life. The very moment that you get into the condition of sleeping, you get the experience of the "clear light" (the experience of the time of death).
This extact experience is identical with the one you become "aware of" whilst you meditate; the condition whilst meditation is analogous to the situation we experience the time we die and to Dharmakaya, whilst the condition we experience when we are dreaming is analogous to Dharmata. So, the "body" you experience whilst you are dreaming is similar to the "body" "you" have after your death.

Now I can answer to your exact question:
Every single moment of the consiousness as you experience it in your everyday life is supposed to be the product of the "dawn/ birth" and of the "sunset/ death" of your consiousness of the moment before this present one; the current "consiousness" of yours -every "unit of current consiousness" - is a unit of consiousness that was born from the death of the previous unit of consiousness of yours.
All in all, your consiousness as you percieve it whilst living is just blocking the real nature of your mind and leads you to misunderstanding.

However the Human is able to keep his units of consiousness together; by the way, this is how the Thibetan monks use their mind😡

Cape Town

Moves
16 Mar 09

Originally posted by black beetle
Now I can answer to your exact question:
Every single moment of the consiousness as you experience it in your everyday life is supposed to be the product of the "dawn/ birth" and of the "sunset/ death" of your consiousness of the moment before this present one; the current "consiousness" of yours -every "unit of current consiousness" - is a unit of con ...[text shortened]... ts of consiousness together; by the way, this is how the Thibetan monks use their mind😡
I don't understand you. In what way does any of that answer the question? Do you think consciousness continues after death or not? What is the 'real nature' of your mind?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
16 Mar 09

I don't understand you. In what way does any of that answer the question? Do you think consciousness continues after death or not? What is the 'real nature' of your mind?
My answer to your question is clear -further explanation I cannot offer.

The nature of my mind is the void;

Cape Town

Moves
16 Mar 09

Sounds more like you are a-void-ing my question rather than answering it. πŸ™‚

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
16 Mar 09

Sounds more like you are a-void-ing my question rather than answering it. πŸ™‚
Nope; the reason why I cannot comment further is that I have already done it in full. Now it is you that you have to do your chores!
😡

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
17 Mar 09

I cant quite make out whether you are saying it is ridiculous to even consider the possibility of consciousness after death, or whether you think it is an unknown.
Whatever the case I think your tactic of avoiding the argument is a waste of every bodies time. If you don't want to discuss it then why not keep quiet?
you missed the point. again.

you answered the wrong question.

I was quite clear that we have no known manner in which to gather data on whether consciousness is possible after death.

Absent any data, what is a rational person to conclude?

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
17 Mar 09

ah, well I accept that the nature of your mind is equivalent to being entirely empty headed. I told you what you had to say was vacuous -- now you affirm it.

thanks πŸ˜€

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
17 Mar 09

ah, well I accept that the nature of your mind is equivalent to being entirely empty headed. I told you what you had to say was vacuous -- now you affirm it.

thanks πŸ˜€
😡

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
17 Mar 09

I was quite clear that we have no known manner in which to gather data on whether consciousness is possible after death.

Dzog-Chen
😡

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
17 Mar 09

At least now you state "I choose to accept that I do not know because I don't know" and you do not choose anymore to state "I choose not to accept as true or established fact that of which I cannot become aware, either through my own perceptions, or through those recounted by others whom I can accept as rational and reliable sources"
😡

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
17 Mar 09

thanks πŸ˜€
Do you see now the projection of twhitehead in your mind?

The void emerges when there is no projection
😡

Cape Town

Moves
17 Mar 09

Yes you are quite clear, but you provide no reasoning to back up the claim. Rather you try to derail any discussion that might show it to be false.

There is plenty of data including what I have presented. You refuse to see it which leads me to believe you have a vested interest in not doing so.

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
17 Mar 09

At least now you state "I choose to accept that I do not know because I don't know" and you do not choose anymore to state "I choose not to accept as true or established fact that of which I cannot become aware, either through my own perceptions, or through those recounted by others whom I can accept as rational and reliable sources"
😡
elucidate how you see a distinction that makes any difference.

I choose to accept that I do not know because I cannot obtain the information I would need to know.

In such cases, rational people dismiss arguments that attempt to establish an answer as true. Such questions essentially are meaningless.

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
17 Mar 09

Yes you are quite clear, but you provide no reasoning to back up the claim. Rather you try to derail any discussion that might show it to be false.

[b]Absent any data, what is a rational person to conclude?

There is plenty of data including what I have presented. You refuse to see it which leads me to believe you have a vested interest in not doing so.[/b]
Oh, that's right. I forgot. My entire retirement plan and all my savings are invested in Afterlife, Inc., which has turned out, strangely enough, to be something of a growth stock, despite the recent downturn.

As I've always said, follow the money.

Now, that was a snark -- here's the straight answer: I don't need to provide reasoning for that which is quite self-evident to any rational person.

You have an axe to grind -- and should immediately return to that void between your ears you mistake for a mind.