1. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 09:58
    If I say "the earth is flat". I know you will not believe me, so I can hardly be said to be intending to deceive. So is my untrue statement therefore not a lie?
  2. The sky
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 10:05
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If I say "the earth is flat". I know you will not believe me, so I can hardly be said to be intending to deceive. So is my untrue statement therefore not a lie?
    If you know we won't believe it, I'd say it's a joke rather than a lie.
  3. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 12:54
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Anything not in conformity with the truth.
    You mean like a mistaken assertion?

Suppose your previous statement was mistaken. Is it therefore a lie?
  4. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 12:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would tend to say no. It certainly wouldn't be a prototypical lie.
  5. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 13:00
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I largely agree, but I wonder sometimes why we should stipulate that the liar knows that P. Why should we not weaken it to he believes that P? This opens the possibility to lies the propositional contents of which are true, which may seem awkward. But on the other hand, I don't really see why the person who believes that P and intentionally trie ...[text shortened]... an you give me some reasons why I should restrict the lie concept to only false content?
    You're right, of course. I was using "know" loosely to mean "strongly believe".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree