1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 20:23
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Fear of the unknown is for the most part ubiquitous to mankind -- so is self-preservation. This doesn't negate an afterlife, does it?
    No. It has no bearing on whether there really is an afterlife, but I wasn't chiding him for claiming belief in an afterlife. I was pointing out that we nearly all fear death. Believer and non-believer. Generally, it is the ones who have no fear of death that you have to be afraid of.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 20:44
    Originally posted by telerion
    No. It has no bearing on whether there really is an afterlife, but I wasn't chiding him for claiming belief in an afterlife. I was pointing out that we nearly all fear death. Believer and non-believer. Generally, it is the ones who have no fear of death that you have to be afraid of.
    Generally, it is the ones who have no fear of death that you have to be afraid of.

Too true.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 21:34
    Hmmm... Condensation is exothermic. There would have been a bit of heat caused. Enter "Giant Ice-Meteors" (which triggered the collapse in the first place) who cause a suppression of the temperature, and an ice age.

Good point; however, unless "Giant Ice-Meteors" is a person, my opponent should have used the word "which" rather than "who." This demonstrates that my opponent is in no way qualified to debate using the English language. How much more might my opponent not know? A lot probably. Therefore we cannot take his argument seriously.

Immense tectonic movement caused tipping of the plates and the runoff formed what currently covers 70% of the surface -- the oceans.

71% is covered by water. Yet another fact my opponent did not know. Why should we trust anything he says?

He brought Noah and the Ark back into existence inside a time vacuum such that they felt they had traveled for one year.

My opponent did not, or more likely could not, mount even one reasonable criticism to this point. In light of this, I think we can safely assume that he has conceded this debate. I will continue eviscerating my opponent's other misguided arguments merely as an illustration of proper debating technique for those in the peanut gallery.

Vegetation would have survived the thorough dowsing in seed form.

This argument is quite strong. It is made even stronger by the well-known rule from horticulture which says that one can never overwater a seed. Considering the enormous stock of seeds of every species which would have been gathered up before the Flood, it seems quite likely that the cataclysm would have left these seeds uniformly distributed over the surface of the Earth. Then only those seeds best suited for the ex post homogenous muddy surface of Earth would have lived to produce offspring, giving rise to the vast and varied ecosystems we see today. But this is evidence of evolution! Therefore my opponent's argument is really self-defeating!!!

Bunnies reproduce faster than lions. QED!

Lions do not eat bunnies. Notice how my opponent failed to mention the other thousands of carnivores. Until he can list each carnivore and how it survived, we can safely dismiss his irrelevant aside.

And you think the theory of evolution which posits a single common ancestor doesn't have the same problem!?!

The Holy Word of Darwin states that large-scale evolution occurs through genetic mutation and natural selection over vast eons of time. 6000 years is not enough time to give rise to the numerous ecosystems we see today. I know this because the Holy Word of Darwin tells me so. We must not ever apply liberal interpretations to the Holy Word of Darwin because this might lead some to believe the Holy Word of Darwin is fallible. This cannot be true. Therefore my opponent is wrong.

The Grand Canyon; fossils of seabed creatures on the upper reaches of the Himalayas. I forget all the rest. There was an entire book devoted to it in the 70's IIRC.

Both are lovely places to go for a hike. Henry Morris secretly loved children. Why should we listen to a pedophile?

The stones of the Great Pyramid of Giza weigh up to 80 tonnes each -- not quite rubber duckies that float away when a little water comes past.

First, let me ask my opponent, "Have you ever actually weighed the stones of the Great Pyramid? Have you actually done the experiments to test the composition of these rocks?" For all you know they may float. After all, ice floats, and it's a solid.

It's anyway estimated to have been constructed around 2560 BC -- a couple millennia after the proposed flood.

Here we see signs of the great debate going on in Creationism. When did the Flood occur? According to the esteemed website Answers In Genesis, the date of the Flood is 2304BC, plus or minus 11 years.*

According to the renowned Creationist, Kent Hovind, the Flood occured 4400 years ago, or about 2400BC.**

Others at the Institute for Creation Research place the flood about 5,000 years ago or roughly 3000BC.*** Note that ICR is connected with Henry Morris, a secret child-lover, and thus their opinions should carry little weight.

Clearly, a great controversy rages between the tiny office rentals of major Creationist institutions. How can they debate real scientists when they can't even get their story straight? My opponent suggests that the Flood occured in roughly 4500 BC, however according to major young earth Creationists this cannot be the case because at that time God had not yet created Earth!

The East Asians were deposited by UFO’s. Alternatively, they could have moved there while most of the water was trapped as ice at the poles.

This could only occur if God really turned down the internal temprature of the Earth's core. Otherwise the newly-intensified rays from the Sun would not allow ice to form. Also the aliens in Earth's neighborhood at that time did not look like East Asians, but rather more like the caucasians of central Texas.

Thank you all for attending this debate. I have video and tape cassettes on a table in the church lobby. My ministry is not cheap. Please consider giving generously to us. Remember that when you give to Jesus, he will return it back to you 7 fold. I am the next best thing to Jesus.

*http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v4/i1/noahs_flood.asp

**http://www.drdino.com/articles.php?spec=77

***http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=articles&action=view&page=406
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 21:45
    Originally posted by telerion
    [b]Hmmm... Condensation is exothermic. There would have been a bit of heat caused. Enter "Giant Ice-Meteors" (which triggered the collapse in the first place) who cause a suppression of the temperature, and an ice age.

Good point; however, unless "Giant Ice-Meteors" is a person, my opponent should have used the word "which" rather than "who." This d ...[text shortened]... ec=77

***http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=articles&action=view&page=406[/b]
    Kudos. Rec'd. Thankfully it's my bedtime, as I'm gob smacked -- will rebut later.
  5. Cosmos
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 22:23
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Doesn't make any sense though, if the afterlife is so great. You guys should be throwing yourselves off tall buildings!
    True. The religious powers that be have thought of this one. In order to preserve their paying flock, they have made it impossible for suicide victims to enter heaven.

What a stitch up!
  6. Cosmos
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 22:33
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]Generally, it is the ones who have no fear of death that you have to be afraid of.

Too true.[/b]
    Yes, and these tend to be religious fanatics such as the suicide bombers in Iraq.

Thus belief in the afterlife causes unnecessary death and suffering.

Religion sucks.

The religious are suckers.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 23:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 01:03
    Originally posted by howardgee
    True. The religious powers that be have thought of this one. In order to preserve their paying flock, they have made it impossible for suicide victims to enter heaven.

What a stitch up!
    Its not like Christians want to commit suicide to get to heaven. We have a mission, and only one chance to live life here on earth. And to bring along other friends, and live life to the fullest because phase one is so short, and when were needed most.

I honestly have no fear of death, although that may change if I'm on my deathbed, I wont know until I'm there.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 01:55
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    I honestly have no fear of death
    Then your religion has done its job, God or not.
  10. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 02:28
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Then your religion has done its job, God or not.
    is that a bad thing?
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 02:31
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    is that a bad thing?
    not if that's what you keep it for (and, importantly, keep it restricted to). If it starts coming in the way of you living your life in the real world, I'd say it is a bad thing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree