2. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 17:16
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Anyone have a ballpark figure?

P-
    Well, if God created us to die, it's the entire population of history.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 17:48
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    Well, if God created us to die, it's the entire population of history.
    Let's not count old age and blaming God when you get hit by a bus, etc. We can blame Him when He tells people to kill for Him...

What number do we get?

P-
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 17:54
    no god - no number
  5. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 17:56
    I don't believe that God has personally told anyone to kill anyone else. As a matter of fact, one of the Ten Commandments is Thou Shalt Not Kill.

People killing in the name of God is a different story. Boondock Saints, anyone?
  6. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 17:58
    Let's not count old age and blaming God when you get hit by a bus, etc. We can blame Him when He tells people to kill for Him...

What number do we get?

P-
    Well according to the bible, before the time of Noah people used to live much, much longer than they do today. If we trust the bible, that would make God responsible for old age. So I think old age ought to be counted, but maybe not busses I guess.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 18:04
    I don't believe that God has personally told anyone to kill anyone else....
    "However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes." Deuteronomy 20:16
    "This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'" 1 Samuel 15:2,3
  8. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 18:04
    I don't believe that God has personally told anyone to kill anyone else. As a matter of fact, one of the Ten Commandments is Thou Shalt Not Kill.

What about "thou shall not suffer a witch to live", which is in Leviticus I believe (please correct that if it's wrong any of you bible thumpers). That was the justification for all the witch trials. I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of other places in the bible where the penalty for something is death or where God wants unbelievers killed. The last plauge with the first born children is an example of God specifically killing, or any time a prophet killed anybody.

Of course this is only true if you assume that the bible is the word of God, but most of you think that, so I figure these are valid arguements.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 18:07
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    but maybe not busses I guess.
    why? "god created man" man created busses so god created busses - bus kills man - god kills man.
  10. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 18:17
    Originally posted by trevor33
    why? "god created man" man created busses so god created busses - bus kills man - god kills man.
    Good point, we're back to: If there is a God, he/she/it is ultimately responsible for all deaths ever.

I think we should make this a more interesting debate. If we assume for a minute that all the Greek gods are real, who has the highest kill count there?
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 18:281 edit
    God killed my pot plants when I FORGOT to water them?

Gar!

I'm really looking for the number of people killed by His flood, Him asking others to kill for Him, and any other time He might have smited someone(s).

P-
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 20:12

P-
    What difference would killing 1 or 100,000,000 make? I don't think evil should be measured by quantity. Would less make it any more acceptable -- or notch God lower on the scale of villains? Methinks the question should rather be rephrased to question whether a creator may destroy his/her/its creation.
  13. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 20:17
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    Well according to the bible, before the time of Noah people used to live much, much longer than they do today. If we trust the bible, that would make God responsible for old age. So I think old age ought to be counted, but maybe not busses I guess.
    The popular young-earth theory ascribes the enormous antediluvian age to a greenhouse-like vapour canopy which filtered harmful radiation and collapsed to cause Noah's flood.
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 21:36
    Originally posted by Halitose
    The popular young-earth theory ascribes the enormous antediluvian age to a greenhouse-like vapour canopy which filtered harmful radiation and collapsed to cause Noah's flood.
    . . . and released so much heat when it converted to rain that it melted the earth and the Ark. Then God went into action.

He cooled the earth and magicked away all the extra water. He brought Noah and the Ark back into existence inside a time vacuum such that they felt they had traveled for one year. Then he instantiated all the vegetation for the Ark animals to consume. He made the carnivores not hungry until the herbivores could recuperate their numbers. He altered the gene pool so as to disguise the enormous genetic bottleneck. He made all geological indicators look like no great flood had ever occurred. He added some pyramids, and even cheated by throwing a few people in east asia. Finally, he made sure to turn down the magic earth thermostat since the giant vapor heat shield had been removed.

Supernatural Omnipotent Omniscient Manipulators. Gotta love 'em.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 21:55

P-
    heaps.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree