1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 17:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    Fine, except I don't see the block universe in itself as a phenomenon-in-flux, or as an event. in fact I see it as quite the opposite. However, to the extent that free will means the making of decisions by an agent, I tend to agree that free will is preserved. IOW, within the block 4-D universe we know, I believe there occurs the making of decisions, and witho ...[text shortened]... s, needs to come to the fore and be revealed with clarity. Does it mean the making of decisions?
    We agree it ‘s only a theory, yes. However, in the block universe model, according to the pieces of info available at the site you presented, every moment in time is equally real, so the whole of Space and Time must be laid out in one unchanging spacetime block; it follows that, if the cone indeed envelops all the possible changes and/ or fluctuations of the observer block universe according to the theory, then the block universe is indeed a phenomenon-in-flux that keeps together, at the same frozen spacetime, every element of reality (bit) of its whole history, which includes its evolution. Since this is the case according to the theory, my point still is, as I told you previously when I checked the site you mentioned, that time and the block universe should be essentially one; but in such a case, time would be non-existent at all in the block universe, and therefore it cannot be contained in it as one of its 4-D dimensions.

As regards the rest of your post, I conceive as “free will” a specific capacity of rational agents to choose a course of action from among various alternatives according to those agents' Sensitive Dependence on Initial Conditions. Of course I admit that there are willings that are not free due physical, causal, philosophical, psychological, biological, theological and other constraints, but I believe in free will simply because in my opinion the agent's freedom cannot be seriously undermined and/ or diminished by the tampering I just mentioned. This is the core of my last post at the 3rd page of this thread
    😡
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 18:351 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    We agree it ‘s only a theory, yes. However, in the block universe model, according to the pieces of info available at the site you presented, every moment in time is equally real, so the whole of Space and Time must be laid out in one unchanging spacetime block; it follows that, if the cone indeed envelops all the possible changes and/ or fluctuations o ...[text shortened]... tampering I just mentioned. This is the core of my last post at the 3rd page of this thread
    😡
    "...time would be non-existent at all in the block universe, and therefore it cannot be contained in it as one of its 4-D dimensions. "

Maybe, but just as two events can be spatially separated in the block universe, they can be temporally separated. I have to read again to see whether all possible changes are enveloped in the block or it is only the actual changes that are enveloped.

http://www.ipod.org.uk/reality/reality_block_universe.asp

I think your concept of free will is coherent, but it might not satisfy people who want free will to be the justification for assigning moral responsibility to actions.
  3. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 19:53
    Originally posted by JS357
    "...time would be non-existent at all in the block universe, and therefore it cannot be contained in it as one of its 4-D dimensions. "

Maybe, but just as two events can be spatially separated in the block universe, they can be temporally separated. I have to read again to see whether all possible changes are enveloped in the block or it is only the ...[text shortened]... people who want free will to be the justification for assigning moral responsibility to actions.
    This is what I mean; if two events there in are indeed temporarily separated, the observer block universe should be by force a phenomenon-in-flux;

Edit: "I think... ...actions."

Sure thing😡
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 21:41
    Originally posted by black beetle
    And you sip them straight? Without rum??
    😡
    Oh, there's no doubt that a bit of rum intensifies the effect. πŸ™‚
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 21:47
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    but your choices are not the same as that of someone born in Somalia, or in Asia where the slave trade is rampant. Where is the free will of an Asian girl sold into slavery?
    That was the basis of my argument. Since he's NOT a slave, I imagined that he had the same free will as the rest of us.

And I also might remind you that a person enslaved still retains a philosophical free will. God and Christ can still be chosen. Or rejected. It is still their choice. No one can take that choice away, even their slavemaster.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Feb '14 23:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That was the basis of my argument. Since he's NOT a slave, I imagined that he had the same free will as the rest of us.

And I also might remind you that a person enslaved still retains a philosophical free will. God and Christ can still be chosen. Or rejected. It is still their choice. No one can take that choice away, even their slavemaster.
    what about the free will of a person with mental illness/disability?
  7. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 04:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Very good Suzianne.

I only put that statement out there to make people think.
  8. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    14 Feb '14 04:29
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    what about the free will of a person with mental illness/disability?
    First, basically, i am glad i am not God.

This might sound a bit rash. It is possible that God allows these people to exist for us. For us to find compassion within ourselves in helping others.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree