Moves
    10 Sep '07 06:18
    Originally posted by Yuga
    Is love:

Coercion?

A controlled rush of euphoria?

A mutual feeling of attraction?

Please discuss. 🙂
    I assume you are talking about romantic love.
    It is definitely not always mutual.
    It is not controlled.
    I don't see how it could be coercion in any way.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 09:231 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I assume you are talking about romantic love.
    It is definitely not always mutual.
    It is not controlled.
    I don't see how it could be coercion in any way.
    So if there be a God of love who is all powerful how does such a God go about loving without controlling/coercing?
  4. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 09:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    So if there be a God of love who is all powerful how does such a God go about loving without controlling/coercing?
    Are you talking about Aphrodite?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 10:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    What do you mean by a 'God of love'? Are we talking about something we revere and beg to try and make others love us? But then you imply that the god in question loves us. That cant really be romantic love at all or it better be a female god we are talking about!
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 05:55
    Baby don't hurt me
    no more
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 18:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What do you mean by a 'God of love'? Are we talking about something we revere and beg to try and make others love us? But then you imply that the god in question loves us. That cant really be romantic love at all or it better be a female god we are talking about!
    You are changing the subject. You stated that love is deviod of coercion and control. Therefore, if there be a God who is a God of such love, how does he go about creation with having absolute control?
  8. Gangster Land
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 19:03
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Are you talking about Aphrodite?
    hahaha, Rec'd
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 19:12
    Neither.
    Love is an ilusion. Some fools believe in it and are seldom happy, but tend to channel all their emotions and efforts feeding this ilusionary feeling. When they realize it was something only in their minds, they tend to get depressive, or frustrated. It's cure origins a realistic individual.
  10. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 21:011 edit
    Someone sounds a little bitter.

Love definitely exists in the world. I'd go as far as to say it is the only real thing in the world. Most of reality is a relative perception based from the observer to the subject, and thus, it is difficult to agree on most things.
    However, regarding Love, people across time and space concur that it is the most powerful motivating factor they've ever experienced.

That being said, Psychology shows us that there are many barriers built around our psyche in early stages of development that can impede our ability to live a healthy emotional existence.

Although, if you define Love as "being married" or "having sex" or some other ephemeral quality of the relationship between two humans... you're going to run into problems around the semantics of Love.

Do some reading on it; it's a very complicated subject that goes much deeper than any summarization could do it justice.

Are you chasing after a Love that is perfect, unchanging, and unconditional? You may need a god to fill that role ;-)
    Or can you accept a Love that is imperfect, changing, and conditional? That's the kind we Humans can handle along with the goal of reaching the Ideal Love means that we will evolve our own concepts on Love so we are always treating others and ourselves with our most up-to-date idea of Love.

If you want a proof of Love, it is a simple matter of finding it's negative: Hate. Hate's not hard to find in the world, so just look where it doesn't exist and you'll have a good idea of Love. Mother Theresa, Ghandi, Jesus, and Bhudda all gave pretty good life-long examples of what Love can help a person achieve in a life time. The tough part is sorting through the miles of crap that have been appended to their lives and seeing what were their real messages.
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 21:40
    If you want a proof of Love, it is a simple matter of finding it's negative: Hate.
    Love's antipode is disdain, not hate.
    Unless you're on a good/bad measure.
    But i guess this discussion is hard... each one has its own concept of love, passion, hate, disdain, etc... They can be different, because these feelings can be many times subjective. Either way, they are feelings, and exist only in our minds (hearts, speaking metaphorically). We can do whatever we want with them, either for good or bad. (Good and bad also exist in our minds and are concepts).
  12. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 00:12
    Originally posted by serigado
    Either way, they are feelings, and exist only in our minds (hearts, speaking metaphorically). We can do whatever we want with them, either for good or bad. (Good and bad also exist in our minds and are concepts).
    Dostoyevsky would disagree. It's one thing to debate that emotions only exist in the "mind", but one really cannot debate that they are paramount in the Human decision making process.

And I think between Fyodor and Ayn Rand, the former has the stronger argument.

While I think that your view is a step up from the average "Good/Bad" paradigm people often get stuck in; pretending like Good/Bad and Right/Wrong are just labels is the other side of that fallacy.

Per Aristotle, I have to say the Truth probably lies somewhere between the lines.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 00:29
    Is love:

Coercion?

Please discuss. 🙂
    Go read 1 Cor. 13
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 02:39
    Originally posted by serigado
    Neither.
    Love is an ilusion. Some fools believe in it and are seldom happy, but tend to channel all their emotions and efforts feeding this ilusionary feeling. When they realize it was something only in their minds, they tend to get depressive, or frustrated. It's cure origins a realistic individual.
    :'(😲:'(😲:'(
  15. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 03:51
    Is love:

Coercion?

Please discuss. 🙂
    Is a parent's love for a child based on "a mutual feeling of attraction" or a "controlled rush of euphoria" or are there different sorts of love, different ways love manifests itself?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree