1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 May '18 19:04
    What you do, or what you believe?

(In the broadest trans-religious/ideology sense)
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '18 19:11
    Originally posted by @divegeester

The two are inseparable. What you believe dictates what you do.

“Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.”

(Proverbs 4:23)
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 May '18 19:13
    It's more important to combine the two than to be pondering or seeking to rationalize a dichotomy between the two. If what you do and the impact you have on others is not intricately linked to what you believe, then I'd say your life is out of whack.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 May '18 19:17

Tricky. Beliefs are fulfilled in action, while actions are governed by belief. (Or at least, should be).

(This thread I fear will be gobbled up by the resident pariah).
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 May '18 19:25
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Tricky. Beliefs are fulfilled in action, while actions are governed by belief. (Or at least, should be).

One of the fascinating things about many of the religionists here - going back many years - has been how they are so profoundly obsessed with talking the talk (and thinking the think) and so averse to discussing or demonstrating the importance of walking the walk.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '18 19:32
    Originally posted by @fmf
    One of the fascinating things about many of the religionists here - going back many years - has been how they are so profoundly obsessed with talking the talk (and thinking the think) and so averse to discussing or demonstrating the importance of walking the walk.
    And you know what believers do when they’re not on RHP and participating in the forum?

This forum may be the sum total of your life, but I doubt it has anywhere near the same prominence for anyone else.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '18 19:33
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

Don’t try to be insightful or profound; you’re embarrassing yourself.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '18 19:36
    It's more important to combine the two than to be pondering or seeking to rationalize a dichotomy between the two. If what you do and the impact you have on others is not intricately linked to what you believe, then I'd say your life is out of whack.
    Your disbelief in moral absolutes and lack of a moral compass is clearly represented by your behavior in here - the lying, trolling and pretentious pseudo intellectualism - so your life is not out of whack in that sense.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 May '18 21:00
    “Moral absolutes...”

Hmmm
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 May '18 22:01
    I've said this before, and you have laughably denied it, but again, when certain Christians have tried to demonstrate how they 'walk the walk', they were met by the biggest bunch of pushback ever seen on this forum, most of it coming from you.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 May '18 22:14
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I've said this before, and you have laughably denied it, but again, when certain Christians have tried to demonstrate how they 'walk the walk', they were met by the biggest bunch of pushback ever seen on this forum, most of it coming from you.
    ...when certain Christians have tried to demonstrate how they 'walk the walk', they were met by the biggest bunch of pushback ever seen on this forum, most of it coming from

What for example? I think you are imagining this to have happened or maybe you are just making it up. What are you referring to?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 May '18 22:33

I think in most honest people, they are linked.

Even though sometimes it is human nature to take the low road, if left to their own devices, without threat from others, most would have actions governed by their belief.

But here again, it appears to me that one should have a belief first, and then it is equipped to govern actions, never the other way 'round (meaning that one should not base their beliefs on simply doing whatever one wants to do). Even though some claim to have no belief about a particular subject, their actions about it are guided by their 'non-belief' surrounding it.

Such as "I do not believe that either Crest or Colgate is the better toothpaste, and so I merely buy whichever is on sale." Certainly, if one believes that one IS better than the other, buying the one considered inferior isn't really an honest action guided by principle, yet might be an action guided by something other than belief, such as the inferior one is markedly less expensive than the other. If you eventually find that your toothpaste choice has been inferior all these years, then at least your choice was a free choice.

Sort of like, which is better, getting paid, or paying bills? One provides for the other, so they cannot be compared, even though we would all rather get paid, and indeed, must get paid before the bills are paid. Certainly one should see to it that both happen. But if one plans to bumble through life without a job, then one should probably make efforts to reduce how much one has to pay to a manageable amount. Conversely, if one has a well-paying job, one finds they can easily afford that stop for coffee and a danish on the way to work. Or a better place to live, or a better car, etc. Again, the belief drives the actions.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 May '18 22:351 edit
    [b]...when certain Christians have tried to demonstrate how they 'walk the walk', they were met by the biggest bunch of pushback ever seen on this forum, most of it coming from

What for example? I think you are imagining this to have happened or maybe you are just making it up. What are you referring to?[/b]
    We've all seen it happen on numerous occasions. It is self-evident. Except perhaps, to the one who has done it the most. No surprise there.

I guess your blindness to it is what enables you to be such a huge hypocrite about it. And that's the best I can say about that.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 May '18 22:43
    We've all seen it happen on numerous occasions. It is self-evident. Except perhaps, to the one who has done it the most. No surprise there.

I guess your blindness to it is what enables you to be such a huge hypocrite about it. And that's the best I can say about that.
    Give examples of it. I think your are being untruthful or perhaps paranoid. Saying it is "self-evident" or that I have "blindness" to it is just evasion. You're making this up. Cite an example of me "pushing back" against any Christian wanting to talk about 'walking the walk'.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 May '18 22:48
    Such as "I do not believe that either Crest or Colgate is the better toothpaste, and so I merely buy whichever is on sale." Certainly, if one believes that one IS better than the other, buying the one considered inferior isn't really an honest action guided by principle, yet might be an action guided by something other than belief, such as the inferior on ...[text shortened]... oothpaste choice has been inferior all these years, then at least your choice was a free choice.
    How does this toothpaste analogy apply to beliefs in the broadest trans-religious/ideology sense [as mentioned in the OP]?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree