1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 21:06
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    No matter where you look, you will find the same answer, i.e., it is a process. That leaves the same question still sitting there, doesn't it?

This says process, not act. They are not synonymous. The acts in question are the reproductive
    acts. The influences are whether the reproducers are going to be more or less likely to reproduce
    (based on their survivability).

I used the word 'mechanism' before, or 'description.' Process is a better word, I suppose, largely
    because I would hope it would help to compel the reader to stop thinking of NS as a force
    that acts upon a species. Somehow this is not the case with you.

Nemesio
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 00:191 edit
    Hint: read the title of the thread.
    ...and so now you have answered your own question, are you satisfied?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 15:32
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    [b]No matter where you look, you will find the same answer, i.e., it is a process. That leaves the same question still sitting there, doesn't it?

This says process, not act. They are not synonymous. The acts in question are the reproductive
    acts. The influences are whether the reproducers are going to be mor ...[text shortened]... S as a force
    that acts upon a species. Somehow this is not the case with you.

Nemesio[/b]
    It shouldn't be lost on you, yet it is. Curious. Let's play a little game, then, shall we? Regarding the cellular process known as photosynthesis, a plant contains photosynthetic cells. Since NS is said to occur at the cellular level, which of the living organisms on the planet can be rightly said to have NS cells?
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 16:41
    Since NS is said to occur at the cellular level, which of the living organisms on the planet can be rightly said to have NS cells?
    Natural selection occurs at the species level. You are either misstating, misunderstanding, or
    misquoting whatever source to which you are trying to appeal.

NS isn't a property of cells.

Nemesio
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 21:15
    It shouldn't be lost on you, yet it is. Curious. Let's play a little game, then, shall we? Regarding the cellular process known as photosynthesis, a plant contains photosynthetic cells. Since NS is said to occur at the cellular level, which of the living organisms on the planet can be rightly said to have NS cells?
    Every organism on the planet has naturally selected cells.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 08:24
    Again, you challenge bereft of weight. I have read each and every post within the thread. The best that has been offered--- and even that without agreement--- is what NS does, not what it is. Give it a shot, though, since you think yourself up to the task. What is NS?
    I refer you to my second post in the thread:

In nature, (ie amongst living things not deliberately being bread by man), there are a number of factors which result in selective breeding. There are a vast number of these factors ranging from environmental effects to the behavior or characteristics of the individuals. The overall result of these effects is referred to as 'Natural Selection'.

As yet, I do not think you have challenged that definition nor asked for clarification, yet you repeatedly claim that nobody has defined Natural Selection.

Just to expand on the definition above, 'Natural Selection' can also be used to describe a similar effect on any set of replicating entities, including non-life, or components of life.

Keep in mind that you cannot claim my definition is wrong, as it is a definition and hence has no truth value. The best you can do to challenge it is to claim that it is non-standard ie does not match the definition used by others.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 08:28
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    NS isn't a property of cells.

Nemesio
    I would agree that it is not a property, but it does apply to cells, and in fact all replicating entities including some components of cells such as the mitochondrion.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 09:051 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I refer you to my second post in the thread:

In nature, (ie amongst living things not deliberately being bread by man), there are a number of factors which result in selective breeding. There are a vast number of these factors ranging from environmental effects to the behavior or characteristics of the individuals. The overall result of these effect enge it is to claim that it is non-standard ie does not match the definition used by others.
    You're right: your definition may need a second look. Give me a few days and I'll respond.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 15:22
    did a god create man? I somehow doubt it. Is there actually a Universe, not sure. Will science find all the answers, that is a laugh. does creationism acurately describe anything? no

This discussion would all be one big waste of time, if time were real.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree