1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 16:132 edits
    Why does "God", and the space in which it supposedly dwells exist? what is the ultimate purpose of this "God" entity?

Question open to all theists (and of course non-theists if they wish)
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 16:43
    He's the ultimate Alpha Male. Even Emporers acknowledge that there is one greater than they. It helps keep brutal warlords in line by making people fear God more than any man,
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 16:491 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    He's the ultimate Alpha Male. Even Emporers acknowledge that there is one greater than they. It helps keep brutal warlords in line by making people fear God more than any man,
    Ok, but then why "G"od? what is so special about this entity that the extended universe (housing "G"od) required it to exist (as opposed to some other deity) before there were even emporers or warlords to acknowlege, or be fearful of anything (respectively)?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 17:02
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Ok, but then why "G"od? what is so special about this entity that the extended universe (housing "G"od) required it to exist (as opposed to some other deity) before there were even emporers or warlords to acknowlege, or be fearful of anything (respectively)?
    I'm an atheist. I don't think "G"od existed before emporers. Monotheism came after the Egyptian Empire.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 17:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm an atheist. I don't think "G"od existed before emporers. Monotheism came after the Egyptian Empire.
    I figured you weren't a theist; that said, given that you answered it, and a reasonable response to it would allow me to express the nub of my enquiry better, I chose to treat your answer like an answer from a theist.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 17:23
    Why does "God", and the space in which it supposedly dwells exist? what is the ultimate purpose of this "God" entity?

Question open to [b]all
    theists (and of course non-theists if they wish)[/b]
    Is this a counter to the age old claim by theists that there is no meaning to life without God?
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 17:254 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Is this a counter to the age old claim by theists that there is no meaning to life without God?
    Pretty much - though I didn't want to declare my intention for asking this question in the OP (I don't actually think the question as to what meaning life has ("G"od or no "G"od ) is even valid - well it is valid in a grammatical sense but that's about it).
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 18:25

Question open to [b]all
    theists (and of course non-theists if they wish)[/b]
    I think there are many reasons God must exist. I do not pretend to know the ultimate purpose of God. However, I believe one purpose is to show how insignificant we are "in the grand scheme of things" and yet show that God places great worth to us, because He created us in His own image so we can worship Him.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 18:303 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think there are many reasons God must exist. I do not pretend to know the ultimate purpose of God. However, I believe one purpose is to show how insignificant we are "in the grand scheme of things" and yet show that God places great worth to us, because He created us in His own image so we can worship Him.
    I'm more interested in why "G"od exists independent of humans or other things it creates (or a purpose, simultaneously, for both the things it created and there being a thing ("G"od) that created them). Indeed as far as most theists are concerned "G"od precedes man - so why did it exist before humans were even around to feel insignificant?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 19:54
    I'm more interested in why "G"od exists independent of humans or other things it creates (or a purpose, [b]simultaneously, for both the things it created and there being a thing ("G"od) that created them). Indeed as far as most theists are concerned "G"od precedes man - so why did it exist before humans were even around to feel insignificant?[/b]
    The world makes no sense without a Creator. We believe we are the most intelligent of the creatures and we also know we did not create ourselves. Therefore, there must be a Creator and we call Him God. It is as simple as that. No joke here.
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 19:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The world makes no sense without a Creator. We believe we are the most intelligent of the creatures and we also know we did not create ourselves. Therefore, there must be a Creator and we call Him God. It is as simple as that. No joke here.
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
    You have reverted back to RJ Chump mode - thanks for your contribution.

Any other theists care to tackle this one?
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 20:20
    You have reverted back to RJ Chump mode - thanks for your contribution.

Any other theists care to tackle this one?
    I must get ready to leave now. I am heading to Columbia to play OTB chess.
    I will let someone else give you the answer you want to hear. Have a nice day.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 01:36
    I just wanna know what is this "emporer"?

The word is emperor.

More to the topic in the OP, there is only one God. Why are there any other "g"ods?
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 01:453 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I just wanna know what is this "emporer"?

The word is emperor.

More to the topic in the OP, there is only one God. Why are there any other "g"ods?
    I acknowledge your spelling correction (monkey see monkey do!)

As for getting closer to the OP, granting (within this thread) your claim there is only one "G"od - what is the reason and/or purpose for this entity existing?
    Reveal Hidden Content
    Clearly the reason other \"g\"ods exist (with or without the concession I make in this post) is that humans invented them to help cope with their own fears of death or to control others
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 02:02
    Clearly the reason other "g"ods exist (with or without the concession I make in this post) is that humans invented them to help cope with their own fears of death or to control others
    Yeah, yeah, the definition of "g"ods.

What I meant is, we have the one God, why do we need any other "g"ods?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree