1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 19:51
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    There are several standards by which these types of things can be judged.
    i.e. those that satisfy your arbitrary standards.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 20:14
    Originally posted by telerion
    i.e. those that satisfy your arbitrary standards.
    Tell you what: I'll list the standards by which these types of claims can be measured, and you tell us which of the list are arbitrary.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 20:18
    Tell you what: I'll list the standards by which these types of claims can be measured, and you tell us which of the list are arbitrary.
    Go ahead, please.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 21:37
    No offense intended, but why look at imitations when you have the bona fide? To be sure, there are plenty of knock-offs from which to choose, a veritable smorgasbord to suit any number of tastes. Truth is subject to easy 'cut and paste' treatments these days; however, even these attacks cannot erode its existence.
    I would very much like to see you convince all the non- christians on the planet of that. I suggest you first begin with the atheists (dont worry there a push over compared to muslims).
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 22:34
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I would very much like to see you convince all the non- christians on the planet of that. I suggest you first begin with the atheists (dont worry there a push over compared to muslims).
    As the atheist is beginning from a totally indefensible position, you may wish to rethink that stance.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 22:441 edit
    As the atheist is beginning from a totally indefensible position, you may wish to rethink that stance.
    Lol, what? Perhaps you'd care to justify such a ludicrous claim.

EDIT: And are you going to post that list?
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 22:50
    Originally posted by Starrman

Haven't you heard? The atheist is committed to the claim that the universe came from nothing. From nothing! 😲

But, as everyone knows, nothing comes from nothing, because everything that exists has to have a cause!

Except God, He doesn't have to have a cause! Hooray for God!

[Refute at your leisure.]
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 22:52
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Haven't you heard? The atheist is committed to the claim that the universe came from nothing. From nothing! 😲

But, as everyone knows, nothing comes from nothing, because everything that exists has to have a cause!

Silly me, there was me imagining things like burdens of proof and logical consitency. I surely am a dolt.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 23:17
    Originally posted by Starrman

In order to state that there is no proof for God's existence, the atheist would have to know all alleged proofs that exist in order to then state that there is no proof for God's existence. But, since he cannot know all things, he cannot logically state there is no proof for God's existence.
    At best, an atheist can only state that of all the alleged proofs he has seen thus far, none have worked. He could even say that he believes there are no proofs for God's existence. But then, this means that there is the possibility that there is a proof or proofs out there and that he simply has not yet encountered one.
    Nevertheless, if there was a proof that truly did prove God's existence, would the atheist be able to accept it given that his presuppositions are in opposition to the existence of God? In other words, given that the atheist has a presuppositional base that there is no God, in order for him to accept a proof for God's existence, he would have to change his presuppositional base. This is not easy to do and would involve a major paradigm shift in the belief structure of the atheist. Therefore, an atheist is presuppositionally hostile to any proofs for God's existence and is less likely to be objective about such attempted proofs.
    List? Why, I thought you'd never ask.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 23:18

Well, at least someone here has boiled the issue down to faith. Thank you for your keen analytical perspective.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 23:271 edit
    In order to state that there is no proof for God's existence, the atheist would have to know all alleged proofs that exist in order to then state that there is no proof for God's existence.

This is a false premise. If you applied this premise to everything, you would not be allowed to disbelieve anything whatsoever. You clearly have no real understanding of the atheist position. As such the rest of your post is nonsense.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 23:28
    Except, of course, for relevance.
  13. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 23:30
    In order to state that there is no proof for God's existence, the atheist would have to know all alleged proofs that exist in order to then state that there is no proof for God's existence. But, since he cannot know all things, he cannot logically state there is no proof for God's existence.
    At best, an atheist can only state that of all the alleged ...[text shortened]... ely to be objective about such attempted proofs.
    List? Why, I thought you'd never ask.
    Have you heard of induction?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 00:08
    Have you heard of induction?
    Frantically google-searching.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 01:29
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    What is this "God"?
    Isa 40:21-26
    21 Have you not known? Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth?
    22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
    23 He brings the princes to nothing; he makes the judges of the earth useless.
    24 Scarcely shall they be planted, Scarcely shall they be sown, Scarcely shall their stock take root in the earth, when He will also blow on them, and they will wither, and the whirlwind will take them away like stubble.
    25 "To whom then will you liken Me, or to whom shall I be equal?" says the Holy One.
    26 Lift up your eyes on high, and see who has created these things, who brings out their host by number; he calls them all by name, by the greatness of His might and the strength of His power; not one is missing.
    (NKJ)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree