1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 10:49
    John 18:37-40a
    “You are a king, then!” said Pilate.
    Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”
    “What is truth?” Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, “I find no basis for a charge against him.
    But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release ‘the king of the Jews’?”
    They shouted back, “No, not him! Give us Barabbas!

Clearly the Jews of the day did not accept Jesus' truth, they preferred the criminal Barabbas.

Whether you are Christian or other, what is the truth for you?
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 11:381 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”
    “What is truth?” Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, “I find no basis for ferred the criminal Barabbas.

Truth would have no contradictions. No matter what in either science, mathematics or even in the Bible. The problem is understanding it. Time usually makes that possible with God's help but the catch with spiritual matters is imperfect man with agendas that aren't always for the promotion of truth and God's enemy Satan the Devil who will dilute and destroy it by all means possible.
    Truth is hand in hand with honesty and for one to be honest especially with oneself it would mean one would have to admit if and when you find untruth in your spiritual beliefs. The Bible says to constantly test the scriptures and by testing "scripture with scripture" and then making the needed adjustments no matter how hard it may be to change your personal beliefs or what your churches teach, it would have to be done to find the truth.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 13:16
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Truth would have no contradictions. No matter what in either science, mathematics or even in the Bible. The problem is understanding it. Time usually makes that possible with God's help but the catch with spiritual matters is imperfect man with agendas that aren't always for the promotion of truth and God's enemy Satan the Devil who will dilute and destr ...[text shortened]... r personal beliefs or what your churches teach, it would have to be done to find the truth.
    Is it true that you are the number 144,001 ?
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 13:18
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Is it true that you are the number 144,001 ?
    Nope..Not part of the anointed.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 13:50
    “What is truth?” Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, “I find no basis for ...[text shortened]... ferred the criminal Barabbas.

what is really interesting is how specific Christ was with regard to his designation,
    notice he terms it, THE truth several times, which seems strangely at odds with
    relativism.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 14:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what is really interesting is how specific Christ was with regard to his designation,
    notice he terms it, THE truth several times, which seems strangely at odds with
    relativism.
    Morning Robbie. And words and terms such as exacting, beware, few, narrow, devotion, abhor, abstain, accurate knowledge, accurately, afraid, law, agreement, jealous God, devotion, demand, avoid, bear witness truthfully, remain clean, complete, deception, detestable, devious, lie, lying, lawlessness, pure in worship, leaven, aright, refine, law, etc, etc ,as this can go on and on with us learning God's view on truth and justice.
    We as humans have to learn what the truths of God are from God and his word the Bible, not as we want it to be or from mankind but as God wants it to be.
    The truth is not always what we want to here or have been taught or be the popular thought just as Jesus taught. It cost him his life........
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Morning Robbie. And words and terms such as exacting, beware, few, narrow, devotion, abhor, abstain, accurate knowledge, accurately, afraid, law, agreement, jealous God, devotion, demand, avoid, bear witness truthfully, remain clean, complete, deception, detestable, devious, lie, lying, lawlessness, pure in worship, leaven, aright, refine, law, etc, etc r have been taught or be the popular thought just as Jesus taught. It cost him his life........
    yes, its all very specific, mmm, intwesting! 🙂
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 15:33
    “What is truth?” Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, “I find no basis for ...[text shortened]... ferred the criminal Barabbas.

I like this formulation, which is inspired by Wittgenstein:

A fact is that which is the case. A truth is a statement of fact, stated in a certain understood and accepted way.

"God is said to be omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent — this would be “fact.” But God is also said to be a fortress and a strong tower — this is “true,” but it is not “fact.”"

http://theologyandculture.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/truth-vs-fact-inerrancy-and-wittgenstein/

I have found reference in Psalm 18:2 to rock, fortress, shield and horn. Haven't looked hard tor strong tower.

http://bible.cc/psalms/18-2.htm

The truth of God being a fortress and strong tower is understood and accepted by followers of the Bible, as metaphor.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 15:57

I think truth is a relational property between structured propositional content and corresponding fact(s). As JS357 mentioned, a truth can be viewed as a statement of fact (e.g., a proposition that has the right correspondence with facts).
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 May '11 12:57

Christ said "I am the way, the truth and the life."
    He said also to follow Him and obey his commandments.
    [Not once but many times these statements are repeated]

I am a follower of Christ and truth for me in religion, is the words and teachings of Christ.
    If Christ said it clearly then its 100% TRUTH.
    If Christ implied it then it probably has some element of truth.
    If Christ did not say it at all, then its some mans interpretation and subject to error.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 May '11 13:08
    Originally posted by Rajk999

I am a follower of Christ and truth for me in religion, is the words and teachings of Christ.
    If Christ implied it then it probably has some ele ...[text shortened]... uth.
    If Christ did not say it at all, then its some mans interpretation and subject to error.

Unfortunately it seems that the vast majority of Christians seem to believe that they can do something less than that and still have "eternal life"/"heaven"/"salvation".
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 May '11 16:23
    Originally posted by Rajk999

If Christ implied it then it probably has some ele ...[text shortened]... uth.
    I'm not disputing anything here in this comment, but I wonder how different Christians interpret the scope of the commandments that apply to us. For example, is it agreed by all that the Sermon on the Mount contains commandments? If Jesus was speaking to the disciples, does that apply to us? Should any statements in the NT that is stated in command-like form, attributed to someone other than Jesus, or that are unattributed (say, that Paul wrote), be taken as Jesus' commandments? Are there Jesus' commandments in Revelations? Has anyone compiled all the commandments from the OT and NT (other than in the Bible)? If God commanded a people to do something in the OT, does that commandment apply to us?
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    02 May '11 17:50

For me there is no such thing as Truth, there are only truths, and to claim one's version of truth is right solely by virtue of bare assertion is nothing but a gesture of either profound ignorance or tremendous arrogance, usually a misture of both.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 May '11 19:17
    Originally posted by JS357
    I'm not disputing anything here in this comment, but I wonder how different Christians interpret the scope of the commandments that apply to us. For example, is it agreed by all that the Sermon on the Mount contains commandments? If Jesus was speaking to the disciples, does that apply to us? Should any statements in the NT that is stated in command-like form, ...[text shortened]... ble)? If God commanded a people to do something in the OT, does that commandment apply to us?
    Edit for clarity:

I'm not disputing anything here in this comment, but I wonder how different Christians interpret the scope of the commandments that apply to us. For example:

(1) Is it agreed by all that the Sermon on the Mount contains commandments?

(2) On some occasion if Jesus was speaking to the disciples, does that apply to us?

(3) Should any statements in the NT that are vstated in command-like form, attributed to someone other than Jesus, or that are unattributed (say, that Paul wrote), be taken as Jesus' commandments?

(4) Are there Jesus' commandments in Revelations?

(5) Has anyone compiled all the commandments from the OT and NT (other than in the Bible)?

(6) If God commanded a people to do something in the OT, does that commandment apply to us?
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 May '11 22:44
    Originally posted by JS357
    Edit for clarity:

I'm not disputing anything here in this comment, but I wonder how different Christians interpret the scope of the commandments that apply to us. For example:

(1) Is it agreed by all that the Sermon on the Mount contains commandments?

(2) On some occasion if Jesus was speaking to the disciples, does that apply to us?

(3) Should a ...[text shortened]...
    (6) If God commanded a people to do something in the OT, does that commandment apply to us?
    The words of Christ are the words of salvation, and from what He said, you need the following:
    - Faith and belief - ie love God
    - Baptism
    - Good Works - the chief of which is to love your neighbour as yourself by living a life of charity.

I cant answer your question in detail. Hopefully someone else will.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree