1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 00:02
    Originally posted by JS357
    So, among the various spiritual experts here, what's essential to there being a marriage?
    Partners accommodating each other as they change.
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 00:11
    The sex b4 marriage thread prompts me to ask what makes a marriage a marriage. Apparently something goes on involving 2 people and maybe another being or beings; with those 2 people meeting certain eligibility requirements and with certain things happening to result in them being married -- and by that fact, able to do things without certain negative consequen ...[text shortened]... d.

So, among the various spiritual experts here, what's essential to there being a marriage?
    There is common law marriage without a ceremony or marriage certificate, and that can full force of the marital laws and regulations.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 00:13
    The sex b4 marriage thread prompts me to ask what makes a marriage a marriage. Apparently something goes on involving 2 people and maybe another being or beings; with those 2 people meeting certain eligibility requirements and with certain things happening to result in them being married -- and by that fact, able to do things without certain negative consequen ...[text shortened]... d.

As an aside, the conventional wisdom is that you are no longer newlyweds after two years. Indeed, you had to married less than two years to apply to be on the Newlywed game show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Newlywed_Game
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 00:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    another fail, it has everything to do with spirituality , all one needs to do is compare the
    successful marital system of a spiritually vibrant country like India with the disgraceful
    divorce rate of Western nations, who deviod of any spirituality because of their
    adherence to base materialistic ideology, treat it with contempt.
    not associated with spirituality at all. india is a country vested in traditions and different culture. in countries where women are empowered, marriage has higher failure rates.

as indian women are becoming more empowered, divorce rate is increasing in india (and in other countries where women are gaining economic equality).
  5. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 01:011 edit
    a marriage is nothing more than a legal contract. it does not require nor preclude love, it does not require nor preclude spirituality, it can be between two or more partners.

in the united states, marriage is commonly between three partners; two consenting adults and the government. in many states, the two consenting adults must be of opposite genders due to some absurd bronze age mythology surviving through the ages.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 08:31
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    in the united states, marriage is commonly between three partners; two consenting adults and the government.
    I wouldn't call the government a 'partner'. The government provides a legal framework and some financial benefits etc, but they are not a 'partner' any more than say a hotel that gives you a discount on rooms if you are married.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 08:34
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    not associated with spirituality at all. india is a country vested in traditions and different culture. in countries where women are empowered, marriage has higher failure rates.

as indian women are becoming more empowered, divorce rate is increasing in india (and in other countries where women are gaining economic equality).
    I fully agree with this. Generally, low divorce rates are indicative of societies that force people to stay together in unhappy marriages that they would rather not be whether it is because of lack of empowerment or because religion or culture has such a strong bias against divorce that people would rather be unhappy in marriage than out of it.
    Anyone who claims that all marriage problems can and should be worked out at any cost, has not been in a bad relationship.
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 17:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I wouldn't call the government a 'partner'. The government provides a legal framework and some financial benefits etc, but they are not a 'partner' any more than say a hotel that gives you a discount on rooms if you are married.
    the government has a vested interest in the product of your marriage (which happens to be children). they also have the power do determine your competence and claim custody of your children. these sweeping powers make them the 3rd partner in marriages as opposed to something that can give discounts, like a hotel.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 17:341 edit

A marriage to me is a Covenant and not a contract.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 18:02
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I wonder if you mean this:

"In a backlash to the growing divorce rate, three states have begun to offer covenant contracts — a more binding form of legal marriage. ...A covenant marriage is a legal contract that is more costly to enter and exit than is a traditional marriage. By engaging in a covenant marriage, couples agree to undergo premarital counseling. Once married, this more binding union compels a legal accountability for the promise of marriage by requiring that fault once again be shown for marriage dissolution. Covenantly married couples give up their right to a no-fault divorce. Fault grounds for the dissolution of a covenant contract include adultery, felony conviction, abandonment, abuse, a 2-year separation or passage of a specified period following a judgment of separation from bed and board. These grounds reflect the narrow statutory requirements of divorce laws before the 1970s. In addition to the stipulations about legal accountability, covenantly married spouses are required to be separated for a specified period of time and undergo marital counseling before a divorce will be granted."

"Will You Covenant Marry Me? A Preliminary Look at a New Type of Marriage" http://www.palgrave-journals.com/eej/journal/v37/n3/full/eej200949a.html
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 01:33
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    you speak of the traditional marriage which was a treaty/alliance between two houses?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree