1. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    23 Jul '06 19:06
    Actually, there is no clear definition as to what a cult is and the question posed was: “What does it mean to you?” But to answer a couple of questions about my post:

telerion
    So Scientology is not a cult?
    No. It’s a kind of self-help philosophy founded by Ron Hubbard.

Nordlys
    So a cult is a religion which is somewhat close to your own religion, but not too close? Do Islam and the Baha'i Faith qualify as cults in your view (they both acknowledge Jesus, but don't believe he was the son of God)?

I think Rev. Rafael Martinez, Spiritwatch Ministries, sums what I was trying to say maybe better than I did:
    From an orthodox Christian perspective, a cult is a group of people who follow one man or the group's spiritual teachings and practices that, when compared with orthodox Christian doctrine always contradict them, as well as exalt the group's own unique religious perspective as the only way to truly serve God. From a purely Biblical perspective, 2 Corinthians 11:4 gives us the clearest and most concise description of how cults may be discerned. False teachings, the apostle Paul warned here, will introduce three major errors to the unsuspecting in the name of Christianity. First they will preach their own determination of who Jesus Christ is, denying his Biblically revealed identity as God the Son and exchanging it with another. They'll point to "another Jesus." Secondly, cult teachers will proclaim a "gospel message" that is ultimately is a message of works-centered salvation, in sharpest contrast to the Good News of saving grace through faith in Christ (Ephesians 2:8-9). They'll preach "another gospel." Thirdly, the revealed spiritual nature of the work of the cult claims to be, but actually is not, inspired by God the Spirit. Instead, a chilling reference is made to spiritual entities who lend tremendous spiritual power to their natural human puppets to preach deceptive gospels. They'll be empowered by "another spirit."
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    23 Jul '06 22:25
    Originally posted by masscat
    telerion
    So Scientology is not a cult?
    No. It’s a kind of self-help philosophy founded by Ron Hubbard.
    Saying Scientology is a self-help philosophy is sort of like saying Shaquille O'Neal is a midget hockey player. (fine, I suck at analogies).

http://www.clambake.org

Scientology is the very epitome of a cult. Please educate yourself.
  3. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    23 Jul '06 23:31
    Originally posted by David C

Scientology is the very epitome of a cult. Please educate yourself.
    I guess it’s going to depend on YOUR definition of a cult. But wasn’t that the original question? Whodey stated that he wanted to explore the term "cult" in reference to religion and WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU. So, TO ME, a “cult” in some way or other claims to be Christian, but rejects the deity of Jesus Christ. So, TO ME, if they don’t claim to be Christian, they fall into another category such as religion or philosophy. I’m not saying to have to agree with me, I’m just answering his question as posted.

Scientology calls itself a new religion but it had its origins in dianetics which are ideas and practices regarding the relationship between mind and body that Ron Hubbard claims to have discovered. It was the secular predecessor of Scientology. Dianetics is nothing more than a corrupted form of psychiatric therapy called Aberactive Therapy, which was used to treat WWII soldiers suffering from "shell shock" or Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

Scientology didn't begin "acting" like, or operating as a "church" until 1969, when they were engaged in litigation with the FDA. Hubbard began issuing policies to members such as in Hubbard Communication Policy Letter of 12 February 1969:
    "All Orgs are now Churches; Stationary is to reflect fact that orgs are churches; All public literature must state that Scn is religious." It also states, "This may or may not be publically acceptable. This is NOT the point. It is a requisite defense."
    Hubbard Organization Executive Course,
    (1969 version) Volume 6, Page 119
    Hubbard avoided the exposure of the fraudulent medical practices of "Scientology" by becoming a so-called "church." It’s only a “religion” because Hubbard says it is.
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 03:002 edits
    i found a great example of a cult.
    http://www.yikers.com/video_jesus_camp_hates_harry_potter.html

p.s. its also kinda funny she says she likes christian heavy metal, how heavy can christian metal be when its about love? lol

Edit: feel sorry for those brainwashed kids too
    http://www.yikers.com/video_little_kid_craps_on_paris_hilton_while_in_the_bath_tub.html
    also thought id throw this in there LOL😛
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 11:10
    The word cult, as I have personally heard it used, is a derogatory term meaning a religous group whose beliefs differ from your own and you consider to be fraudulent in some way. For example you consider the key founding members to be frauds.
  6. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 11:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The word cult, as I have personally heard it used, is a derogatory term meaning a religous group whose beliefs differ from your own and you consider to be fraudulent in some way. For example you consider the key founding members to be frauds.
    This is a good general definition.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree