What the???????

What the???????

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
15 Mar 09

Originally posted by Conrau K
The Pope never admitted papal fallibility. Read his letter:

http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/1337492?eng=y

The Pope acknowledges that mistakes were made, not by himself, but those in the Vatican who were ignorant of Bishop Williamson's denial of the Holocaust and who failed to explain properly to journalists the meaning of lifting the excommunications.
Be that as it may, the news release I read said that he did say it, which is what gave rise to my surprise. Whether he is fallible or not is really a matter of supreme indifference to me, because the only person I ever heard of who went through his entire life without ever making a mistake, ended up suffering the unutterable agony of crucifixion. Not much about infallibility to recommend trying to emulate it. Peace, my friend.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 09

Originally posted by muppyman
Be that as it may, the news release I read said that he did say it, which is what gave rise to my surprise. Whether he is fallible or not is really a matter of supreme indifference to me, because the only person I ever heard of who went through his entire life without ever making a mistake, ended up suffering the unutterable agony of crucifixion. Not much about infallibility to recommend trying to emulate it. Peace, my friend.
The Pope did not. Newspapers are bound to be wrong and misreport.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
15 Mar 09

I have to marvel at this display of erudition. O sage, what more insights can we expect from you?
Oh, wow, what a fancy word: erudition. How long did it take you to look it up?

d

Break-twitching

Moves
15 Mar 09

Originally posted by muppyman
I wonder then why God looked down in the days of Noah and "regretted that He had made man" seems to border on fallibility to me just a tiny bit.
No, God made man in His image but gave man the choice to be infallible. Man was infallible, not God.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 09

Originally posted by dystoniac
Oh, wow, what a fancy word: erudition. How long did it take you to look it up?
I didn't need to. I knew that the word comes from the Latin past-participle 'eruditus' (meaning 'learned' or 'educated'.) Any other assumptions you want to make about my intelligence or would you rather describe your other bathroom habits?

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
15 Mar 09

No, God made man in His image but gave man the choice to be infallible. Man was infallible, not God.
To learn why this post is amusing look up the word "infallible".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 09

Man was infallible, not God.
😕

m

Moves
15 Mar 09

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I always thought the reason God created man in His own image was to repay the compliment.

AH

Moves
15 Mar 09

….the CHOICE to be infallible.
..…
(my emphasis)

( I assume you mean “the choice to be fallible” ): the CHOICE to be fallible? -you mean we have the choice to be infallible? -NOW you tell us 😠 -why didn’t you tell us this before? 😠
If I had known it was a CHOICE then I would have made myself infallible a long time ago!

d

Break-twitching

Moves
16 Mar 09

I didn't need to. I knew that the word comes from the Latin past-participle 'eruditus' (meaning 'learned' or 'educated'.) Any other assumptions you want to make about my intelligence or would you rather describe your other bathroom habits?
The only bathroom habit I have that involves you is flushing the toilet to send you on your merry way. Ciao.