1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 04:29
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    No it's not a matter of interpretation. You are assuming quite a bit. It is a matter of assumptions on your part.
    You are free to assume whatever you like.
    So are there any matters of interpretation when it comes to the Wedding at Cana story? Are there any matters of interpretation generally speaking when reading bible stories?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 05:08
    Do you think Jesus supplied alcohol to people who were not drinking "in moderation" at the wedding in Cana?

I have no way of knowing
    John 2: 9-10 "...the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

Do you really have "no way of knowing" what happened even though this text seems pretty clear?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 10:00
    1. Yes ..drugs are found in the bible in the Greek word pharmakeia which is found only a few places (Galatians 5:20; Revelation 9:21; 18:23) in the New Testament. Nevertheless, it refers to the use of drugs in the context of witchcraft, which is clearly condemned.
    2. Yes
    3. Not in moderation
    Those are easy, but the more difficult ones are the ones not ...[text shortened]... righteousness of Christ as our own righteousness which he purchased on the cross on our behalf.
    If drinking is ok in moderation, what about smoking in moderation?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 12:30
    1. Yes ..drugs are found in the bible in the Greek word pharmakeia which is found only a few places (Galatians 5:20; Revelation 9:21; 18:23) in the New Testament. Nevertheless, it refers to the use of drugs in the context of witchcraft, which is clearly condemned.
    2. Yes
    3. Not in moderation
    Those are easy, but the more difficult ones are the ones not ...[text shortened]... righteousness of Christ as our own righteousness which he purchased on the cross on our behalf.
    Does the Bible say this?

it is impossible to be sin free ?

The Bible says that Christ died so that people can be free
    - of the inherited sin of Adam and
    - of their own sin, and
    - of the burdensome law of Moses

But the warnings of continuing with sin is serious.

So Im wondering where in the Bible there is any indication that it is impossible to be sin free, particularly after the Christian accepts Christ in his life.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 13:29
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If drinking is ok in moderation, what about smoking in moderation?
    Isn't moderate smoking still harmful to the body of which we are to be good stewards of?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 13:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    John 2: 9-10 "...the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, [b]"Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have sav ...[text shortened]...
    Do you really have "no way of knowing" what happened even though this text seems pretty clear?
    You make a good case, so back to your original question, Jesus supplied, but it is still up to an individual how he behaves.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 13:341 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Does the Bible say this?

it is impossible to be sin free ?

The Bible says that Christ died so that people can be free
    - of the inherited sin of Adam and
    - of their own sin, and
    - of the burdensome law of Moses

But the warnings of continuing with sin is serious.

So Im wondering where in the Bible there is any indication that it is impossible to be sin free, particularly after the Christian accepts Christ in his life.
    1 John 1:8-10

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
    NKJV
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 13:42
    Isn't moderate smoking still harmful to the body of which we are to be good stewards of?
    To me that is opening a can of worms. Gluttony, eating GM foods, eating KFC, drinking Coca Cola and similar soft drinks are all harmful to the body.
  9. Standard membertrakoz
    Electrical Engineer
    Amritapuri
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 13:43
    Is taking drugs sinful?

Is smoking sinful?

Is drinking alcohol sinful?
    Proceed easily with Divine Wisdom anchored.
    http://www.dlshq.org/download/easysteps.pdf
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 14:03
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    To me that is opening a can of worms. Gluttony, eating GM foods, eating KFC, drinking Coca Cola and similar soft drinks are all harmful to the body.
    Like I said, impossible.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 14:21
    I don't know. I guess it depends on what "moderate" means. Let's assume for the sake of this topic that we are talking about an ocasional cigarette, only on holiday for example?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 14:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    John 2: 9-10 "...the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, [b]"Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have sav ...[text shortened]...
    I'm not sure it is that clear actually. The description of the guest having too much was not specifically about that dinner, it was talking about the usual general tactic of the host bringing out cheap wine once the guests had had too much and therefore wouldn't notice. This does not necessarily mean that at this dinner the guests were already inebriated.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 15:19
    Like I said, impossible.
    Nonsense .. those are not sins. [except for gluttony]
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 18:29
    I don't know. I guess it depends on what "moderate" means. Let's assume for the sake of this topic that we are talking about an ocasional cigarette, only on holiday for example?
    Probably not... I think it depends on the individual as well. Paul said all things were lawful to him but not all things were expedient
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 20:292 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester (OP)
    Is taking drugs sinful?

Is smoking sinful

Is drinking alcohol sinful?
    Originally posted by divegeester (OP)
    What things are sinful?
    "Is taking drugs sinful?

Is smoking sinful

Is drinking alcohol sinful?"

Any and all covert or overt sins which violate God's Divine Standards of Righteousness as revealed in the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Koine Greek Languages in which the Word of God was written. Your premise of "drugs" and "smoking" and "drinking alcohol" represents an unfortunate simplistic taboo [do's and don'ts] orientation. Please contact your own pastor/teacher for clarification for your own sake and the sake of your family.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree