1. Illinois
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 00:07
    Originally posted by neil67d
    Recently joined this site.

Why do people want to discuss religion on a chess website?

Do the participants think anyone is going to be swayed by the arguments?

Haven't yet seen any posts along the lines of "..never seen it that way before... I've actually been totally wrong...glad you pointed that out"

Why do people discuss religion anywhere?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 01:021 edit
    Robbie,
    I don't know how to quote you in my post, so will have to do this slowly.
    Your first paragraph deciphered says,
    'what we enjoy in chess is the triumph of intellect and genius over lack of imagination'
    That seems fair enough.
    'The triumph of imagination over materialism', where does that come from? Do you know how to formulate a logical argument ...[text shortened]... just ain't on.

I suggest you are deliberately using mystification to confuse the issue.
    well my dear friend, if you know anything about it, you will note that in former times persons were merely concerned with what was material, thus in disciplines like art, just by way of example, painting lets say, what you get is the imitation of nature, thus if you visit the national gallery you will see great landscapes, portraits, still lifes etc etc, nothing but the imitation of nature was seen as the pinnacle of endeavour, then, the artist gets the idea, through engaging his intellect and imagination, that he can express something more, his thoughts, his dreams, his desires , thus through his mind he has, transcended the material and engages in expression of the self and then even beyond that, to thoughts and abstraction.

so you see, its neither illogical nor unsubstantiated as you have, well rather hurriedly tried to assert.

i suggest you engage your imagination before making moves on the chess board.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 01:19

Haven't yet seen any posts along the lines of "..never seen it that way before... I've actually been totally wrong...glad you pointed that out"
    So I can read posts like yours. 😉
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 03:10

What is the poin to these forums? Shouldn't you be asking what the purpose of your life is?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 06:23
    Robbie,
    I don't know how to quote you in my post, so will have to do this slowly.
    Your first paragraph deciphered says,
    'what we enjoy in chess is the triumph of intellect and genius over lack of imagination'
    That seems fair enough.
    'The triumph of imagination over materialism', where does that come from? Do you know how to formulate a logical argument ...[text shortened]... just ain't on.

I suggest you are deliberately using mystification to confuse the issue.
    Here's how it's done.

Reply and quote.
    Using your mouse, highlight the portion of the offending poster's post that you want to really grind into the earth.
    Right click.
    Click 'copy.'
    Position your mouse in your Post box, right click and hit 'paste.'
    Underneath this pasted portion, lambaste the other fellow, taking extra caution to ensure you've included insults directed at his mother.
    If you want to make something emphatic, put a bracketed b in the front of that portion, with a bracketed /b at the end of the same.
    If you want to make something look foreign, i.e., sexy, bracket an i at the beginning of the portion, with a bracketed /i at the end of the same.

Hope this helps.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 11:36
    Is it just me, or is this the best thread in this forum for quite a while?
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 14:16
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Here's how it's done.

Reply and quote.
    Using your mouse, highlight the portion of the offending poster's post that you want to really grind into the earth.
    Right click.
    Click 'copy.'
    Position your mouse in your Post box, right click and hit 'paste.'
    Underneath this pasted portion, lambaste the other fellow, taking extra caution to ensure you've inc ...[text shortened]... eginning of the portion, with a bracketed /i at the end of the same.

Hope this helps.
    "...If you want to make something emphatic, put a bracketed b in the front of that portion, with a bracketed /b at the end of the same.
    If you want to make something look foreign, i.e., sexy, bracket an i at the beginning of the portion, with a bracketed /i at the end of the same."

pfft...you failed to mention the type of brackets. (square brackets like these: "[ ]" )
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 16:14
    Originally posted by Agerg
    "...If you want to make something emphatic, put a bracketed b in the front of that portion, with a bracketed /b at the end of the same.
    If you want to make something look foreign, i.e., sexy, bracket an i at the beginning of the portion, with a bracketed /i at the end of the same."

pfft...you failed to mention the type of brackets. (square brackets like these: "[ ]" )[/b]

pfft...you failed to mention the type of brackets. (square brackets like these: "[ ]" )[/b]

Well, of course I did! I was hoping he would try to use parentheses instead of brackets so that we could all make fun of the new guy. Geez-o-pete: no wonder your mother told you to take candy from strangers.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 21:163 edits
    [quote][b]"...If you want to make something emphatic, put a bracketed b in the front of that portion, with a bracketed /b at the end of the same.

pfft...you failed to mention the type of brackets. (squar n of the new guy. Geez-o-pete: no wonder your mother told you to take candy from strangers.[/b]
    Well, of course I did! I was hoping he would try to use parentheses instead of brackets so that we could all make fun of the new guy. Geez-o-pete: no wonder your mother told you to take candy from strangers.

Just to further your education here Freaky, "brackets", for most places that are not the USA (in particular, Britain which contains Scotland (check Neils' profile)), is, in this context, a catch-all term for paired punctuation marks.. the four main types being "{ }", "( )", "[ ]", "< >"..."parenthesis" are a specific type of brackets

🙂
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 22:23
    My question was why debate spirituality on a chess website.

In keeping with that, and failing to get an answer, I will stop..........
    Why should we be limited to talking about chess on this site?
    I came here to play chess, that's true. But in coming here I found a community o people who were interested enough in other aspects of their lives to want to discuss them. What's the problem?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 22:49
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]Well, of course I did! I was hoping he would try to use parentheses instead of brackets so that we could all make fun of the new guy. Geez-o-pete: no wonder your mother told you to take candy from strangers.

Just to further your education here Freaky, "brackets", for most places that are not the USA (in particular, Britain which contains Scotland ( ...[text shortened]... ng "{ }", "( )", "[ ]", "< >"..."parenthesis" are a specific type of brackets

🙂[/b]
    Sweet. Now when I go to visit friends there, I'll be able to intelligently speak with them on the topic. Since the visit is still a ways off, I'll be spending the ensuing time trying to figure out the best way to work it into a conversation...
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 22:51
    Sweet. Now when I go to visit friends there, I'll be able to intelligently speak with them on the topic. Since the visit is still a ways off, I'll be spending the ensuing time trying to figure out the best way to work it into a conversation...
    are you coming to Scotland? gulp (stabs himself all over with a blunt fork)
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 22:542 edits
    "Sweet. Now when I go to visit friends there, I'll be able to intelligently speak with them on the topic. Since the visit is still a ways off, I'll be spending the ensuing time trying to figure out the best way to work it into a conversation..."

You might be getting ahead of yourself there mate
    🙂
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 23:08
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Same reason why a dog licks its balls.

Because it can. 😀

And Yes. The Jehovah Witnesses are a powerful force on this forum.
    They have been converting hundreds of chess players to their particular faith.
    🙂 funny maybe not very Christian but very funny

Manny
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 23:14
    I wonder also the point of this forum. The JW's are trying to ram their Watchtower down everyones throats. Most of the time it really is just a bunch of bickering no doubt. I'm finding that the atheist or non-religious types sometimes are more cogent in their answers and thoughts. I admit I'm of the (religious/theist) Christians on here but maybe if I spent less time in this freaking forum and focused on chess I might get a little better at it. It's like banging your head against a brick wall at times.

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree