1. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 14:18
    If the world ends soon it will be a clear violation of the laws of physics. So, if God does something that violates the laws of physics can we still say that it is "happening"? Is something not-of-this-universe actually real? If is not an event in the universe it cannot be recorded in the universe.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 20:16
    Originally posted by vistesd
    As a post-dimensional, non-millenarian Zennist, I think you read the Bible too much like Lord of the Rings, only fer real! 😉

But I love ya anyway, ‘cause in the end, you’re always a gentleman (okay, a bit of a scholar, too...). And perhaps more non-judgmental than I am (okay—probably...).
    I think you read the Bible too much like Lord of the Rings, only fer real! 😉
    I am a desperate man in search of answers. Those I have found within the doctrine have offered succor not found anywhere else. So either my investigative abilities are so slipshod as to allow me to miss the obvious, or my self-delusion is so sublime as to offer the appearance of seamlessness... either way, I am as close to the truth as my mind will currently allow.

But I love ya anyway...
    And I salute you, as well.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 20:17
    Originally posted by treetalk
    So, how do you know what is meant metaphorically and what is meant literally in the bible?
    Text and context are the best and most obvious indications.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 20:21
    Originally posted by rwingett
    They've been saying Christ's return is imminent since right after he died. That seems to be a rather permanent state of imminence. I suppose in another 2,000 years his return will be just as imminent.
    That is the meaning of the word 'imminent.' However, upon departure, He didn't give a generic 'you better be ready, cuz I might just pop back in any time' kind of a deadline. This thing we call human history is a timed event, possessing a beginning and an end.

If the plan for the Second Advent isn't for another million years, that simply means it (that span of time) is required for everything to be complete. I'm in no rush for this to be over, if it means that more people become sons of God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree