1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    02 May '09 11:301 edit
    In Arabic myth, Bahamut is a giant fish, described as so immense that a human cannot bear its sight...

Upon seeing Bahamut, Isa (Jesus) passes into unconsciousness:

At this sight Isa fell down aswoon, and when he came to himself, Allah spake to him by inspiration, saying, 'O Isa, hast thou seen the fish and comprehended its length and its breadth?' He replied, 'By Thy honour and glory, O Lord, I saw no fish; but there passed me by a great bull, whose length was three days' journey, and I know not what manner of thing this bull is.' Quoth Allah, 'O Isa, this that thou sawest and which was three days in passing by thee, was but the head of the fish; and know that every day I create forty fishes like unto this.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahamut

So where are all these giant fish?
  2. Break-twitching
    Moves
    04 May '09 04:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    In Arabic myth, Bahamut is a giant fish, described as so immense that a human cannot bear its sight...

At this sight Isa fell down aswoon, and when he came to himself, Allah spake to him by inspiration, saying, 'O Isa, hast thou seen the fish and comprehended its length and its bre ...[text shortened]... s.'

The only Biblical large fish that I know of is the whale that swallowed Jonah; however, as you're referencing the Koran, I don't know except to speculate that maybe Muhammad got 'holt of some mighty-fine "ganja" or peyote buttons...or maybe he dreamed it and included it in his writing of the Koran.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 May '09 06:03
    '...and know that every day I create forty fishes like unto this.'

We can get a clue from the fact that God creates these fish at full size - ie they are not natural fish that develop from eggs. So they are some sort of supernatural fish, possibly invisible or maybe even in another dimension.
    The other clue is that 'a human cannot bear its sight...'. Even a fish that took 3 days to go past me would not make me faint, so there must have been something supernatural about it.

The obvious alternative is that he fainted first and the whole voice of God and giant fish thing was a dream.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 May '09 21:14

At this sight Isa fell down aswoon, and when he came to himself, Allah spake to him by inspiration, saying, 'O Isa, hast thou seen the fish and comprehended its length and its bre ...[text shortened]... s.'

Never mind about the fish, what about the bull? 😲
  5. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 May '09 12:15
    What about the fact that this fishy story is just a way to illustrate the vast nature of the universe and the fundamental mystery of its being? It is a kernel of truth wrapped in a myth. Is it your point that the uneducated and the unthinking continue to see only the surface ripples of these kind of "tails" and missing the underlying truth? They reject science because it does not scour the oceans for this creature and only offers old and irrefutable bones. Bahamut is alive with meaning and we are only the insignificant inhabitants of his coursing blood.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    08 May '09 17:31
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    What about the fact that this fishy story is just a way to illustrate the vast nature of the universe and the fundamental mystery of its being? It is a kernel of truth wrapped in a myth. Is it your point that the uneducated and the unthinking continue to see only the surface ripples of these kind of "tails" and missing the underlying truth? They rejec ...[text shortened]... mut is alive with meaning and we are only the insignificant inhabitants of his coursing blood.
    Yes, and Jesus is a symbol for the sacrifices we all have to make in order to appease our conscience (God).

Or maybe there really are big fish out there.
  7. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 May '09 02:39
    Get your explanation here: http://www.hazmatmodine.com/home.html
  8. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    25 May '09 06:211 edit
    nevermind the the bull... i'm worried about the size of that dung pile. i guess i'm weird that way.

i mean really... the methane from just one of those steaming dung piles alone would have been enough to tear a gash in the ozone layer.

one thing for sure, the bull existed because that book says it. so now I'm going to quit worrying about this "human-caused" global warming... anyone who says it's human caused (in light of these new facts) is feeding you a bunch of "bs".
  9. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    25 May '09 06:41
    Originally posted by sumydid
    nevermind the the bull... i'm worried about the size of that dung pile. i guess i'm weird that way.

i mean really... the methane from just one of those steaming dung piles alone would have been enough to tear a gash in the ozone layer.

one thing for sure, the bull existed because that book says it. so now I'm going to quit worrying about this "human- ...[text shortened]... who says it's human caused (in light of these new facts) is feeding you a bunch of "bs".
    That just means you're swapping the dung for your head. Use it or lose it.
  10. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    25 May '09 07:56

Perhaps Bahamut the "fish" is a space-dwelling life form bigger than earth itself. Considering that it
    took the head a full three days to pass we can conclude that it's too big to survive in the terran oceans.
    Add to that the strange fact that it has a bull's head and that we've yet to see any such monstrous
    form of life in the aquatic domain, I can only draw the conclusion that it's huge and lives in outer
    space. A human can't bear its sight, simply because it's out there where we can't see it. Jesus could
    walk on water, so it stands to reason that he could do other things as well. Supernatural vision is not
    such a big deal for a man whom can arise from the dead and wear facial hair with dignity intact.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '09 02:03
    Originally posted by Jigtie
    Perhaps Bahamut the "fish" is a space-dwelling life form bigger than earth itself. Considering that it
    took the head a full three days to pass we can conclude that it's too big to survive in the terran oceans.
    Add to that the strange fact that it has a bull's head and that we've yet to see any such monstrous
    form of life in the aquatic domain, I can onl ...[text shortened]... g deal for a man whom can arise from the dead and wear facial hair with dignity intact.
    these are exactly the type of questions that should be going around these forums- and answers like jigties and terrierjacks. All questions that that challenge our notions of reality give our brains the fuel to grow, the rest are just rhetoric that end up going in cicles and degenerating into mud-slinging

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree