Where are the New Age people ....

Where are the New Age people ....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Apr 05
1 edit

There must be lots of them on the site ...... but where are they, the searchers who want to explore and experience the "divine", the Bayesian god-searchers, the believers who want to "feel" god, the Wiccans, the people who think the divine can only be found inside themselves .......... or those who believe the Universal Force is in fact god.

Where are you ? Please introduce yourselves to the RHP community.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
25 Apr 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
There must be lots of them on the site ...... but where are they, the searchers who want to explore and experience the "divine", the Baysian god-searchers, the believers who want to "feel" god, the Wiccans, the people who think the divine can only be found inside themselves .......... or those who believe the Universal Force is in fact god.

What's a Bayesian god-searcher? I don't know if anyone considers a Bayesian interpretation of probability to be divine 😛.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Apr 05

Originally posted by royalchicken
What's a Bayesian god-searcher? I don't know if anyone considers a Bayesian interpretation of probability to be divine 😛.

Telerion will enlighten us in that regard I'm sure. Please check out his Forum avatar box.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
25 Apr 05
1 edit

Telerion will enlighten us in that regard I'm sure. Please check out his Forum avatar box.
Ah. Well, Telerion is some kind of stats/economics expert, and one posted a survey/puzzle which lent itself well to analysis by Bayesian probability IIRC, and he's also in the (secular) WP, so I assume he's taking the piss. Then again, there could be a Bayesian Godsearching movement I'm unaware of.

Telly?

EDIT Actually, you're the man to ask: is Telerion in the Pack? Who else is?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
25 Apr 05

Originally posted by royalchicken
Then again, there could be a Bayesian Godsearching movement I'm unaware of.
Bayes would turn in his grave, given that this was true.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
25 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Bayes would turn in his grave, given that this was true.
Well, he was a Reverend, and I don't think he would necessarily endorse interpreting probabilities as subjective levels of belief just because the theorem bearing his name is used in conjunction with this idea; 'Bayesian probability' is something of a misnomer. Therefore, I don't know why he'd necessarily object to such a hypothetical movement.

EDIT Oh fvck! That was a joke! Nicely done.

R
Track drifter ®

Hoopnholler, MN

Moves
25 Apr 05

There must be lots of them on the site ...... but where are they, the searchers who want to explore and experience the "divine", the Bayesian god-searchers, the believers who want to "feel" god, the Wiccans, the people who think the divine can only be found inside themselves .......... or those who believe the Universal Force is in fact god.

Yo!

Don't you mean Old age?

New agers chase after triangles and rocks and whatever is hip an happenin, not that there is anything wrong with that.

My Goddess nursed your God.

RTh

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
25 Apr 05

You don't want to "feel" God? And what is the Universal Force?

... --- ...

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Apr 05
4 edits

Originally posted by thesonofsaul
You don't want to "feel" God? And what is the Universal Force?

... --- ...
I asked you in some other thread, I forgot which one, what kind of theist you are, because you stated earlier you are a "Non-Christian" theist. What are you ?

Would you consider yourself to be a New Ager, SoS ?

EDIT: Your questions should best be answered by New Agers. I would make a mess of it, I'm sure.

EDIT II: I certainly don't want to "feel" God. I don't know what that is and I don't know what I should be expecting to "feel".

M

Moves
25 Apr 05

Wicca, for one thing, while paying homage to the Horned God (the Celtic Cernunnos), is largely focussed on the Goddess as its central basis of devotion, and as such is largely a feminine tradition. Chess playing is largely a masculine tradition. I'd venture that close to 95% of RHP chessplayers are male. In Wicca, probably 80 to 90% of participants are female. So the odds of finding a Wiccan chessplayer are relatively remote, although I'm sure they exist.

Even the New Age movement, though no longer as clearly defined as it was during its Shirley MacClaine-inspired hey days of the 1980s, has always been predominantly female, 70 to 80%, I'd estimate. Male New Agers certainly exist but their focus is more concerned with the mystical/spiritual, and less with the intensely rational/competitive element that is the hallmark of a game like chess.

Older, traditional, masculine-based religions like Christianity and philosophical approaches such as athiesm would seem to go hand in hand with older, traditional, conceptual/competitive games like chess, and hence the overwhelming concern this chess community has with Christianity and/or atheism in its discussion forums.

By the way, concerning alternative spiritualites and chess, one marked exception to all that was Aleister Crowley, the notorious Hermetic magus and scholar of Eastern spirituality, who was also a strong chessplayer, about 2000 level.

x

NY

Moves
28 Apr 05

Originally posted by Metamorphosis
Wicca, for one thing, while paying homage to the Horned God (the Celtic Cernunnos), is largely focussed on the Goddess as its central basis of devotion, and as such is largely a feminine tradition. Chess playing is largely a masculine tradition. I'd venture that close to 95% of RHP chessplayers are male. In Wicca, probably 80 to 90% of participants ar ...[text shortened]... magus and scholar of Eastern spirituality, who was also a strong chessplayer, about 2000 level.
YAY UNBAN! so im here(wiccan) and Metamorphosis... your forgetting that there are various "paths" of Wicca... mine being Eclectic i do worship primarily the Tripple Goddess... but never forgetting the balllancing effects of The Horned God... and truthfully... my old Coven was 80% male... and yeah.. newage makes us sound like a buncha pyramid meditating crystal freaks... not that im not..lol... but theres so much more... so... blah.... all i gotta say..

p.s. did i mention YAY UNBAN... (I H8 STANG)

sr

Moves
29 Apr 05

hey, sorry it took me so long to get here but I was casting some spells and I just finished.. whats up?

N
The eyes of truth

elsewhere

Moves
30 Apr 05

Originally posted by Metamorphosis
Wicca, for one thing, while paying homage to the Horned God (the Celtic Cernunnos), is largely focussed on the Goddess as its central basis of devotion, and as such is largely a feminine tradition. Chess playing is largely a masculine tradition. I'd venture that close to 95% of RHP chessplayers are male. In Wicca, probably 80 to 90% of participants ar ...[text shortened]... magus and scholar of Eastern spirituality, who was also a strong chessplayer, about 2000 level.
'I can play at tafl,
Nine skills I know,
Rarely forget I the runes,
I know of books and smithing,
I know how to slide on skis,
Shoot and row, well enough;
Each of two arts I know,
Harp-playing and speaking poetry.'
--- Earl Rognvaldr Kali (Gordon 155, translated by Christie Ward )

http://www.heorot.dk/tafl/

A little bit of history from my ancestral people. A neat board game. Many ancient religions were not so male dominated. I would say this has some bearing on why they are being reborn now. In an age of enlightment as we seek to better ourselves and become true equals with each other.

Nyxie
the Valkyrja

R
Track drifter ®

Hoopnholler, MN

Moves
30 Apr 05

Originally posted by Nyxie
'I can play at tafl,
Nine skills I know,
Rarely forget I the runes,
I know of books and smithing,
I know how to slide on skis,
Shoot and row, well enough;
Each of two arts I know,
Harp-playing and speaking poetry.'
--- Earl Rognvaldr Kali (Gordon 155, translated by Christie Ward )

http://www.heorot.dk/tafl/

A little bit of history from my an ...[text shortened]... t as we seek to better ourselves and become true equals with each other.

Nyxie
the Valkyrja
Before the newer religions women were responsible for the spiritual health of the people. They played a more dominant role.

RTh

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
30 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Ringtailhunter
Before the newer religions women were responsible for the spiritual health of the people. They played a more dominant role.

RTh
That was mostly due to being hunter-gatherers where the men were off hunting and not strutting their macho selves around the farm, saying things like "MUSH YOU %@#% OX ,WE gotta get the plowing done" . and the women absolutely refused to walk behind automatic fertilizing plows.