1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 22:412 edits
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/newage.htm

The New Age is definitely a heterogeneous movement of individuals; most graft some new age beliefs onto their regular religious affiliation. Recent surveys of US adults indicate that many Americans hold at least some new age beliefs:

8% believe in astrology as a method of foretelling the future
    7% believe that crystals are a source of healing or energizing power
    9% believe that Tarot Cards are a reliable base for life decisions
    about 1 in 4 believe in a non-traditional concept of the nature of God which are often associated with New Age thinking: 11% believe that God is "a state of higher consciousness that a person may reach"
    8% define God as "the total realization of personal, human potential"
    3% believe that each person is God.

2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 22:42

New Age beliefs:

A number of fundamental beliefs are held by many New Age followers; individuals are encouraged to "shop" for the beliefs and practices that they feel most comfortable with:

Monism: All that exists is derived from a single source of divine energy.
    Pantheism: All that exists is God; God is all that exists. This leads naturally to the concept of the divinity of the individual, that we are all Gods. They do not seek God as revealed in a sacred text or as exists in a remote heaven; they seek God within the self and throughout the entire universe.
    Panentheism: God is all that exists. God is at once the entire universe, and transcends the universe as well.
    Reincarnation: After death, we are reborn and live another life as a human. This cycle repeats itself many times. This belief is similar to the concept of transmigration of the soul in Hinduism.
    Karma: The good and bad deeds that we do adds and subtracts from our accumulated record, our karma. At the end of our life, we are rewarded or punished according to our karma by being reincarnated into either a painful or good new life. This belief is linked to that of reincarnation and is also derived from Hinduism
    An Aura is believed to be an energy field radiated by the body. Invisible to most people, it can be detected by some as a shimmering, multi-colored field surrounding the body. Those skilled in detecting and interpreting auras can diagnose an individual's state of mind, and their spiritual and physical health.
    Personal Transformation A profoundly intense mystical experience will lead to the acceptance and use of New Age beliefs and practices. Guided imagery, hypnosis, meditation, and (sometimes) the use of hallucinogenic drugs are useful to bring about and enhance this transformation. Believers hope to develop new potentials within themselves: the ability to heal oneself and others, psychic powers, a new understanding of the workings of the universe, etc. Later, when sufficient numbers of people have achieved these powers, a major spiritual, physical, psychological and cultural planet-wide transformation is expected.
    Ecological Responsibility: A belief in the importance of uniting to preserve the health of the earth, which is often looked upon as Gaia, (Mother Earth) a living entity.
    Universal Religion: Since all is God, then only one reality exists, and all religions are simply different paths to that ultimate reality. The universal religion can be visualized as a mountain, with many sadhanas (spiritual paths) to the summit. Some are hard; others easy. There is no one correct path. All paths eventually reach the top. They anticipate that a new universal religion which contains elements of all current faiths will evolve and become generally accepted worldwide.
    New World Order As the Age of Aquarius unfolds, a New Age will develop. This will be a utopia in which there is world government, and end to wars, disease, hunger, pollution, and poverty. Gender, racial, religious and other forms of discrimination will cease. People's allegiance to their tribe or nation will be replaced by a concern for the entire world and its people.

3. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 23:40
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    EDIT II: I certainly don't want to "feel" God. I don't know what that is and I don't know what I should be expecting to "feel".

You have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, am I correct?

Doesn't that allow you to sense, or "feel" God's presence?
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 May '05 00:04
    Originally posted by eagles54
    You have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, am I correct?

Doesn't that allow you to sense, or "feel" God's presence?
    "You have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, am I correct?"

Yes.

"Doesn't that allow you to sense, or "feel" God's presence ? "

If you tell me what I should feel then I can answer the question.

To feel a "presence" doesn't necessarily refer to God. It may well be somebody who is watching you from a distance.
  5. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 May '05 00:35
    If you tell me what I should feel then I can answer the question.

To feel a "presence" doesn't necessarily refer to God. It may well be somebody who is watching you from a distance.
    As we are individuals with differing perceptions, there is no possibility that I can tell you what to feel. That would lie in your own experience or lack thereof, but it is somewhat difficult for me to understand how you could have that relationship yet not feel close to God.

I do agree about feeling a presence not necessarily being that of God. It must be very tempting to many to claim to feel God's presence when they may well be misinterpreting those feelings. It's certainly no knock on you to say that has not been an experience you've had.

I'm curious. Whom is the "somebody" watching in the distance you refer to?
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 May '05 00:441 edit
    As we are individuals with differing perceptions, there is no possibility that I can tell you what to feel. That would lie in your own experience or lack thereof, but it is somewhat difficult for me to understand how you could have that re ...[text shortened]... s. Whom is the "somebody" watching in the distance you refer to?
    Eagles54:

"Whom is the "somebody" watching in the distance you refer to?"

.... lol ...... It must be Mr Spic & Span looking over my shoulder, I'm sure 😀
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 May '05 00:485 edits
    As we are individuals with differing perceptions, there is no possibility that I can tell you what to feel. That would lie in your own experience or lack thereof, but it is somewhat difficult for me to understand how you could have that re ...[text shortened]... s. Whom is the "somebody" watching in the distance you refer to?
    What my major point is in regard to this issue is that the relationship with God rests on His Word, that you have to hear. Hearing the Word, and hearing and studying the correct interpretation of it, thát should be the experience upon which your relationship with God is based.

............. and I want to add, just to be sure, that His word can be read in the Scriptures. The correct interpretations are provided by the Magisterium of the Roman-Catholic Church. You do not need supernatural experiences to hear, read or study it.
  8. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 May '05 01:05
    ............. and I want to add, just to be sure, that His word can be read in the Scriptures. The correct interpretations are provided by the Magisterium of the Roman-Catholic Church. You do not need supernatural experiences to hear, read or study it.
    I for one don't assume that a supernatural experience is necessary to know God experientially. I think so-called ordinary experience suffices quite well.

What greater miracle is there than breathing in and breathing out?
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 May '05 01:11
    I for one don't assume that a supernatural experience is necessary to know God experientially. I think so-called ordinary experience suffices quite well.

What greater miracle is there than breathing in and breathing out?

Exactly, the miracles are there to see and experience for everybody.
  10. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    01 May '05 12:561 edit
    What my major point is in regard to this issue is that the relationship with God rests on His Word, that you have to hear. Hearing the Word, and hearing and studying the correct interpretation of it, thát should be the experience upon whic ...[text shortened]... u do not need supernatural experiences to hear, read or study it.
    I don't need anyone to “interpret” anything for me when it is between me and god.

How can anyone leave such an important thing in the hands of others that may have “other” intentions in mind besides “your” soul. Only a fool, that is who.

RTh

[edit]
    It is more appealing to me to sit in the woods quietly listening to god speaking through nature, than sit down and read scripture.
  11. NY
    Moves
    03 May '05 02:50
    HERE HERE!
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    03 May '05 17:12

Exactly, the miracles are there to see and experience for everybody.
    so are the natural diasters, the wars, the famines, the epidemics and the pestilences.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    03 May '05 22:14
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    so are the natural diasters, the wars, the famines, the epidemics and the pestilences.

..... and so are you, froggy .... you little devil you 😀
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 May '05 19:08
    *bump*

There must be wagonloads of New Agers here on RHP ...... I guess they haven't discovered their true identity yet .......
  15. Not Kansas
    Moves
    16 May '05 19:13
    I wonder if the Yellow (robed) Hordes are at the Gates of Rome yet?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree