1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 01:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm pretty certain the JWs in this forum will feel too uncomfortable to get properly involved in this thread.
    I can almost audibly hear their conflict from the other side of the world - they want to stick it to you, but I fear that they fear it may expose more of their double standards.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 07:19
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Great topic, in that, so far, 88% of the posts seem to be anti-religionists claiming that the focus of religion is nothing more than "feelgoodism".

I thought this kind of argument was called "Reductio ad absurdum".
    I said in the OP, 'Am curious what others think about this. Is comfort at the core of religion, is that the primary reason people turn to God? And in what manner does God provide this comfort?'

Christians are included in the 'what others think' and nothing is preventing you from contributing your own thoughts (as opposed to anti-atheist rhetoric).
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 07:232 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I can almost audibly hear their conflict from the other side of the world - they want to stick it to you, but I fear that they fear it may expose more of their double standards.
    Oh dear, perhaps what you are hearing is simply a reflection of your own cognitive dissonance. Divegeester has once again simply shown that his sole contribution to the subject was nothing but a cheap pot-shot attempting to vilify others. Its ultimately ironic given the nature of his text, don't you think? Interesting that you should resonate with such a stance, kind of like the way the two hollow and wooden drums on a tabla resonate with each other. If I was you I would forget about the alleged double standards of other people and concentrate on my own idiosyncrasies.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 07:25
    A vegetarian? I hadn't come across or suspected that you were one (how wrong I was apparently).
    Can I ask sir: What are you're reasons for becoming vegetarian? Health, empathy for the animals, or a combination of these ( possibly some others)?

genuinely interested 🙂
    Made a new best friend when I started secondary school who was a vegetarian. Up until that point I hadn't really considered where the food on my plate came from. (Well, had considered it, but not deeply). I guess you could say I 'copied' my friend's life choice.

The irony, he returned to eating meat a few months later and here I am 30 years on shopping for tofu. 🙂
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 07:352 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Made a new best friend when I started secondary school who was a vegetarian. Up until that point I hadn't really considered where the food on my plate came from. (Well, had considered it, but not deeply). I guess you could say I 'copied' my friend's life choice.

The irony, he returned to eating meat a few months later and here I am 30 years on shopping for tofu. 🙂
    I became a veggie in the early nineties after buying a book from a Harikrishna called The higher taste. At present I am about 95% Vegan and feel physically sick even at the thought of eating meat.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 07:54
    It may be a big factor, but it's just talk and swagger about these issues for the most part.
    I don't understand. Can you clarify?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 13:331 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you are referring to my contribution, for instance, why not discuss it properly and actually make an argument as to why you think it was an "anti-religionist" comment rather than a non-religionist one.
    Most of your "contributions" in this forum are "anti-religionist". You are clearly "against" religion. IF you sit there and claim that you're not, then why do you let your emotions carry you so far away from your claim that your statements quite clearly become "against" religion, and anyone can see that, over time, your "contributions" in this forum are especially "anti-Christian" and especially offensive to most Christians. Clearly, your claim isn't true.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 13:46
    Most of your "contributions" in this forum are "anti-religionist". You are clearly "against" religion. IF you sit there and claim that you're not, then why do you let your emotions carry you so far away from your claim that your statements quite clearly become "against" religion, and anyone can see that, over time, your "contributions" in this forum are e ...[text shortened]... y "anti-Christian" and especially offensive to most Christians. Clearly, your claim isn't true.
    On the contrary, I think if people derive solace (comfort) and a sense of purpose from their religion, then I say good for them. I am not religious, obviously, but I don't think I can be described as "anti" religion.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 13:47
    You are clearly "against" religion.
    I think you may be getting me mixed up with sonhouse.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 14:16
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I became a veggie in the early nineties after buying a book from a Harikrishna called The higher taste. At present I am about 95% Vegan and feel physically sick even at the thought of eating meat.
    Your CV is a liability robbie:

- fundamentalist religious cultist
    - vegan (almost)
    - plasterer (almost)
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Oct '16 15:011 edit
    The comfort of man when he comes to Christ is a reflection of God's comfort. The two comforts echo one another.

You are happy BECAUSE God is happy, when you are reconciled to the Father.
    When God is comforted within yourself, you deeply reflect that peace too.

God is a living Person.
    He is an unusual living Person, but a living Person nonetheless.

When you call "Lord Jesus, Thank You for Your cleansing away of every one of my sins in Your precious blood. Lord Jesus I love You. I receive Your forgiveness."

The unspeakable comfort and peace a woman or man has within is a reflection of the joy God has that His dear child has been reconciled to Him. This is a MUTUAL feasting and rejoicing.

I borrow a passage from Revelation to get you convinced of this:

" Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, then I will come in to him and dine [or feast] with him and he with Me." (Revelation 3:20)

See ? Christ comes in for a mutual celebration, a mutual feasting. You feast with Him. And He feasts with you. You have comfort and enjoyment within. And Jesus Christ and God have comfort and celebration too.

My friends. This word can be absolutely taken to the bank.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '16 02:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Divegeester has once again simply shown that his sole contribution to the subject was nothing but a cheap pot-shot attempting to vilify others.
    You probably need to look up the meaning of the word "vilify" after reading my post again.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Oct '16 04:38
    Some of the most comforting Christian songs written in these last 20 years:

What Made You Die For Me ? a song by the late Brother Howard Hagashi.

YouTube
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Oct '16 12:10
    We have to learn to take God at His word, place it before Him in faith.

Jesus said He would send another Comforter to those who receive Him. So the comfort is to come from this Comforter. We should stand upon that promise and enjoy the comforter the Comforter brings.

SKIP THE AD. Listen to the hymn The Comforter Has Come !

YouTube&list=RDMU98khZAz2g#t=0
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Oct '16 12:23
    Wasn't that JOYFUL ?!

The Comforter HAS COME !!

YouTube&list=RDMU98khZAz2g#t=0

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree