Discuss
    Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?
  3. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 08:26
    Dunno, but according to:

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/saints/buddha.htm#end

Buddha surely died. And I see no mention of his resurrection. SO luckily, he was just like every other man in the history of the world, in regards to being mortal.
  4. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 09:292 edits
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Dunno, but according to:

Buddha surely died. And I see no mention of his resurrection. SO luckily, he was just like every other man in the history of the world, in regards to being mortal.
    That is the story of the Buddha's physical body. But according to Mahayana Buddhist doctrine, he had three bodies.

1. The Appearance Body ( Nirmanakaya ). This was his physical body as it manifested in northern India from roughly 560 to 480 BC.

2. The Enjoyment Body ( Samboghakaya ). This is his "light body", the one he uses to travel between all dimensions in the phenomenological universe. It can be understood as the same kind of body that Jesus manifested in after the Resurrection (if one accepts Christian doctrine in that regard).

3. The Dharma Body ( Dharmakaya ). The Dharma Body ("body of ultimate truth"😉 is actually formless, and manifest as the essence of all sentient consciousness everywhere. In Zen this is known as the "Buddha-mind", and is the "reborn nature" of any who correctly tames their ego and awakens beyond the delusions of projected thought and false identification.

So the answer to "where is Buddha's body" is three-fold -- one, it is dissolved back into the universe (Nirmanakaya); two, it is available anywhere in the manifest universe, on whatever dimension, in its light-body form (Sambhogakaya); and three, it is the very essence of all beings everywhere (Dharmakaya).
  5. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 07:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 07:50
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?
    Mr. and Mrs. Grant 😵
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 08:40
    Originally posted by Metamorphosis
    Chief Shitting Bull.
    half right lol see the inbetween post
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 17:07
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    Mr. and Mrs. Grant 😵
    And his horse, right?
  9. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 14:21
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    And his horse, right?
    Which horse? Crazy Horse? He was last seen with Chief S. Bull.

Was General Grant a chessplayer and a Buddhist? If so, he might be in Nerd-vana.
  10. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 16:03
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Dunno, but according to:

I'm not a Buddhist myself, but as far as I can tell, the original Buddha is supposed to have been a man like any other, until he achieved Enlightenment, which all Buddhists hope to attain eventually (even if it takes many lifetimes). So you don't need to classify him as being fundamentally separate from humanity, because he's not - he's a role model, an example of how to live. In Christian terms, he is seen as a saint rather than a deity in his own right.

Buddhists don't believe in resurrection and eternal existence as some special power reserved for deities - they believe in reincarnation (same soul but a different body and mind) as a fact of life, which can only be escaped by enlightenment, which comes with the realisation that body and mind are chimeras. However, some Enlightened ones stay on Earth or return to it to help others, and the Buddha was/is one example of this. IIRC the Dalai Lama is also such a figure from his followers' point-of-view.
  11. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '05 08:16
    Very good!

Except for one tweaking here...where you wrote...(same soul but a different body and mind)

Buddhists do not believe in a soul or self. (That would be Hinduism, actually, which calls the soul "Atman" and regards the enlightenment processs of one where Atman=Brahman, where "Brahman" is the Absolute, or God, and the awakening entails the realization that one's soul is one with God). But Buddhism regards the self or soul as non-existent, and sees the essence of consciousness as "shunyata" ("emptiness"😉.

What this means is that all that is really "reincarnating" is the illusory projected world of the ego-self (or false self). So in the ultimate sense, Buddhism both accepts and rejects reincarnation. It accepts it because it acknowledges that in the dream-world of "maya" the separate self does in fact appear to exist, but with the awakening of the mind one sees that the entire process of reincarnation never actually happened, much like dreams at night never truly occurred from the standpoint of the one who just woke up to the sound of the birds and the sunshine. This is because both time and space are purely conceptual constructions, having no existence in ultimate reality, which is always based in the timeless Present Moment.
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    30 Mar '05 08:41
    Originally posted by Metamorphosis
    Very good!

Except for one tweaking here...where you wrote...[b](same soul but a different body and mind)

Buddhists do not believe in a soul or self. (That would be Hinduism, actually, which calls the soul "Atman" and regards the enlightenment processs of one where Atman=Brahman, where "Brahman" is the Absolute, or God, and the awakening e ...[text shortened]... having no existence in ultimate reality, which is always based in the timeless Present Moment. [/b]
    sort of like a Blaxxun Contact VRML chat world?
  13. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    30 Mar '05 22:46
    I've got the body of a God

Bhudda!

14. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '05 23:02
    Originally posted by invigorate
    I've got the body of a God

Bhudda!

LOL.

Well, actually the Buddha, the historical founder of Buddhism, was a slim-jim. That "fat guy" image is deriving from the Chinese Buddhist saint named "Hotei", or the "Laughing Buddha". He came many centuries after the historical founder of Buddhism, Siddartha Gautuam, who was not Chinese but Indian-Nepali.

Buddhist monks in India during the Buddha's time (and still today in the Theravadin tradition) are rarely overweight because most of them only eat one meal a day, at lunch time. Buddha himself, prior to his enlightenment, used to go on long fasts, and once ate only one blade of grass per day.

The might be the origin of the "Jade Buddha" image... 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree