1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 15:33
    An avowed atheist lived in a pretty cottage with his wife and little girl, of whom he was very fond. Once he became seriously ill and his devoted wife asked a Christian friend to come and speak to him about the truth in Christ.

The sick man greeted him with oaths and curses and abused his wife for having asked him to come. "Bring me a board and a piece of chalk," he demanded. His wife watched while his hot fevered fingers slowly traced in capital letters the words, "GOD IS NOWHERE." "There," said the sick man, "that is my creed. Place it at the foot of the bed so I can see it every time I open my eyes."

His fever arose and delirium came on. The little girl was taken to a Christian home where she was tenderly cared for and where she began to learn to read. After the father had somewhat recovered, the loving little daughter was brought home to visit him. He was deeply touched at seeing her again and had her lie down with her head on the pillow beside him.

"What have you been doing since I have been ill," he tenderly asked. "Oh, they have taken such good care of me and I have learned to read," she exclaimed.

"Have you?" said the fond father. "I wonder if you could read the words at the foot of my bed?" "Yes, father, let me try," said the little one, and she began slowly to spell out the words. "God is"-then she hesitated. "Oh, father, I've got it. GOD IS NOW HERE," and added, "Yes, father, so He is, and He has been here all the time you have been ill."

The father choked with emotion and gently said, "You must go now, darling." As soon as the door was closed he burst into tears of repentance and prayed aloud for God's forgiveness, for he saw that his boasted creed was nothing but his own invention. Broken-hearted over his sins, he came to know Jesus Christ as the One who bore all his transgressions. Soon afterward he was restored to health and to his loving family.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 16:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    An avowed atheist lived in a pretty cottage with his wife and little girl, of whom he was very fond. Once he became seriously ill and his devoted wife asked a Christian friend to come and speak to him about the truth in Christ.

The sick man greeted him with oaths and curses and abused his wife for having asked him to come. "Bring me a board and a piece of ...[text shortened]... . Soon afterward he was restored to health and to his loving family.
    But that's not how it goes in the real world. You have scores of people who fervently pray and you know what? They die anyway. They die at the same rate and under the same circumstances as everyone else. The universe behaves exactly as if there were no god.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 16:33
    Originally posted by rwingett
    But that's not how it goes in the real world. You have scores of people who fervently pray and you know what? They die anyway. They die at the same rate and under the same circumstances as everyone else. The universe behaves exactly as if there were no god.
    Kinda like Jesus begging to be spared the cross.

Yep, prayers don't always get answered.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 16:35
    Well that's a load of Bollocks.

For once rwingett got something right.

The universe acts exactly like there is no god.

Mainly due to there not being one.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 18:53
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well that's a load of Bollocks.

For once rwingett got something right.

The universe acts exactly like there is no god.

Mainly due to there not being one.
    Have you become sure there is no God now after discussing it with me?
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 19:12

"Have you?" said the fond father. "I wonder if you could read the words at the foot of my bed?" "Yes, father, let me try," said the little one, and she began slowly to spell out the words. "God is"-then she hesitated. "Oh, father, I've got it. GOD IS NOW HERE," and added, "Yes, father, so He is, and He has been here all the time you have been ill."

Th ...[text shortened]... ansgressions. Soon afterward he was restored to health and to his loving family.
    sorry rj, i dont get it. why has the father turned to god? is it because his daughter believes or because he is about to die, im unclear on why he suddenly decides god exists? what is the purpose of the story?
    i know people who have turned to religion when they have lost people, but thats just a natural reaction to not wanting them to be gone forever. turning to god on your deathbed is a similar thing, a fear of not wanting life to be over. it doesnt in anyway prove god exists.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 19:271 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    sorry rj, i dont get it. why has the father turned to god? is it because his daughter believes or because he is about to die, im unclear on why he suddenly decides god exists? what is the purpose of the story?
    i know people who have turned to religion when they have lost people, but thats just a natural reaction to not wanting them to be gone forever. ...[text shortened]... is a similar thing, a fear of not wanting life to be over. it doesnt in anyway prove god exists.
    It had nothing to do with him about to die or not dying. It was because of
    his love for his daughter and not wanting to disappoint her in my opinion.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 19:49
    Have you become sure there is no God now after discussing it with me?
    Oh I was sure that there are no gods long before meeting you.

I am not 100% absolute certain that there are no gods, and never can or will be, but I have
    been sure since junior school.
    In much the same way that I am sure that there is no Father Christmas, elves, or leprechauns.
    (all of which btw are much more plausible than your god concept).

Discussing theism on this site has helped me to refine and test my thoughts for why I am sure that
    their are no gods, but hasn't changed my opinion on the subject.

If I had been presented with anything resembling evidence for the existence for a god or gods then
    I would definitely changes my stance. But that hasn't happened.

I believe in the existence of things based on evidence and reason, and never faith.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 21:03

I am not 100% absolute certain that there are no gods, and never can or will be, but I have
    In much the same way that I am sure that there is no Father Christmas, elves, or leprechauns.

D ...[text shortened]... ppened.

I believe in the existence of things based on evidence and reason, and never faith.
    Where does the information come from that is in the genes that accounts
    for how we we reproduce and how intelligent we are?

http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/dna-atheists/

https://www.dna2art.com/blog/artistic-display-of-intelligence/
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 21:13
    Originally posted by rwingett
    We all have to die at some point. Even the guy in the story will die / or died eventually. Death is not a tragedy. This life is only a bus stop on the way to eternity.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 21:47
    Where does the information come from that is in the genes that accounts
    for how we we reproduce and how intelligent we are?

http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/dna-atheists/

https://www.dna2art.com/blog/artistic-display-of-intelligence/
    so are you saying that god wants people to have cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease, cancer, huntingtons, hemophilia and all the other horrible genetic diseases................way to go god!!!!

there are explanations to your question. but lets say there isnt, it STILL doesnt mean there is a god. just because you dont know why something happens doesnt mean that you can guess at the supernatural. imagine what the world would be like if scientists just stopped because they hadnt worked something out yet "we dont know why x+y=z so it must be god"
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 22:20
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    so are you saying that god wants people to have cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease, cancer, huntingtons, hemophilia and all the other horrible genetic diseases................way to go god!!!!

there are explanations to your question. but lets say there isnt, it STILL doesnt mean there is a god. just because you dont know why something happens doesn ...[text shortened]... stopped because they hadnt worked something out yet "we dont know why x+y=z so it must be god"
    Evolutionary scientist don't keep not knowing the truth about something
    from stopping them. They just guess about and make up things that they
    wish to be true.
  13. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 23:35

D ...[text shortened]... ppened.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And why do you believe this? Do you know that all that is worth knowing can be found only through reason and evidence? If you do prove it. You can't. Therefore you are in a position of faith , just like us all.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 00:00
    If I had been presented with anything resembling evidence for the existence for a god or gods then
    I would definitely changes my stance. But that hasn't happened.
    And this is why you will never receive your precious proof.

You must come to Him through faith. Any other path is useless. Your decision must be your own free will choice, so that you cannot claim that you were tricked into rejecting Him.

Release yourself from your pride. It is what condemns you.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 03:26
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You must come to Him through faith. Any other path is useless.
    the path of faith hasn't proven to be of any use.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree