1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    16 Jun '05 21:06
    Roaming around Heaven all day looking down on those misereable sinners roasting in agony, in Hell might make one ill . Just knowing that the vast majority will end up in the Flames is enough to ruin my mood. Heaven might be tainted with the knowlege that all those filthy heathens are frying like a peice of rotton meat down in the Pit. Heaven might end up not being the fun fest it could be with that knowledge.
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    16 Jun '05 21:11
    Originally posted by buckky
    Roaming around Heaven all day looking down on those misereable sinners roasting in agony, in Hell might make one ill . Just knowing that the vast majority will end up in the Flames is enough to ruin my mood. Heaven might be tainted with the knowlege that all those filthy heathens are frying like a peice of rotton meat down in the Pit. Heaven might end up not being the fun fest it could be with that knowledge.
    I asked this type of question a while back. Here's what people thought then.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=21270
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Jun '05 22:05
    Originally posted by telerion

Yes, the "Magic Memory Wipe Theory"; I remember it well (I think).
  4. Not Kansas
    Moves
    16 Jun '05 22:301 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yes, the "Magic Memory Wipe Theory"; I remember it well (I think).
    They have memory wipes in our local supermarket because I always forget something.
    Lists are for sissies.

EDIT: I forgot about the thread dagnabbit: heaven sounds like hell.
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Jun '05 23:55

Did you just tell him UTFS?
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    17 Jun '05 00:00
    Originally posted by buckky
    I would say once you are in Heaven as the Bible says God will wipe away all tears. So I would say that we will forget about the lost souls.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Jun '05 00:57
    Originally posted by David C
    Did you just tell him UTFS?
    Well, in more words than that, but yes since we had the same deal happen with the God-blood issue.

It doesn't matter too much. Besides it's a good question (there are a lot of them with xtianity).
  8. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    17 Jun '05 01:532 edits
    It could be fun to spit over the balcony railing, or make a paper airplane and toss it down there and see if it hits anybody.
  9. Standard memberAynat
    Dog Companion
    Rain Forest
    Moves
    17 Jun '05 02:13
    I have often thought of that other thread.

I recall that at one point we had a bunch of "the saved" sitting on a couch looking down on "the damned".....

I wondered then if anyone sitting on that couch would be willing to get off the couch and go to hell in the place of one of the damned for even a little while to relieve their suffering....I still wonder...

I think God (the one I believe in) would allow one to do so. I even think that an act of mercy and forgiveness on the part of a "saved" person might even make way for the "damned" to be released.

Although, I cannot imagine a heaven with a couch full of "saved" persons sitting gloating about the fate of "damned" persons. In fact, as I consider this, it occurs to me that I want no part of a diety which would allow this to occur....there is no love in sitting and observing the suffering of others, no compassion, no hope. It would be an abdication of humanity full of arrogance and self-rightousness.This is evil. I would find myself in the midst of a collection of psychopaths.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Jun '05 02:49
    Originally posted by Aynat
    I have often thought of that other thread.

I recall that at one point we had a bunch of "the saved" sitting on a couch looking down on "the damned".....

I wondered then if anyone sitting on that couch would be willing to get off the couch and go to hell in the place of one of the damned for even a little while to relieve their suffering....I still ...[text shortened]... lf-rightousness.This is evil. I would find myself in the midst of a collection of psychopaths.
    Aynat: I would find myself in the midst of a collection of psychopaths.

Welcome, to the fundie section of the Spirituality Forum!
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Jun '05 03:383 edits
    You know if there was an omnimax god that demanded justice but was also merciful, it wouldn't send souls to eternal torture. Instead, we all could have heaven even after everything that has happened on earth if this god made everyone perfectly understand two things:

1) the magnitude of suffering that they had caused here

2) the hardships each of their fellow beings (maybe other sentient life?) had endured.

Edit: Empathy and Guilt. Sound like heaven to anyone else? 😕
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Jun '05 04:06
    You know if there was an omnimax god that demanded justice but was also merciful, it wouldn't send souls to eternal torture. Instead, we all could have heaven even after everything that has happened on earth if this god made everyone perfectly understand two things:

1) the magnitude of suffering that they had caused here

2) the hardships each of t ...[text shortened]... ntient life?) had endured.

Edit: Empathy and Guilt. Sound like heaven to anyone else? 😕
    I'm still waiting for an answer to the question you posed about a month ago: why is the moment of death such a dividing line between being saved or not? Death would be an important point for a mortal Man but not an immortal, omnipotent God. Why couldn't a supposedly merciful God give those who sinned on Earth another shot after death if He truly wanted everybody saved as the fundies claim? Alas, I suppose it's yet another question which will get the only answer most of them can come up with: 'cuz the Bible says so!
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jun '05 14:43
    The hell you are thinking of is a flamming pit.
    According to my religion the whole bible works with pictures instead of a description of the real situation.

Heaven= "and God will live among them" is the endless being together with god wheras

Hell= is beeing eternally seperated from God and it´s light. This is something nobody can imagine cause even today God is not that far away from us as he will for the people in hell.

Just the opinion as far as I know of my religion
  14. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    18 Jun '05 08:08
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I would say once you are in Heaven as the Bible says God will wipe away all tears. So I would say that we will forget about the lost souls.
    Ah, now I see where the 'memory wipe' theory comes from.

I'm far from convinced that heaven would involve forgetting everything that had gone before. Just because there will be no more death doesn't mean we would forget what death actually is.

15. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    18 Jun '05 08:11
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm still waiting for an answer to the question you posed about a month ago: why is the moment of death such a dividing line between being saved or not? Death would be an important point for a mortal Man but not an immortal, omnipotent God. Why couldn't a supposedly merciful God give those who sinned on Earth another shot after death if He tru ...[text shortened]... question which will get the only answer most of them can come up with: 'cuz the Bible says so!
    Hmmm.

Actually, I don't know that the Bible DOES say so. I'll have to look into it. Maybe there's a bad assumption in there.

There's definitely judgement after death, but I'm not sure off the top of my head that it's necessarily IMMEDIATELY AFTER death.

Having said that, one could argue whether having 'another shot' would make any difference. I doubt that people would change the habits and attitudes of a lifetime all that easily. A whole different question, I know. I'm being slightly mischievous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree