1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 19:20
    Who do you know?

“Knowing God without knowing our own wretchedness makes for pride. Knowing our own wretchedness without knowing God makes for despair.

Knowing Jesus Christ strikes the balance because he shows us both God and our own wretchedness.” -Blaise Pascal / Who do you know?

>
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 19:32
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Who do you know?

“Knowing God without knowing our own wretchedness makes for pride. Knowing our own wretchedness without knowing God makes for despair.

Knowing Jesus Christ strikes the balance because he shows us both God and our own wretchedness.” -Blaise Pascal / Who do you know?

>[/b]
    I suggest the quote is an over-the-top way of saying optimism and pessimism about one's situation can both be overdone.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 20:193 edits
    [b]Who do you know?

>[/b]
    Blaise Pascal must have been a wise man in this regard. He is right about this for the Christian. We know both our wretchednesss as sinners to a deeper and deeper degree as we progress spiritually. Yet to a great degree we also know and marvel at the depth of God's forgiveness and redemption for us.

The latter is way more than adaquate to be a counter balance to the ever brighteneing light we receive on our sinful nature. Correspondingly an ever encreaseing revelation of what Christ can be in us and for us as we live in oneness with His perfect humanity.

The unbeliever in Christ may only think only the self wretchednesss of the sinner is made known to the follower of Jesus. Without experience the unbeliever cannot know either himself in the light of God and the encredible extent in which God in Christ comes to replace the fallen Adamic nature, and be the indwelling Godman as our new human life.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 21:43
    [b]Who do you know?

>[/b]
    I know myself. I am flawed, but not wretched. Thus, there is no cause for despair. I will never be perfect, but I do alright.
  5. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 02:37
    [b]Who do you know?

>[/b]
    blaise pascal didn't know what he was talking about.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 02:48
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    blaise pascal didn't know what he was talking about.
    You do not know what you are talking about, numbnuts! 😏
  7. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 02:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You do not know what you are talking about, numbnuts! 🙄
    why are you here? weren't you supposed to leave or are you another one who doesn't know what he is talking about?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 03:01
    why are you here? weren't you supposed to leave or are you another one who doesn't know what he is talking about?
    I come and go as I please. I am like the wind.
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 04:30
    you're like the wind blowing from the sewer. that's what your integrity amounts to; a pile of crap.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 04:50
    you're like the wind blowing from the sewer. that's what your integrity amounts to; a pile of crap.
    RJ is the destroyer of threads. The ones that do not survive him, deserve it.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 05:16
    He, he, he, 😀 You crack me up! 😀
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 05:445 edits
    Your spiritual persona here is gradually changing; you are becoming more petulant and careless with your words, whilst revealingly more caricatured - for example, your silly little 'signature' which you so carefully contrive to present exactly the same in every post.

Perhaps the ‘curtain’ is flapping open a little more and we see you franticly pulling levers and twisting dials in a vain attempt to keep the lights on. But perhaps you don't care about that, because as you are clearly running out of ideas on how to attract attention to yourself you are gradually realising that the cost is a now an irretrievable loss in your online character's credibility and the only option left is to send yourself up.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 06:00
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Your spiritual persona here is gradually changing; you are becoming more petulant and careless with your words, whilst revealingly more caricatured - for example, your silly little 'signature' which you so carefully contrive to present exactly the same in every post.

Perhaps the ‘curtain’ is flapping open a little more and we see you franticly pulli ...[text shortened]... loss in your online character's credibility and the only option left is to send yourself up.
    What???
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 21:55
    What???
    You heard.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 01:05
    it's really telling. some douche comes along and states something flippant, but since it apologizes for or defends the biblegod, the supporters of biblegod think it's some kind of wise words of a master.

let's examine the lack of substance here:

"Knowing God without knowing our own wretchedness makes for pride."

no. this is a fiat declaration, meaningless and unproven.

"Knowing our own wretchedness without knowing God makes for despair. "

"Knowing Jesus Christ strikes the balance because he shows us both God and our own wretchedness."

so what we have is a mess of jumbled words having no meaning other than to support an existing dogma. all those who are slaves of the dogma will immediately believe that all these things are actually true without being proven. it's the misguided "faith" thing at work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree