1. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 18:421 edit
    and who are christian called to love?

i was reading the purpose driven life last night, and it said that when we are called to "love one another", it is just other christians we are called to love, not everyone on the earth (as i always presumed it to be)*. this reminded me of a guy that was talking at my CU at uni who said that God only knows the names of his followers (and, indeed, only loves his followers), not of everyone. i'm not sure where his justification for this was, but it sometimes makes me think...

so, opinions anyone? personally, i think God loves us all, and he thinks we should do the same (and that quote, john 13:34-35, is a specific instance of loving on another). but does anyone hold an opposing opinion? how do you back it up?

*p56
  2. Illinois
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 20:032 edits
    Originally posted by genius
    and who are christian called to love?

i was reading the purpose driven life last night, and it said that when we are called to "love one another", it is just other christians we are called to love, not everyone on the earth (as i always presumed it to be)*. this reminded me of a guy that was talking at my CU at uni who said that God only knows the names of loving on another). but does anyone hold an opposing opinion? how do you back it up?

*p56
    "If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much" (Matt. 5:46).

"Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to those who are unthankful and wicked" (Luke 6:35).

BTW, I read page 56 of The Purpose Driven Life and I don't think he is meaning to say that Christians are to love only each other. What he is saying is that a Christian ought to accept and love other Christians just as God accepts and loves him, because a Christian is born anew into the family of believers. Undoubtedly the love between believers is special compared to all other loves, though it may arise from the same source which the love a Christian must have for his enemies does.
  3. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    09 Aug '07 23:46
    'You shall not take vengance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR as yourself; I am the Lord
    Lev. 19:18

'But I say to you, LOVE YOUR ENEMIES and pray for those who persecute you.
    Matt. 5:44
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Aug '07 11:40
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    "If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much" (Matt. 5:46).

"Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to those who are unthan ...[text shortened]... t may arise from the same source which the love a Christian must have for his enemies does.
    Well said. You might know the reference epiphinehas, but Paul or one of the other apostles did say to love and care for the'brotherhood'. Some Christians take that to mean to ignore non-Christians.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree