1. uk
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 19:39
    I have read the other threads about different religions and now have my own question that does not fit into one!
    I believe in something. That ties in with real scientific beliefs, e.g. How the world was formed.
    Eternity exists as you only have to look into the sky to see it. So that not a hard one.
    A part of my brain is by definition not just a chemical or biological function. Yet it exists.
    So many people fight over the right one. As long as you use soap powder in your wash it does not matter what brand?
    Anyone cares enough to answer, it would be good to know what you think?😕
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 19:42
    Originally posted by puzzlement
    I have read the other threads about different religions and now have my own question that does not fit into one!
    I believe in something. That ties in with real scientific beliefs, e.g. How the world was formed.
    Eternity exists as you only have to look into the sky to see it. So that not a hard one.
    A part of my brain is by definition not just a chemi ...[text shortened]... t matter what brand?
    Anyone cares enough to answer, it would be good to know what you think?😕
    Why do you need a religion at all? Perhaps it's time to throw that crutch away and walk on your own.
  3. uk
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 19:48
    Not a crutch a learning tool. Why would people care if the world died after their death, or What animals died out. Its interesting to note you dont have any faith in something bigger. Why do you bother if 100 years is all you got. Struggle through and die.?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 19:50
    Not a crutch a learning tool. Why would people care if the world died after their death, or What animals died out. Its interesting to note you dont have any faith in something bigger. Why do you bother if 100 years is all you got. Struggle through and die.?
    Why do you need a God to care if your children and grand children have a planet after our deaths? People seem to think only religious people care about anything... it's silly.

P-
  5. uk
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 19:57
    No I dont think you got my answer. Sorry I will try again. What I mean is for those of us who have no children. No family have nothing yet still go on. I do not understand no beliefe. Thats why I posted it? I believe in science and religion. If something goes wrong it just did no blame. I dont need it as you put it I chose to have a thought in the back of my head that explains the point.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 19:58
    I do not want the world to die out because I care about the people who will inhabit it after I'm gone. Even though I will not have any children, I have plenty of nieces, nephews, friends and relatives that I hope would prosper and thrive in my absence. You don't need a god for that.

I do not want to see animals become extinct because the earth we inhabit is a delicate ecosystem. Species going extinct, higgeldy piggeldy would be an indicator of something gone seriously out of kilter. I want to live on a healthy planet. You don't need a god for that.

I do not have "faith" in anything bigger, but I find abundant joy and awe in the natural processes of the universe itself. You don't need a god for that.

I bother, because 100 years IS all I've got. There won't be any sequel, so I've got do make the best of it while I can. You don't need a god for that.

In fact, you don't really need a god for anything. You've just been duped into thinking you do.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 20:01
    No I dont think you got my answer. Sorry I will try again. What I mean is for those of us who have no children. No family have nothing yet still go on. I do not understand no beliefe. Thats why I posted it? I believe in science and religion. If something goes wrong it just did no blame. I dont need it as you put it I chose to have a thought in the back of my head that explains the point.
    It's not that I don't have any beliefs. I do. But I have no beliefs in any gods or supernatural phenomena. I have no religious beliefs.
  8. uk
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 20:02
    I agree you don’t need one. The closest thing I can get to a religion is pagan. Due to there being just one rule. Harm none. Not animals not people not plants. I believe religion is a form of guide to help us not control. It sounds like you have been force to listen to someone else’s beliefs
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 20:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It's not that I don't have any beliefs. I do. But I have no beliefs in any gods or supernatural phenomena. I have no religious beliefs.
    The Wobbly songbook is full of old gospel songs, albeit with better words.
  10. uk
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 20:06
    Sorry don't get it please explain?
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 20:08
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    The Wobbly songbook is full of old gospel songs, albeit with better words.
    True. As Utah Phillips says, they took the old hymns because they were beautiful songs and most people knew them already. But they just changed the words around so they made more sense.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 20:11
    I agree you don’t need one. The closest thing I can get to a religion is pagan. Due to there being just one rule. Harm none. Not animals not people not plants. I believe religion is a form of guide to help us not control. It sounds like you have been force to listen to someone else’s beliefs
    Are you not capable of doing good on your own, or for its own merits?

If your one rule is not to harm anyone, do you need a whole religion for that?

If religion served solely as a guide, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But I'm afraid its tentacles are far more corrosive than that.
  13. uk
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 20:12
    Are we talking about christians???? Still a little lost?
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 20:13
    Sorry don't get it please explain?
    He's referring to my avatar. The I.W.W. (Industrial Workers of the World) were popularly known as the "Wobblies." They had a rich musical tradition.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 20:16
    Are we talking about christians???? Still a little lost?
    Yes and no. Some religions are worse than others. Evangelical religions obviously being the worst. But I think all religion is unnecessary and ultimately harmful in the long run.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree