1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 22:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You both have hopped, skipped and jumped over the word "just" in my quote.

That is just your opinion.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 22:47
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Not only is it just her opinion, it also a self-serving opinion because it happens to be the same as her point of view. 😀
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 22:59
    Not the way you used it. You would do well to not slander someone's belief by calling it "religiosity". But this is typical, you very often substitute another word (which you clearly regard as more insulting) for a crucial word in the argument. But this doesn't actually say anything about the original crucial word in the argument, except to slander it and make it seem "bad". It's more misdirection and misrepresentation.
    I used the word "religiosity" because that is exactly what I mean to say. Judging by many of the assertions Grampy Bobby makes, his religiosity appears to have deprived him of some understanding of the human condition and the nature of human beliefs: it is just not possible to somehow go ahead and believe something that ~ in fact ~ one simply does not believe.

I attribute Grampy Bobby's blind spot here to his religiosity. Others might cite his self-righteousness or him getting his preaching-to-the-choir jollies. But I put it down to a case of sincerity-distorted religiosity. There is no "misdirection" here. I am completely on-topic and addressing exactly what he says and what his assertions are.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 21:58
    Yes, that is my opinion. Who else's would it be?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 22:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not only is it just her opinion, it also a self-serving opinion because it happens to be the same as her point of view. 😀
    Yes, it is my opinion, and it is my opinion, and it is my point of view.

Anything else? Any more obvious statements? You see how this is working, right? Of course you do.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 22:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    I used the word "religiosity" because that is exactly what I mean to say. Judging by many of the assertions Grampy Bobby makes, his religiosity appears to have deprived him of some understanding of the human condition and the nature of human beliefs: it is just not possible to somehow go ahead and believe something that ~ in fact ~ one simply does not believe. ...[text shortened]... here. I am completely on-topic and addressing exactly what he says and what his assertions are.
    Of course it is the word you mean to say, because you wish to portray him in the worst possible light. Most people would just say "belief" instead of a loaded word that has all kinds of mostly untrue baggage associated with it, but, as you say, that's why you used it.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 22:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 00:14
    Of course it is the word you mean to say, because you wish to portray him in the worst possible light. Most people would just say "belief" instead of a loaded word that has all kinds of mostly untrue baggage associated with it, but, as you say, that's why you used it.
    But I don't think that his "belief" is what has deprived Grampy Bobby of his understanding of this aspect of the human condition. I think it's his particular brand of religiosity. So it is the apt choice of word for me to use to express my view. I know plenty of Christians with firm beliefs who can, nevertheless, recognize that it is just not possible for one to somehow go ahead and believe something that ~ in fact ~ one simply does not believe. Religionist "belief" (the word you reckon I should use) does not necessarily result in a believer being stripped of the ability to understand the nature of belief and disbelief. I think the cause is "religiosity". For me to correctly state my opinion here, the word "religiosity" works and the word "belief" doesn't.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 01:34
    Yes, that is my opinion. Who else's would it be?
    You have hopped, skipped and jumped over the word "just" in my quote.

"Just your opinion" means that's all it is. It in no way describes anything approaching "truth".
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 02:58

"Just your opinion" means that's all it is. It in no way describes anything approaching "truth".
    "It in no way describes anything approaching "truth"."

Well, then by all means please describe the "truth".
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 08:19
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"It in no way describes anything approaching "truth"."

Well, then by all means please describe the "truth".[/b]
    Ask Suzi.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 10:30
    Ask Suzi.
    There it is again. Disingenuousness. Intellectual dishonesty. You stated that what was said "...in no way describes anything approaching "truth"", and when called on it to support that contention by describing what the truth is you run and hide behind Suzianne.

Just be honest and say you don't know what the truth is.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 16:56

So I can assume you've learned from this lesson?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 16:59
    Originally posted by josephw
    There it is again. Disingenuousness. Intellectual dishonesty. You stated that what was said "...in no way describes anything approaching "truth"", and when called on it to support that contention by describing what the truth is you run and hide behind Suzianne.

Just be honest and say you don't know what the truth is.
    Joe, please follow along.

He was quoting me, without proper attribution.

I wanted to wish that this was a signal that he has learned from the lesson, but alas, I see that he only wanted to play games.
  15. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 17:01
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Why Do Men Reject God?" (By Wayne Jackson, M.A.)

"Most people in the world, throughout the ages of history, have believed in some concept of a Supreme Being. They may have had a perverted sense of Who that Being is, but they were convinced that there is a Personal Power greater than man. Given the evidence available, faith is reasonable. Tha ...[text shortened]... or's premise that "emotional motivation of some sort is a primary causative factor." of atheism?[/b]
    just not enough room for me and him so he had to go.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree