Why do people think the world is...

Why do people think the world is...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
23 Feb 23

Why do people think the world is here FOR us?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Feb 23

@fmf said
'Some' people may believe that, no doubt due to human arrogance.

F

Moves
23 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
'Some' people may believe that, no doubt due to human arrogance.
Or parochialism perhaps.

F

Moves
23 Feb 23

@fmf said
This thought exercise came to mind having watched part of a lecture by Douglas Adams.

F

Moves
23 Feb 23

@fmf said
This thought exercise came to mind having watched part of a lecture by Douglas Adams.
“This world,” [the curious caveman] says, “well, who … so, so who made it?” Now, of course he thinks that, because he makes things himself, so he’s looking for someone who will have made this world.

He says, “So, who would have made this world? Well, it must be something a little bit like me. Obviously much much bigger, and necessarily invisible, but he would have made it. Now, why did he make it?”

Now, we always ask ourselves “why” because we look for intention around us, because we always do something with intention.

You know, we boil an egg in order to eat it. So, we look at the rocks and we look at the trees, and we wonder what intention is here, even though it doesn’t have intention.

So we think, what did this person who made this world intend it for. And this is the point where you think, “Well, it fits me very well. You know, the caves and the forests, and the stream, and the mammoths. He must have made it for me! I mean, there’s no other conclusion you can come to.”

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Feb 23
1 edit

From 'The Day the Earth Stood Still:

Regina Jackson : I speak for the President of the United States. Now, please; tell me why have you come to our planet.

Klaatu : *Your* planet.

Regina Jackson : Yes; this is our planet.

Klaatu : No, it is not.

Helen Benson : I need to know what's happening.

Klaatu : This planet is dying. The human race is killing it.

Helen Benson : So you've come here to help us.

Klaatu : No, *I* didn't.

Helen Benson : You said you came to save us.

Klaatu : I said I came to save the Earth.

Helen Benson : You came to save the Earth... from us. You came to save the Earth *from* us.

Klaatu : We can't risk the survival of this planet for the sake of one species.

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 Feb 23

@fmf said
Why do some people think the whole universe was created for ONE man, named Adam? That is so far beyond megalomania, it makes Donald Trump look like an eagle scout.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Feb 23

@moonbus said
Why do some people think the whole universe was created for ONE man, named Adam? That is so far beyond megalomania, it makes Donald Trump look like an eagle scout.
That idea was fabricated by Christian extremists. Going by what the bible says - the Earth was given to men, the heavens [which I presume includes all of the universe] belong to God.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
25 Feb 23

@fmf said
personally i do not think the earth is here "for" humans

a quote that sums up more closely the way i think is this,

"We Do Not Inherit the Earth from Our Ancestors; We Borrow It from Our Children"

Amish Saying?
Ralph Waldo Emerson?
Native American Proverb?
Wendell Berry?
Oscar Wilde?
Chief Seattle?
Moses Henry Cass?
Dennis J. Hall?
Helen Caldicott?
Lester Brown?
David R. Brower?
Taghi Farvar?
Anonymous?

attribution is murky
but an interesting essay can be found here that goes in depth but resolves little

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/01/22/borrow-earth/