1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 13:07
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    What a load of garbage you talk. There are lots of tribal languages that have no written form, the Massalit tribal language from Chad has no written language.
    They are not other creatures., you ignoramous. They are humans.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 13:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    And they have no written language, which puts them; in your eyes anyhow, on the same level as the other 'creatures'?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 13:16
    calm down guys, please, its only the net, no one evah changes their minds, evah!
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 14:52
    I wasn't there. But they sure do now, that is the point.
    Dude.
    But you are suggesting that the only kind of language is written language. You can't be serious, surely?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 15:00
    What a load of garbage you talk. There are lots of tribal languages that have no written form, the Massalit tribal language from Chad has no written language.
    More importantly, a significant proportion of the world is illiterate - yet perfectly capable of communicating through language.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 15:021 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    really?? which other creation is able to form abstract thoughts in their minds and then convey those thoughts to others, so that they also are able to grasp them? do tell, this should be interesting.
    So language requires communication of abstract thought? Where do you get your definitions? Or do you make them up and change them as the thread progresses?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 15:36
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So language requires communication of abstract thought? Where do you get your definitions? Or do you make them up and change them as the thread progresses?
    why dont you answer the question instead of resorting to your usual obfuscation, which other creatures can form abstract thought and communicate those thoughts through language, you have said that its not unique so which other creature does it? during the course of this inquiry it is noted that you have failed to produce one credible reference, indeed, not one of your assertions have stood, to wit, you have claimed that Apes are conscious, evidence, nil, you have claimed that they are conscious of beauty and art, evidence, nil, you have claimed that language is not unique to humans, evidence , nill. All in all, i would state that you are the worst debater i have come across, you dont know what you are talking about or your an automated machine, so that when anyone actually tries to ascertain the basis for your arguments, you simply spill out more bilge.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 15:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    More importantly, a significant proportion of the world is illiterate - yet perfectly capable of communicating through language.
    As I suspected, you are confusing communication with language, as if marking a boundary through sent by peeing on a piece of grass is the same as forming words and ideas with the vocal chords. What a spangle.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 16:01
    in animals i do not know, in humans we have the 'stream of thought', which we can communicate through the unique gift of language.
    How do you know if other animals don't have a 'stream of thought'?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 16:10
    As I suspected, you are confusing communication with language, as if marking a boundary through sent by peeing on a piece of grass is the same as forming words and ideas with the vocal chords. What a spangle.
    You ever hear recordings of whale songs? You think that is just the vocal equivalent of peeing on a rock?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 16:211 edit
    How do you know if other animals don't have a 'stream of thought'?
    I have asked my rabbits that question many times, they seem to all intents and purposes, to run on purely instinct. That they can feel threatened, agitated, happy and joyful, i have no doubt, but to reason, well, that's something else. Crows are quite clever though, i have observed them hiding food, cracking snails from on high, whether this is construed as problem solving and reasoning is another matter. Ans are incredible wise, they store food, cooperate, farm aphids, but again, i think its purely instinctive.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 16:221 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You ever hear recordings of whale songs? You think that is just the vocal equivalent of peeing on a rock?
    I have no way of knowing what it is. I dont speak, whale. Do you?
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 16:25
    I have no way of knowing what it is. I dont speak, whale. Do you?
    Well that answers my question above. If you can't speak whale how do you know that they don't have a 'stream of thought'?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 16:262 edits
    Well that answers my question above. If you can't speak whale how do you know that they don't have a 'stream of thought'?
    I dont, but then again, neither do you 🙂 I once watched a program where the trainer of a large Orca I think it was (beautiful creature) played three sounds, within the range of the whales sound, to signify action. Like, take the ball, a sound was played, give it back, a sound was played etc. It was recorded that the whale tossed the ball from the pool and made a sound at the same pitch for the command to 'take the ball'. This was hailed as the first command given by a creature to a human. I thought it was interesting, but pure coincidence, for it was unable to be replicated.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 16:31
    I dont, but then again, neither do you 🙂
    I'm not the one claiming that animals aren't conscious though. You've successfully debunked your own claim using your own definition.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree