1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 03:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well at least we agree on music🙂
    Notice I did not say anything about inherent intelligence, of course we are smarter than dogs and such, maybe not whales or dolphins, that is debatable at this point but even if they are smarter, we have a big advantage, FINGERS!, and we live on land, no accounting for the damage we can do there, eh! At least dolphins can' ...[text shortened]... und their home galaxies and getting in each others way all dressed up and no place to go......
    Well at least we agree on music🙂
    Assuming that agreement is good, right?

maybe not whales or dolphins...
    I'm trying to think of the last time I heard of a whale or a dolphin civilization which produced anything other than whales and dolphins (and whale and dolphin feces, of course).

At least dolphins can't destroy the whole Earth biosphere.
    That reminds me of Steve Martin's dad, the barber...

For one thing, look at the accounting problem.
    How many hairs on your head, again? For the One who made it all, keeping it in order is a walk in the park.

It outnumbers regular matter 5 to one so maybe that's it, Dark Matter=Souls all floating around hanging around their home galaxies and getting in each others way all dressed up and no place to go......
    Last time I checked, dark matter was inside the known universe.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 03:34
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Well at least we agree on music🙂
    Assuming that agreement is good, right?

maybe not whales or dolphins...
    I'm trying to think of the last time I heard of a whale or a dolphin civilization which produced anything other than whales and dolphins (and whale and dolphin feces, of course).

At least dolphins can't destroy the whole ...[text shortened]... lace to go......
    Last time I checked, dark matter was inside the known universe.[/b]
    "INSIDE the known universe" Of course that does beg the question of what is OUTSIDE the known universe and it seems more and more there IS an outside to our universe. So grasping at straws again, you would say, AHA, THATS where the 'souls' are, the completely skip out on this section of reality and contaminate yet ANOTHER universe🙂
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 03:43
    "INSIDE the known universe" Of course that does beg the question of what is OUTSIDE the known universe and it seems more and more there IS an outside to our universe. So grasping at straws again, you would say, AHA, THATS where the 'souls' are, the completely skip out on this section of reality and contaminate yet ANOTHER universe🙂
    Well, we definitely know it has an end: we 'see' it's edges. What is outside the known is what was before the known.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 04:18
    In other words, grasping at straws, anything, any old theory that fits the bill, to save the concept of Earthly life having this thing called 'souls'
    Its better to try and fail than not to try at all, wouldn't you say?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 04:19
    Originally posted by ua41
    There's apparently research on the weight of souls. When a person dies, they lose 21 grams. Many people attribute this to being the soul.
    But the whole speculation on dark matter/energy is interesting. I've read and talked about how people claim it to be the Dao, souls, et cetera.
    21 grams and 6 watts of energy, apparently
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 06:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes, most truly, for they do not kill for ulterior motive nor destroy their environment.
    Many animals do both.
  7. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 15:51
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Its better to try and fail than not to try at all, wouldn't you say?
    I believe thats essentially the point sonhouse is trying to make (well I can't say if he's advocating it).
    There seems to be this inherent strive in humans to desire something of us to continue on, as if the recycling of our atoms and ideas isn't satisfactory enough. As humans, we have become enslaved by our own prisons- we confine ourselves to sets of ideals and ways (look at how we live: education, work, government, law). Similarly, it seems we are convinced of something everlasting as part of us and peoples have devoted religions towards it.
    Not a horrible thing in itself, but the differences we see in the soul amongst each other have proven dangerous
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 21:58
    I believe thats essentially the point sonhouse is trying to make (well I can't say if he's advocating it).
    There seems to be this inherent strive in humans to desire something of us to continue on, as if the recycling of our atoms and ideas isn't satisfactory enough. As humans, we have become enslaved by our own prisons- we confine ourselves to sets of ideals ...[text shortened]... ng in itself, but the differences we see in the soul amongst each other have proven dangerous
    The thing I don't like is humans just assuming they have souls with no proof, just a racial wishful thinking. I think the human race will never grow up and be an actual mature society until they chuck this false facade where they HAVE to think there is a soul in order to just function from day to day.
    When people really internalize there is no such thing as a soul, I think they would be less inclined to be terrorists, to be criminals, to kill wontonly, or to kill in the name of some religion or other. Can someone explain to me exactly how spiritual you are if you kill in the name of your so-called god?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 00:47
    The thing I don't like is humans just assuming they have souls with no proof, just a racial wishful thinking. I think the human race will never grow up and be an actual mature society until they chuck this false facade where they HAVE to think there is a soul in order to just function from day to day.
    When people really internalize there is no such thing ...[text shortened]... eone explain to me exactly how spiritual you are if you kill in the name of your so-called god?
    Spirituality and murder are diametrically opposed
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 02:32
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Spirituality and murder are diametrically opposed
    Not according to some of the books of the christian bible and the Islam Q'uran.
    That is what makes it especially heinous. According to some of those books, you HAVE to kill non-believers.
    That makes me firmly believe neither of these so-called bibles were authored by ANY god, but only sick humans seeking a larger power base by force. Oh yes, not to mention, the subjugation of women. They like to be on top.
  11. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 02:47
    When people really internalize there is no such thing ...[text shortened]... eone explain to me exactly how spiritual you are if you kill in the name of your so-called god?
    Arrogance does not necessarily stem from a belief in the soul. People are just prone to being self centered and yes, there can be a correlation I suppose- people who need to rely on a concept of self or soul can over compensate in social elements in their life and it comes off arrogantly.
    But at the same time, I suppose you need to operate on people not having souls? How is that a functional attitude if the same concept of reliance is used?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 16:26
    Arrogance does not necessarily stem from a belief in the soul. People are just prone to being self centered and yes, there can be a correlation I suppose- people who need to rely on a concept of self or soul can over compensate in social elements in their life and it comes off arrogantly.
    But at the same time, I suppose you need to operate on people not having souls? How is that a functional attitude if the same concept of reliance is used?
    It would be reliance on reality not fairy tales.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 00:16
    Not according to some of the books of the christian bible and the Islam Q'uran.
    That is what makes it especially heinous. According to some of those books, you HAVE to kill non-believers.
    That makes me firmly believe neither of these so-called bibles were authored by ANY god, but only sick humans seeking a larger power base by force. Oh yes, not to mention, the subjugation of women. They like to be on top.
    Thats why I said 'spirituality'. Thats how I make my distinctions.

I have never needed to exercise violent behaviour, (in order to defend my family,for example), the premise is there but I doubt it will ever come up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree