03 Mar '11 04:44
    http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 01:23
    Originally posted by josephw
    http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html
    A new study says alcohol is more destructive than illegal drugs like heroin and crack.

British scientists, lead by Dr. David Nutt at the University of Bristol, evaluated these three drugs, as well as ecstasy and marijuana (20 drugs in all), ranking each of them on the following criteria: physical harm to the user, how addictive it is, and the effect of its use on families, communities, and society.

They included economic costs like health care, social services, and prison.

Heroin, crack and crystal meth are deadliest to the individual user, the study showed, but when their wider social effects are taken into account, alcohol is the most damaging, followed by heroin and crack.

Experts said alcohol scored so high because it's so widely used and has devastating consequences not only for drinkers but for those around them. Excessive drinking damages nearly all organ systems, and is also connected to higher death rates. It's also involved in a greater percentage of crime than most other drugs, including heroin.

Marijuana, ecstasy and LSD scored far lower, according to the study, published in the "The Lancet."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20021311-10391704.html
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 01:341 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    A new study says alcohol is more destructive than illegal drugs like heroin and crack.

British scientists, lead by Dr. David Nutt at the University of Bristol, evaluated these three drugs, as well as ecstasy and marijuana (20 drugs in all), ranking each of them on the following criteria: physical harm to the user, how addictive it is, and the e in the "The Lancet."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20021311-10391704.html
    (Psalm 104:15) . . .And wine that makes the heart of mortal man rejoice, To make the face shine with oil,. . .

(Ecclesiastes 3:12-13) . . .I have come to know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good during one’s life; and also that every man should eat and indeed drink and see good for all his hard work. It is the gift of God.

(Matthew 11:19) . . .the Son of man did come eating and drinking, still people say, ‘Look! A man gluttonous and given to drinking wine, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ All the same, wisdom is proved righteous by its works.”
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 02:001 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    (Psalm 104:15) . . .And wine that makes the heart of mortal man rejoice, To make the face shine with oil,. . .

(Ecclesiastes 3:12-13) . . .I have come to know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good during one’s life; and also that every man should eat and indeed drink and see good for all his hard work. It is the gift ...[text shortened]... a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ All the same, wisdom is proved righteous by its works.”
    Are you trying to point out that the hypocrisy of western culture towards alcohol vs. other recreational drugs is perhaps rooted in Judeo-Christian mores?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 02:232 edits
    Are you trying to point out that the hypocrisy of western culture towards alcohol vs. other recreational drugs is perhaps rooted in Judeo-Christian mores?
    nope! i am merely pointing out that alcohol, in moderation is fine, to be enjoyed and may enhance a persons life, according to scripture that is.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 02:41
    nope! i am merely pointing out that alcohol, in moderation is fine, to be enjoyed and may enhance a persons life, according to scripture that is.
    So why do you believe the hypocrisy exists?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 04:50
    Experts said alcohol scored so high because it's so widely used ....
    Isn't that obvious? If they scored it without taking usage into consideration then its no surprise that it scored worst. It wouldn't surprise me if sugar scored even worse than alcohol. After all, obesity probably kills more people than alcohol does.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 07:271 edit
    Other than people like the Cotton industry, which was hemps main rival 100 or so years ago, there are other forces at work to discredit marijuana use and keep people in their cycles of fear.
    The first law passed in the U.S. (sometime in the 17th century) was that farmers MUST GROW hemp. Hemp was the most widely used plant with more uses than any other pant until 1900 in the U.S. You could make more stuff out of hemp, including fuel, than any other plant.
    The declaration of independance was written on hemp paper.
    Then in the reefer madness times, when they out lawed marijuana because it made people "violent, sex crazed,hyper,etc." they also outlawed hemp, which doesn't get you high. Why?

During WW2 hemp was RELGALIZED but at the end of the war it was MADE ILLEGAL once more , but this time for totally the opposite reason they used before.
    Now they were saying that the Communists were trying to get the American population high because it made them lethargic and unable to fight properly in war. They reckoned that Russia was trying to get the whole of the U.S. population high so they could invade. (meanwhile it is a well known fact that the U.S. soldiers were using speed to aid their combat reflexes. And apparently "ice" was invented during WW2 by the Japanese as an answer to the speed the american soldiers were using)

Now we get to the sealer to my arguement.
    The grey aliens from mars (tha bad ones ) "punched " a hole through this sort of protective psycic membrane around the Earth , met the leaders of the world, or some anyway, and proceeded to :skip through time" in our world('s history) and change stuff to fit in with the control agenda they had for our future. (for NOW). And it seems to be still working. They could go back as far as 100 000 years into the Earths past, change S*** and then come back. I believe they either directly or indirectly subtly put in little lies into the Earths history. Saying this is good or that is bad. Now science is starting to prove the false stuff that we have found in history. And there has been much false stuff. What about some ommisions from the bible?
    There have been numerous , long term studies into the effects of marijuana on a person.
    Most of these studies were trying to find something harmful about it. So far there has not been one deatha nywhere directly attributed to marijuana.
    The only harmful part of it is the smoking. Burning plant material gives of toxic , potentially cancer causing chemicals, just like cigarettes.
    But you prolly woulrdn't smoke as many joints a day as you would ciggies (perhaps I'm mistaken there, I'm just generalizing)
    Anyway, orally ingested, it definately does something to the brain, but nothing essentially negative, in fact the majority of users claim the opposite.

For some of my close friends from twenty years ago, I kmow for a fact that pot saved the life of at least 2 guys I knew personally. I also knew another one who didn't make it. She got into pot, but then depression and subsequent heroin use abruptly ended her young life. RIP Anita:'(
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 08:48
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Now we get to the sealer to my arguement.
    The grey aliens from mars (tha bad ones ) "punched " a hole through this sort of protective psycic membrane around the Earth , met the leaders of the world, or some anyway, and proceeded to :skip through time" in our world('s history) and change stuff to fit in with the control agenda they had for our future. ...[text shortened]... d in history. And there has been much false stuff. What about some ommisions from the bible?
    I think you have had a bit more than alcohol. 🙂
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 13:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    When I was younger, yes.
    I'm just on the dry white now....
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 13:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Apparently the aliens couldn't go past 2025. For some reason.They were dumbfounded themselves as to why.

Just had to finish that story
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 14:273 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Other than people like the Cotton industry, which was hemps main rival 100 or so years ago, there are other forces at work to discredit marijuana use and keep people in their cycles of fear.
    The first law passed in the U.S. (sometime in the 17th century) was that farmers MUST GROW hemp. Hemp was the most widely used plant with more uses than any other n depression and subsequent heroin use abruptly ended her young life. RIP Anita:'(
    i smoked weed for ten years Karoly, as much as i could, almost daily, i have also indulged in more amphetamines, hallucinogenics natural and synthetic and other stimulants than i care to mention. What are you trying to say? That weed is good for you? I would have to dispute that, for while there may be medical grounds for its use and even those who state that its recreational use is better than alcohol for it does not produce loss of co-ordination, nor lead to aggressive behaviour, quite the opposite actually, there are also unwelcome side effects after prolonged use which we cannot ignore. My main objection in a religious context is that it is spiritualist (not to be confused with spirituality), which the Bible naturally prohibits.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 14:38
    i smoked weed for ten years Karoly, as much as i could, almost daily, i have also indulged in more amphetamines, hallucinogenics natural and synthetic and other stimulants than i care to mention. What are you trying to say? That weed is good for you? I would have to dispute that fact.
    Smoking weed all day everyday is certainly not a good thing, just as drinking alcohol all day everyday isn't a good thing. It's only going to end in disaster.

A little alcohol every now and again, with the occassional drinking to excess isn't going to do you any harm, except spending a day with a hangover. Personally, i can't see how applying the same philosophy to marijuana will do you any harm also.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 14:47
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Smoking weed all day everyday is certainly not a good thing, just as drinking alcohol all day everyday isn't a good thing. It's only going to end in disaster.

A little alcohol every now and again, with the occassional drinking to excess isn't going to do you any harm, except spending a day with a hangover. Personally, i can't see how applying the same philosophy to marijuana will do you any harm also.
    yes indeed, dear Noobster, I do not dispute its occasional use on mere health grounds alone, however, as you are only too well aware, its a communal drug, when one buys a 'quarter', one tends to be in an environment where everyone else smokes weed, someone makes a splif, it gets smoked, another does the same and we end up in a room full of stoned people. We go home and our friends come to the house, they also bring their weed and we get stoned. In the morning, if we have nothing pressing, we have breakfast, light a splif and we get stoned. Is this not the case? Its not the same as going to your local after work and asking for, 'a pint of bitter please George', before you go home to wife and kids.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Mar '11 16:22
    yes indeed, dear Noobster, I do not dispute its occasional use on mere health grounds alone, however, as you are only too well aware, its a communal drug, when one buys a 'quarter', one tends to be in an environment where everyone else smokes weed, someone makes a splif, it gets smoked, another does the same and we end up in a room full of stoned peo ...[text shortened]... work and asking for, 'a pint of bitter please George', before you go home to wife and kids.
    This is one scenario you've painted and then stereotyped everyone who smokes weed to it. Sounds a lot like my life for a 5 year spell though.

What you're neglecting to mention is that many people who smoke weed actaully have a job and a family and get stuff done, they don't sit around getting 'caned' all day. I know numerous people who work 9-5, and more hours, who every now and again will come home from work and smoke a spliff or two. They then get up the next morning and go to work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree