1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    16 Feb '10 21:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    art cannot really function i think without mathematics. there are of course varying degrees. Art that is produced purely by mathematics, like fractals, or art that distorts mathematics by utilising creative perspective. Others like Cubism which seems to try to render three dimensions on a two dimensional plane. Again there are artists like Escher ...[text shortened]... eparable, although i would like to see someone attempt 'art', without recourse to mathematics.
    While math always defines a work of art in it's physical attributes, artists are not necessarily mathematicians. My Danish buddy comes to mind. He just likes the way things look; he doesn't analyze or quantify. He's 100% right brained.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    16 Feb '10 21:101 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    its not the same thing.

occam's razor is just a basic guideline. it applies in some cases. however as knowledge becomes more and more complex so does the theories.

occam's razor doesn't help you find the right answer. it only suggests that if you don't need a concept in your reasoning, eliminate it.

and yes, god is not "needed" in making the univ it.

try and use your reasoning and stop quoting principles you do not understand.
    You patronizing jackass. You're lecturing me about what happened before the big bang and then telling me to stop quoting principles I don't understand? Roffles.

it is believed that nothing "before" the big bang exists to have triggered it.

That's not true. In the words of Stephen Hawking,

Since events before the Big Bang have no observational consequences, one may as well cut them out of the theory, and say that time began at the Big Bang. Events before the Big Bang, are simply not defined, because there's no way one could measure what happened at them. This kind of beginning to the universe, and of time itself, is very different to the beginnings that had been considered earlier. These had to be imposed on the universe by some external agency. There is no dynamical reason why the motion of bodies in the solar system can not be extrapolated back in time, far beyond four thousand and four BC, the date for the creation of the universe, according to the book of Genesis. Thus it would require the direct intervention of God, if the universe began at that date. By contrast, the Big Bang is a beginning that is required by the dynamical laws that govern the universe. It is therefore intrinsic to the universe, and is not imposed on it from outside.

http://www.hawking.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=66
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    16 Feb '10 21:13
    in this case i only have to define god as omnipotent. and while god may be infintely complex, he is the easiest solution to any problem conceivable.

why does it rain? god.
    why are we alive? god.
    why do we dream? god.

using god like that is very easy. it is also the end of science, progress and mostly everything that defines us as a curious race. ...[text shortened]... le. (well i guess you could say that if it is only solution, it is the most simple as well)
    which in my view means discard anything you do not need in finding a solution

Exactly.

When Laplace showed Napoleon his treatise on celestial mechanics, Napoleon asked him what place God had in his theory. Laplace replied that he had no need for that hypothesis.

http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/religion.html
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    16 Feb '10 21:181 edit
    why can't an omnipotent being without end or begininng explain everything? i don't have to prove this theory because occam's razor(in the form i find incorrect) doesn't require me to do that.

i add god to the table. and i end all debate. god is the ultimate answer. and is easier to say god makes the sun work rather than say x amount of presure, y amount of heat that allows for fusion to give z amount of energy.
    Think about this sort of question:

Why do solids melt into liquids?

Because God makes them melt.

Is that going to help us understand why solid sodium chloride is not electrically conductive but molten sodium chloride is? No. It's not the simplest explanation for all that we have observed about melting. It doesn't explain why solids melt instead of turn into raccoons.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    16 Feb '10 21:20
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    It may eliminate an entity, but it produces a new problem: how to explain the eternal existence of a created entity in a manner which does not require acts which resemble the acts of the eliminated first entity.
    A "created" entity?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 11:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Is that going to help us understand why solid sodium chloride is not electrically conductive but molten sodium chloride is? No. It's not the simplest explanation for all that we have observed about melting. It doesn't explain why solids melt instead of turn into raccoons.
    nope. but it is the easiest solutionšŸ˜€

"It doesn't explain why solids melt instead of turn into raccoons"
    sure it does. god wants them to melt and not turn into racoons.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulƤrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 12:01

Why would anyone say that?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 12:02
    [b]which in my view means discard anything you do not need in finding a solution

Exactly.

When Laplace showed Napoleon his treatise on celestial mechanics, Napoleon asked him what place God had in his theory. Laplace replied that he had no need for that hypothesis.

http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/religion.html
    [/b]
    i know that story and i like it. it also demonstrates the use of occam's razor which i do agree with: if you don't need a concept, don't use it.

that is why i took offence in your formulation:
    Occam's razor tends to suggest the lack of gods.

it should be formulated: in following the principle of occam's razor, we do not need to use god in demonstrating any theory.

just because god isn't needed to formulate the theory of evolution or big bang doesn't mean he doesn't exist
  9. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    19 Feb '10 14:41
    i know that story and i like it. it also demonstrates the use of occam's razor which i do agree with: if you don't need a concept, don't use it.

it should be formulated: in following the principle of occam's razor, we do not need to use god in demonstra ...[text shortened]... 't needed to formulate the theory of evolution or big bang doesn't mean he doesn't exist
    Exactly why I advocate research on the Martian problem!
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    26 Feb '10 17:29
    Getting back to my original post, no one has ever proved that anything was ever caused by god, whereas one by one many things thast were thought to be caused by god have been shown otherwise.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 04:221 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Why would anyone say that?
    It's the same reasoning used by Zahlanzi above:

i add god to the table. and i end all debate. god is the ultimate answer. and is easier to say god makes the sun work rather than say x amount of presure, y amount of heat that allows for fusion to give z amount of energy.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 04:23
    nope. but it is the easiest solutionšŸ˜€

"It doesn't explain why solids melt instead of turn into raccoons"
    sure it does. god wants them to melt and not turn into racoons.
    "Explaining" something in a scientific sense means "being able to predict" what happens.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulƤrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 06:42
    It's the same reasoning used by Zahlanzi above:

Why not rather say 'the sun is an attribute of God'? That way the sun works the way we think we know it does, God doesn't have to intervene to be the occasion of its action, and God is saved for believers to believe in.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 08:172 edits
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Why not rather say 'the sun is an attribute of God'? That way the sun works the way we think we know it does, God doesn't have to intervene to be the occasion of its action, and God is saved for believers to believe in.
    Because then you raise questions such as:

Does God exist where there is no star/sun?
    Where exactly is that border between sun and not-sun?
    How can this hypothesis help us create fusion power plants?

And most cripplingly...

Is this hypothesis falsifiable?

EDIT - And by Occam's Razor, Relativistic Quantum Mechanics is a better theory than Relativistic Quantum Mechanics Plus God.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 08:24

it should be formulated: in following the principle of occam's razor, we do not need to use god in demonstra ...[text shortened]... 't needed to formulate the theory of evolution or big bang doesn't mean he doesn't exist
    I have no problem with this post. There are some semantic issues we could argue about, but I'd rather just say you're right - because you are.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree