Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 23:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    "Given his very traditional attitude, I hope FreakyKBH can realize..."

Curiosity Question: Does the impersonal indirect address derive from debater's technique or scientific forum style?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 00:116 edits
    Duchess64, Christian parents, if they are fulfilling their responsibility before God, should be helping their children to develop their own personal relationship with Jesus Christ. In Christ are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

I think some of critics of Christian parents seem to assume that God is not real and will not grow His own powerful and intimate involvement with the children of believers, with their faithful help.

This flavor of more than one criticism I have heard here sounds something like this -

"Oh how could you so not prepare them by stunting their maturity ? How could you under prepare them for life with such inadaquate "traditional" values, even "old time" values."

This kind of worry may assume that Jesus is not living, not real, not available, and that one is filling his kids heads with fairy tales, leaving them so vulnerable. No, this Jesus Christ is eager to cultivate a close and intimate relationship with the children of believers. And if the Lord blesses and they are open hearted, they THEMSELVES will learn how faithful, how dependable, how real, and how wonderful the Lord and Savior is.

I didn't see all of the discussion yet. And I am not answering for Freaky. But the Christians' raising the kids that God has entrusted to them, is not simply a matter of old traditions being passed on. It is a matter of helping them to know subjectively for themselves the living and available God.

That is the best equipping for whatever their future holds. (I didn't say only equiping. I said the best. )
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 01:48

This post is unavailable.

7. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 18:331 edit

8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 20:14
    Having spent considerably more time than I like to admit as a depraved miscreant, I am not judging anyone else, let alone Bertrand Russell.
    My repentance from that depravity and my refusal to judge does not preclude me from the ability to recognize someone else caught in the throes of its grasp.
    By even the kindest of biographical information, Russell was depraved.

I believe that Bertrand Russell taught many women students, none of
    whom, as far as I know, accused him of sexual misconduct toward them.

Russell died in 1970.
    Sexual harassment charges didn't even ping the radar until after he was dead.
    The absence of any complaints is inconsequential to the discussion.

So I believe that no woman should have been deprived of the opportunity to learn from Bertrand Russell on account of ridiculously exaggerated fears about her safety.
    Are you the kind of parent who would let their child continue work in the parish because the pedophile priest is so knowledgeable about spiritual matters?
    I'm the kind of parent that feels the fabric before I spend even a dime on a square inch.
    Whatever Russell may have had to teach anyone was negated by a life lived in debauchery.
    Period.
    Over and out.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 20:224 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Having spent considerably more time than I like to admit as a depraved miscreant, I am not judging anyone else, let alone Bertrand Russell.
    My repentance from that depravity and my refusal to judge does not preclude me from the ability to recognize someone else caught in the throes of its grasp.
    By even the kindest of biographical information, Russell wa ...[text shortened]... may have had to teach anyone was negated by a life lived in debauchery.
    Period.
    Over and out.
    Are we unable to divorce an artists work from his personal life?

Robert Burns was an outstanding poet, he fathered at the last count nine illegitimate children, one of the mothers Mary Campbell died in childbirth which haunted him, are we to refrain from enjoying his poetry because of his personal life? please explain.

Please note i really would like to agree with your condemnation of this man, but i need a reason better than 'he was depraved therefore his work is unworthy'. Does he also encourage other to engage in acts of depravity, that would do.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 20:34

11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 20:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Are we unable to divorce an artists work from his personal life?

Robert Burns was an outstanding poet, he fathered at the last count nine illegitimate children, one of the mothers Mary Campbell died in childbirth which haunted him, are we to refrain from enjoying his poetry because of his personal life? please explain.

Please note i really wou ...[text shortened]... work is unworthy'. Does he also encourage other to engage in acts of depravity, that would do.
    When the person is claiming "here is the way to live" and then either lives thusly but in disaster, or lives a life in contrast to that claim, I'd say, by all means, ignore what the charlatan has to say in these matters.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 20:56
    Read all the posts before posting such absurdity.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 20:58
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    When the person is claiming "here is the way to live" and then either lives thusly but in disaster, or lives a life in contrast to that claim, I'd say, by all means, ignore what the charlatan has to say in these matters.
    sure, why not.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 02:12
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Why I Am Not A Christian" by Bertrand Russell

[quote]"Introductory note: Russell delivered this lecture on March 6, 1927 to the National Secular Society, South London Branch, at Battersea Town Hall. Published in pamphlet form in that same year, the essay subsequently achieved new fame with Paul Edwards' edition of Russell's book, Why I Am Not ...[text shortened]... gence can create." Having rejected "the whole conception of God"... did Russell worship himself?[/b]
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Bertrand Russell's Son-in-Law: A Factual Clarification Thread 157861
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 03:17
    How many illegitimate children did Boby Fischer father? This is the first I have heard of it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree