Why I believe...

Why I believe...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
22 Aug 05
1 edit

Originally posted by dj2becker

I am currently studying at a Christian College so I didn't find your book (for obvious reasons) in our library. I did however find the book, "A case for Christ, by Lee Strobel."

Those 'obvious reasons' being that your college is not an institution of intellectual inquiry, but rather a holding cell for 18 to 22-year-olds in need of further brain washing?

That's not a college; it's a Sunday school for big kids.

PS: See if they can teach you some math before you get out.

Moves
22 Aug 05
1 edit

🙂 Thanks Tel. I hope they teach me some math. It's not one of my majors though...

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
22 Aug 05

🙂 Thanks Tel. I hope they teach me some math. It's not one of my majors though...
Do they have a math program there? Many Christian schools do not.

L

Moves
22 Aug 05
2 edits

Tell me LJ, what kind of evidence would you be willing to accept for the ressurection of Jesus Christ?

Is an empty tomb not enough? If not, what are the alternatives? Do you think his disciples stole him and went on to allow themselves to be martyred for their false claim that He rose from the dead?
Tell me LJ, what kind of evidence would you be willing to accept for the ressurection of Jesus Christ?

the convincing kind. why don't you just present the evidence you have found, and then i can give it due attention. sentence-long testimonials from anonymous 'outstanding historians' is not my idea of evidence.

Is an empty tomb not enough?

aren't you begging the question?

If not, what are the alternatives? Do you think his disciples stole him and went on to allow themselves to be martyred for their false claim that He rose from the dead?

there are many alternatives. i doubt that his disciples allowed themselves to be martyred for claims which they knew to be false, as i already discussed with halitoad. if this is the only alternative you have come up with, then your thinking is cramped.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
22 Aug 05
1 edit

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]Tell me LJ, what kind of evidence would you be willing to accept for the ressurection of Jesus Christ?

the convincing kind. why don't you just present the evidence you have found, and then i can give it due attention. sentence-long testimonials from anonymous 'outstanding historians' is not my idea of evidence.

Is an empty tomb not en ...[text shortened]... alitosis. if this is the only alternative you have come up with, then your thinking is cramped.
already discussed with halitosis (sic)

[/b]I demand an apology!😛

L

Moves
22 Aug 05

Originally posted by Halitose
[b]already discussed with halitosis (sic)

[/b]I demand an apology!😛[/b]
sorry. i fixed it...sort of. 😀

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
22 Aug 05

sorry. i fixed it...sort of. 😀
Nice... 😏 Anything but the "H" word. Hiya LJ. Its been a while since we've butted heads.

Moves
22 Aug 05

Originally posted by telerion
They sure do.

L

Moves
22 Aug 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Nice... 😏 Anything but the "H" word. Hiya LJ. Its been a while since we've butted heads.
well, i do sorta miss being a butthead, Haliturd.

do you have any evidence for the resurrection?

Moves
22 Aug 05
1 edit

Is an empty tomb not en halitoad. if this is the only alternative you have come up with, then your thinking is cramped.
So if you don't believe what 'some historians' say, then what will make you believe anything that I say?

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
22 Aug 05

They sure do.
Glad to hear it. What's your major? Maybe economics or politics?

Actually some Christian schools I've been to don't have those majors.

For obvious reasons I suppose.

Moves
22 Aug 05

Glad to hear it. What's your major? Maybe economics or politics?

Actually some Christian schools I've been to don't have those majors.

For obvious reasons I suppose.
I have two: Physical Sceince (includes Physics and Cemistry) and English. Too bad my English will have to improve... (being an Afrkaaner and all).

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
22 Aug 05
1 edit

well, i do sorta miss being a butthead, Haliturd.

Haliturd! ROTFLMAO!! Darn. I think you've hit the pinnacle there. I've racked my brain, but I can't get one to better that. 10/10.

Here's my turd marble. 😏 Just think about it, if I got a snapshot of it, I doubt that I would have got many convinced. Not with all the image processing technology at my disposal. All I can do is present my case. If its not good enough its not good enough. I can make a compelling case about the martyrdom of the disciples, who the Bible claims saw the risen Christ, but all you have to do is refute the authenticity of the gospels, which is not hard to do. How do you prove 2000 years from now, that 9/11 happened? All you have is some doctored video footage that any kid could have made on his super-duper-pc and hearsay from witnesses. Okay, I admit the disciples didn't have any video footage of it, not that they had any there, but honestly, I don't know what difference it would have made. It's just something you believe in or not.

L

Moves
22 Aug 05

So if you don't believe what 'some historians' say, then what will make you believe anything that I say?
i am not sure what you are trying to ask. i am willing to believe substantive arguments that seem sound, regardless of who posits them.

the problem with those testimonials from the 'outstanding historians' is that they are literally like one sentence long, and they have no substance to them. they are very similar to infomercial testimonials. consider the following one from the 'textual critic':

“Taking all the evidence together, it is not too much to say that there is no historic incident better or more variously supported than the resurrection of Christ. Nothing but the antecedent assumption that it must be false could have suggested the idea of deficiency in the proof of it.'

there is no substance to this testimonial. am i supposed to take her word for it? i am not interested in what the historians say, but i would be interested in whatever evidence they think they have for their assertions; however, your web page does not venture into those waters.

C

Earth Prime

Moves
22 Aug 05

You sure you aren't thinking of Bible Colleges? All the Christian schools I looked at before graduating from High School had just as much as I'd expect from a state university.