1. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 09:09
    Theists often claim that the existence of evil is a necessary result of free will. ie if you are to be given two choices then one necessarily is the 'wrong' choice.
    So why did God give us free will if he knew that it would introduce evil?

If free will necessitates the existence of evil, then is there no free will in heaven or will there be evil in heaven?
  2. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 15:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Theists often claim that the existence of evil is a necessary result of free will. ie if you are to be given two choices then one necessarily is the 'wrong' choice.

If free will necessitates the existence of evil, then is there no free will in heaven or will there be evil in heaven?
    Why should one of the two choices necessarily wrong?

Why they are only two choices?

I can have different choices and they are all good,

Free will is not necessarily to do good or bad. It could be to do good, or a better good.

You have the choice to give 10$ for charity or to give 100$. Both are good, but you choose one by your free will.

So we are given free will to be humans.

That doesn't mean we can choose evil.

If you are not given a free will you will be an Angle, and you will not be human.
  3. Joined
    03 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 18:07
    i keep on saying on here that there is no such thing as evil; its our perspective tht makes something good or evil; for example, a woman is raped and becomes pregnant - an evil act..? what happens then if the woman gives birth to a child who grows up and finds a cure for cancer and so saves millions... does that imply good can come from evil, of course it doesnt, good doesnt come even come from good, one act leads to another... its as simple as that, life just flows... the wheel turns, it's the very breath of god that is life...
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 18:11

Free will is essential because we have to want to be in heaven , we have to want to love God. If God doesn't give us free will then heaven would be populated by a bunch of mindless robots who were pre-determined to love God. We would also have no idea of the difference between good and evil , just like cats (to the best of my knowledge) don't have a moral sense like we do.

If you wife loves because she chooses to then that is completely different from if your cat loves you because it is pre programmed to by an instinct to get food from you (cupboard love). Free will makes us alive and sentient . God does not want to force us to be there , any more than you would not want to force your children to love you. Anyway , love don't work that way , as many people know.
  5. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 20:13
    But what exactly constitutes "free will"?
    I mean, is any choice we ever make truely free?
    I think I would have to go with "freedoms just another word for nothing left to loose". I mean, as long as we care about the outcome of a choice, then it can never really be a free choice, can it?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 22:48

I thnk you will find that the forces of evil are the ones that attempt to limit or restrict your free will. The forces of evil are often controling and manipulative and attempt to take you hostage. Ever wonder why?
  7. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 23:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    I thnk you will find that the forces of evil are the ones that attempt to limit or restrict your free will. The forces of evil are often controling and manipulative and attempt to take you hostage. Ever wonder why?
    What are these "forces of evil"?
    Who gets to define what "evil" is?
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 00:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes, every time I read the biblical prohibitions against adultery, homosexuality, pride, taking the lord's name in vain, working on the sabbath, etc. etc. I wonder that.
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 17:10

there is no free will, demenstrate to me (the forum) how anyone has free will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 18:03
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    there is no free will, demenstrate to me (the forum) how anyone has free will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Demonstrate how anyone cannot have free will
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 19:02

that is the most stupid thing ive heard in a long time. would you rather us be mindless robots in God's control? also think of how lonely God would be with a lot of A.I.s roaming around in heaven.
  12. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 19:04
    Originally posted by whiterose

Who gets to define what "evil" is?
    my first guess would be God.
  13. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 19:31
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    I thought about replying to your post. Then decided not to. Then, I thought, "Why not?" Then I thought, "Why bother?"

Finally, I thought of a reason to post. So I did.

Pretty free, eh?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree