1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 20:571 edit
    ...but not animals, spiritually speaking?

This is not a rhetorical question.

Obviously this question is directed toward any who think it is not OK to eat animals.

Some animals are barely distinguishable from some plants. It there a distinction we should look for? Someone said not to eat anything that has a face. That seems self-centered. I'm not being facetious, and am not mocking. Do not plants exhibit behaviors of self-preservation? What justifies us to prioritize our self-preservation above theirs? I have done much to help a Bonsai-ed Japanese maple survive, even an earthquake that knocked it off a railing and broke its pot.

I am sincere in this question, because I don't think the spiritual distinction between eating animals and plants has been explored. Maybe it can be easily answered.

Please do not appeal to scriptural or other authority, or warnings of punishment. They don't work for me.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 21:022 edits
    Originally posted by JS357

Obviously this question is directed toward any who think it is not OK to eat animals.

Some animals are barely distinguishable from some plants. It there a distinction we should look for? Someone said not to eat anything that has a face. That seems self-centered. I'm not being t appeal to scriptural or other authority, or warnings of punishment. They don't work for me.
    Many plants(fruits) depend on being eaten as part of their self-preservation.
    The real crime is using toilets instead of squatting and plopping it out in some soil!

Also, I would be loathe, spiritually, to kill any plant that does not plan on being eaten. I don't chop down trees and don't use weed killing chemicals in my yard.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 21:02

Some animals are barely distinguishable from some plants. It there a distinction we should look for? Someone said not to eat anything that has a face. That seems self-centered. I'm not being ...[text shortened]... t appeal to scriptural or other authority, or warnings of punishment. They don't work for me.
    Please do not appeal to scriptural or other authority, or warnings of punishment. They don't work for me.

why should it be subject to what merely works for you? If you want to know what
    others think why are you acting like a prism?
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 21:031 edit

Some animals are barely distinguishable from some plants. It there a distinction we should look for? Someone said not to eat anything that has a face. That seems self-centered. I'm not being t appeal to scriptural or other authority, or warnings of punishment. They don't work for me.
    An animal is a sentient being.

It feels pain and become fearful.

It bleeds and cares for its young.

If you have to ask this question then -------! and fool.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 21:051 edit
    I think one has to be part of nature before one can empathise with nature.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 21:12
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I think one has to be part of nature before one can empathise with nature.
    even a single tree is a community. Destroy the tree and you destroy a community.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 21:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

why should it be subject to what merely works for you? If you want to know what
    others think why are you acting like a prism?
    I'm just disclosing what is the case. You don't have to honor the request.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 21:41
    I'm just disclosing what is the case. You don't have to honor the request.
    sure thing, i suppose in retrospect you are correct in setting up parameters in order to
    guide the conversation in a way that you shall find fulfilling. I apologise for my
    cumbersome approach.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 21:45
    Originally posted by Dasa
    An animal is a sentient being.

It feels pain and become fearful.

It bleeds and cares for its young.

If you have to ask this question then -------! and fool.
    OK so that's your answer. It is a form of empathy -- based on similarities? not imputed to plants. No need for "fool." I would not impute such things to my Japanese maple, yet I would be sad if my replanting of it didn't work out.

I thought another answer would be that we can harvest foods from plants without killing the plants. Similarly to milk? (eggs? fertilized eggs?) from animals. But apparently you would condone the eating of a plant even when eating that plant terminates its life, such as a whole mushroom (is a mushroom a plant?). Also, if we could breed an animal that wasn't sentient, didn't feel pain, become fearful, or care for its young, according to you it would be OK to eat. So I guess eggs, roe, etc. are OK to eat if harvested properly.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 22:09
    sure thing, i suppose in retrospect you are correct in setting up parameters in order to
    guide the conversation in a way that you shall find fulfilling. I apologise for my
    cumbersome approach.
    No sweat. I should have left that bit out.
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:341 edit

it's not okay to kill plants or animals, but until we figure out how to get energy by photosynthesis, we're going to keep doing what needs to be done to survive, which includes everything from murdering plants and animals to destroying entire communities of living things.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 06:28
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Many plants(fruits) depend on being eaten as part of their self-preservation.
    The real crime is using toilets instead of squatting and plopping it out in some soil!

Also, I would be loathe, spiritually, to kill any plant that does not plan on being eaten. I don't chop down trees and don't use weed killing chemicals in my yard.
    Are you one of those "tree huggers".
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 06:30
    even a single tree is a community. Destroy the tree and you destroy a community.
    Another tree hugger?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 07:57

Some animals are barely distinguishable from some plants. It there a distinction we should look for? Someone said not to eat anything that has a face. That seems self-centered. I'm not being ...[text shortened]... t appeal to scriptural or other authority, or warnings of punishment. They don't work for me.
    I only know of one spiritual vegetarian in this forum, and most people don't care what he thinks anyway. Do you think there are many more - have I missed that?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 08:24
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Another tree hugger?
    id rather hugg a tree than you!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree