Why religion is dumb - Part 5

Why religion is dumb - Part 5

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CI

Brisbane

Moves
09 May 06

Well said Howardgee. I will also add that all the religion create forms of superstition they are supposed to have overcome. For exemple, I was at a festival this week end and the Sikh person was explaining how the search for the truth was also to get rid of superstition, then he went on explaining Sikh follwoers have to wear a turban to give them inner strength. The issue with most religion followers do not even see their own inconsistencies.

As to knigth meister about Christ agreeing with these sentiments and provoke the Jewish establishment. In order to create any religion, some type of martyrdom is necessary. Anyone who goes against the establishment will have followers and then the disappearance after 3 days did the final trick to start a new religion. The story is now so full of holes that even for anyone to try defend it has become an hopeless task.

The fact that there is some good in human nature is more a question of survival in the same way that a colony of ants have to cooperate. However, like ants, anyone outside that colony becomes someone to destroy. And if you do not believe me, just have a look at the world around you.

h

Cosmos

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by Celsius I
Well said Howardgee. I will also add that all the religion create forms of superstition they are supposed to have overcome. For exemple, I was at a festival this week end and the Sikh person was explaining how the search for the truth was also to get rid of superstition, then he went on explaining Sikh follwoers have to wear a turban to give them inner s ...[text shortened]... mes someone to destroy. And if you do not believe me, just have a look at the world around you.
Thanks, mate.

The Sikh story is a classic example of the inherent contradictions of the religious...they just can't see it can they?
Still, I suppose if they had half a brain they would not be religious in the first place. (-:

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by howardgee
Thanks, mate.

The Sikh story is a classic example of the inherent contradictions of the religious...they just can't see it can they?
Still, I suppose if they had half a brain they would not be religious in the first place. (-:
And which half did you get, out of curiosity?

h

Cosmos

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
And which half did you get, out of curiosity?
both halves allocated for you.

CI

Brisbane

Moves
11 May 06

I suppose if the brain has been able to construct abtractions such as mathematics, it can also create abstractions called God(s). The imagination has no limits. But the problem is when people believe that their imagination is the reality. At least, a part of the mathematical imagination happens to provide the means to get real things and find out more about our mathematical universe. I believe Paul Davis, a philosopher here in Australia (Yes, we have one) can only explain our mathematical skills only because they are integral part of our universe or rather because our brain is the product of the universe, it can only think in terms which are compatible with it. Even if to get there takes a long time. Almost like becoming a chess master.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
11 May 06

Originally posted by Celsius I
I suppose if the brain has been able to construct abtractions such as mathematics, it can also create abstractions called God(s). The imagination has no limits. But the problem is when people believe that their imagination is the reality. At least, a part of the mathematical imagination happens to provide the means to get real things and find out more ab ...[text shortened]... mpatible with it. Even if to get there takes a long time. Almost like becoming a chess master.
So, by inferrence, Mr. Davis holds the ontologoical proof of God, it would appear.