Why religion is dumb - reason 1.

Why religion is dumb - reason 1.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
21 Sep 05
1 edit

Will ppl ever believe in Elvis over a 1000 years from now? Yes they will! Cause there is proof.

Will some people 1000 years from now believe that Elvis is still alive? Yes, they will. Cause some people are really stupid.

I bet my life on this, and say that even if Jesus was on earth right now, at this very moment, doing what He did a 1000 years ago, U STILL WILL NOT BELIEVE.

What was Jesus doing 1000 years ago? Really I'd like to know.

N

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by rwingett
He is unjustified in doing so. There is nothing to indicate that the proposition is true. Therefore, while it's remote possibility must be granted, belief itself must be withheld. Atheism should be the default position from which one starts, and belief given out in proportion to the available evidence. The statement "I don't know if god exists" should logically translate into "therefore, I cannot believe in god."
this is one example of christians not to believe. You r forcing your believes on our christians now, just like i said in my previous comment! *Shaking my head, what a joke!

N

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by telerion
[b]
Will ppl ever believe in Elvis over a 1000 years from now? Yes they will! Cause there is proof.

Will some people 1000 years from now believe that Elvis is still alive? Yes, they will. Cause some people are really stupid.

I bet my life on this, and say that even if Jesus was on earth right now, at this very moment, doing what He did a 100 ...[text shortened]... U STILL WILL NOT BELIEVE.

What was Jesus doing 1000 years ago? Really I'd like to know.[/b]
What is your postal address, I will gladly post you a Bible sothat you could read it?

Now dont be a chicken! This is for real!

L

Moves
21 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Nicolaas
this is one example of christians not to believe. You r forcing your believes on our christians now, just like i said in my previous comment! *Shaking my head, what a joke!
your reading comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired. rwingett is forcing beliefs on you??? please....

if you re-read his post, you will see that rwingett is not endorsing any postive beliefs, and he is certainly not "forcing" any positive beliefs on you; rather he is advocating the avoidance of certain beliefs on the grounds of rational and epistemic justification (or the lack thereof depending on how you look at it).

if there's one person around here who is "forcing" beliefs on others, it is not the weak atheist.

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by howardgee
If a person went around claiming that a giant cockroach created the universe and demanding that we all repent to the giant cockroach or else burn for all eternity in hell, then we would doubt his sanity.

Why should it be any different when people make the same claim, substituting a human being for the cockroach?
One thing we know for sure: Life cannot arise from non-life without intelligent intervention.

If you believe that a giant cockroach created life, people will doubt your sanity.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by dj2becker

If you believe that a giant cockroach created life, people will doubt your sanity.
Woe betide the fool who seeks to deny the awesome intelligence of the mighty cockroach, whose omniscience extends to awarding itself the ability to survive any terrestrial holocaust short of the sun going supernova. Do you not know that this globe is but the shell of an immense bug, on whose guts we do sustain ourselves?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Woe betide the fool who seeks to deny the awesome intelligence of the mighty cockroach, whose omniscience extends to awarding itself the ability to survive any terrestrial holocaust short of the sun going supernova. Do you not know that this globe is but the shell of an immense bug, on whose guts we do sustain ourselves?
OD'd on Men in Black?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by Halitose
OD'd on Men in Black?
That's one of the must-see films I've never seen. I was channeling Kafka's muse.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
21 Sep 05

Worshipping a cockroach isn't *inherently* stupid. Plenty of religions have worshipped particular animals, and regarded them as superior. Egyptians and cats, Hindus and cows are just two examples.

The Bible teaches that man (and woman) was made in God's image. That doesn't necessarily mean PHYSICAL image to me. It equally could mean other characteristics, such as reasoning capacity and emotions and so on.

The whole flowing white beard thing is just a convenient picture. Although personally I kind of hope God doesn't in fact look like a giant cockroach...

Seriously, there are passages in the Bible that suggest God can have very unhuman-like visible form. Isaiah and Ezekiel, I think. Wheels and eyes and things.

If cockroaches have sinned and need salvation, I see no reason why God couldn't send a cockroach to save them. I don't see a necessary conflict between sending each species its own saviour.

I've actually read a rather intelligent sci-fi short story that touches on what would happen if alien life was discovered - in the story the church concluded that Jesus was sent to save human beings, and it couldn't be assumed that other species NEEDED saving. The temptation and fall is quite clearly a human story.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by Omnislash
Beating this dead horse again? 😉
I'm a one trick pony.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by orfeo
I've actually read a rather intelligent sci-fi short story that touches on what would happen if alien life was discovered - in the story the church concluded that Jesus was sent to save human beings, and it couldn't be assumed that other species NEEDED saving. The temptation and fall is quite clearly a human story.
Title & author please...

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by Nicolaas
Forcing my beliefs on christians? What, exactly, would those beliefs be? On the contrary, all I'm doing is pointing out that christian beliefs are unjustified based on the available evidence. Someone who claims to "know" that there is a god is simply deluding himself. If you want an example of someone who is forcing their beliefs on someone else, let's take a quote from your previous post. You said:

At the end of the day, Christians believe in capturing souls for Jesus, and we want all to live for Jesus.

Well, it sounds to me as though it is you who is determined to force your misguided beliefs down everyone else's throat. Fortunately, many people are smart enough not to fall for that same old medieval song and dance anymore.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
21 Sep 05

Stating religion is dumb is dumb.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
21 Sep 05

'

Stating ideology is dumb is dumb.

Stating political parties are dumb is dumb.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

Stating religion is dumb is dumb.
How very RatX of you.