1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 12:171 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]How would priests know about sex, and issues related to it if they don't have sexual lives themselves?

Hopefully most priests will not know about the ins and outs of sex. But they do not need that knowledge in order to make a moral judgement about contraception or abortion. Sex does not exactly give anyone a unique qualification in ethics.[/b]
    The problem is that the Catholic church has once again overstepped the sacred text and sought to establish its own criteria with regard to the sexuality of its priesthood. They have taken a perfectly natural, enjoyable experience and a gift from God and turned it into contraband! Is it any wonder that the deviants have deviated?

However, the inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teachings of demons, by the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, marked in their conscience as with a branding iron forbidding to marry - 1 timothy 4:1-3
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 14:08
    Hopefully most priests will not know about the ins and outs of sex. But they do not need that knowledge in order to make a moral judgement about contraception or abortion. Sex does not exactly give anyone a unique qualification in ethics.
    I don't know what the statistics on the matter are, but I was under the impression that not all priests join the priesthood at a young age and that there is nothing wrong with a person who is sexually active giving it up and joining the priesthood. (In the Catholic Church).
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 17:561 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't know what the statistics on the matter are, but I was under the impression that not all priests join the priesthood at a young age and that there is nothing wrong with a person who is sexually active giving it up and joining the priesthood. (In the Catholic Church).
    Well, in the Catholic Church, there is something wrong about a man being sexually active outside of marriage. But it is true that some widowed men have become priests. There are also a number of Eastern Catholic priests who are married. Married Lutheran and Anglican pastors who convert to Catholicism may also seek ordination. As well as that, there are many married deacons, especially in America. So it is wrong to say that all priests are ignorant of sex. There is a large portion of clerics who are married or have been married.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 17:592 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The problem is that the Catholic church has once again overstepped the sacred text and sought to establish its own criteria with regard to the sexuality of its priesthood. They have taken a perfectly natural, enjoyable experience and a gift from God and turned it into contraband! Is it any wonder that the deviants have deviated?

However, the ins ...[text shortened]... ked in their conscience as with a branding iron [b]forbidding to marry
    - 1 timothy 4:1-3[/b][/b]
    [b]The problem is that the Catholic church has once again overstepped the sacred text and sought to establish its own criteria with regard to the sexuality of its priesthood. They have taken a perfectly natural, enjoyable experience and a gift from God and turned it into contraband! [/b]

The Church has not forbidden marriage. A priest may leave orders and get married. The choice is always there. It is just generally a condition that a priest not be married. At no time has the Catholic Church made sex or marriage a contraband.
  5. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 18:08
    [b][b]The problem is that the Catholic church has once again overstepped the sacred text and sought to establish its own criteria with regard to the sexuality of its priesthood. They have taken a perfectly natural, enjoyable experience and a gift from God and turned it into contraband! [/b]

The Church has not forbidden marriage. A priest may leave o ...[text shortened]... t a priest not be married. At no time has the Catholic Church made sex or marriage a contraband.[/b]
    It's all a misunderstanding. The original Aramaic on which the church's rules were based was mistranslated.

The word is "celebrate."
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 18:13
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    It's all a misunderstanding. The original Aramaic on which the church's rules were based was mistranslated.

The word is "celebrate."
    No. The original word is 'caelebs', meaning 'not married', and it is Latin.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 18:22
    [b][b]The problem is that the Catholic church has once again overstepped the sacred text and sought to establish its own criteria with regard to the sexuality of its priesthood. They have taken a perfectly natural, enjoyable experience and a gift from God and turned it into contraband! [/b]

The Church has not forbidden marriage. A priest may leave o ...[text shortened]... t a priest not be married. At no time has the Catholic Church made sex or marriage a contraband.[/b]
    is it not forbidden for a priest while in office to refrain from marriage even though there is no direct biblical tenet for this (you cannot use the reference with regard to Paul stating that a person should remain single for the Lord, for this is simply a piece of advice, not a command), if i am mistaken then i apologize, but if not......
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 18:35
    is it not forbidden for a priest while in office to refrain from marriage even though there is no direct biblical tenet for this (you cannot use the reference with regard to Paul stating that a person should remain single for the Lord, for this is simply a piece of advice, not a command), if i am mistaken then i apologize, but if not......
    As I said before, there are married priests actively working in parishes and performing all the regular pastoral work of a celibate priest, though they will generally be consigned to a single parish and not be moved. Typically, however, the Catholic priesthood is understood as a missionary vocation, like St. Paul's, to proclaim the Gospel wherever his bishops sends him. And as it is a vocation, it is not the Church imposing celibacy, but God calling them to celibacy.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 18:441 edit
    Well, in the Catholic Church, there is something wrong about a man being sexually active outside of marriage.
    Is a life free from sin a prerequisite for the priesthood? Is growing up in a good catholic family a prerequisite? If a single man at the age of 25 to 30 decides to enter the priesthood, I would be rather worried if he had not had sex before. In fact it might be a good reason to consider rejecting his application as it is quite likely he is entering the priesthood for the wrong reasons.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 18:50
    Is a life free from sin a prerequisite for the priesthood? Is growing up in a good catholic family a prerequisite? If a single man at the age of 25 to 30 decides to enter the priesthood, I would be rather worried if he had not had sex before. In fact it might be a good reason to consider rejecting his application as it is quite likely he is entering the priesthood for the wrong reasons.
    Well, it would be contradictory for the Catholic Church to teach young people to abstain from sex until marriage and then reject candidates for the priesthood merely because they had not had sex. And anyway, celibacy does not equal poor social skills.

A life free from sin is not a prerequite for the priesthood, nor a good Catholic family.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 23:34
    As I said before, there are married priests actively working in parishes and performing all the regular pastoral work of a celibate priest, though they will generally be consigned to a single parish and not be moved. Typically, however, the Catholic priesthood is understood as a missionary vocation, like St. Paul's, to proclaim the Gospel wherever hi ...[text shortened]... as it is a vocation, it is not the Church imposing celibacy, but God calling them to celibacy.
    why would God impose celibacy upon then when he did not impose it upon the founder of the catholic church Peter, it makes no sense, anyhow, thanks for the info, i did not know that priests were allowed to marry, just shows you how much my father taught me about his religion.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 00:53
    why would God impose celibacy upon then when he did not impose it upon the founder of the catholic church Peter, it makes no sense, anyhow, thanks for the info, i did not know that priests were allowed to marry, just shows you how much my father taught me about his religion.
    St. Peter, however, was not a missionary; St. Paul was. He travelled with Barnabas throughout Asia Minor according to Scripture. I think that that is the scriptural example of the Roman priesthood.

It is true that most married Catholic men cannot become priests. For Western Catholics, it is impossible at the current time unless they are converts from Anglicanism or Lutheranism or if they change to an Eastern church.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 02:51
    Top reasons for the demise of Catholic church

1. No one can understand a darn latin word they are saying, problaby because it is a dead language. Not a smart move.
    2. Pope John Paul recently died. Everyone thoght that was it.
    3. They don't just let members of NAMBLA confess, they seem to want to ordain them as well
    4. Effect of RHP spirituality forum
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 05:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    Top reasons for the demise of Catholic church
    Does anyone have any statistics showing that the Catholic Church is in fact getting smaller? As I mentioned before it is still the largest Church in Zambia and simply due to population growth it is probably growing in size.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Feb '09 10:041 edit
    Does anyone have any statistics showing that the Catholic Church is in fact getting smaller? As I mentioned before it is still the largest Church in Zambia and simply due to population growth it is probably growing in size.
    The total number of Catholics has increased, but I think that it has decreased in percentage terms.

If I had to compared with the other main Christian denominations, I think it is still losing less than them because of their growth in Asia.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree