Why Worship?

Why Worship?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
08 Jul 11

By which I mean, what does god want with our worship? What does he get out of the deal?

rc

Moves
08 Jul 11

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
By which I mean, what does god want with our worship? What does he get out of the deal?
reconciliation?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 Jul 11

Maybe he's lonely?!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jul 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
reconciliation?
Reconciliation implies this god did not know what was going to happen. Since your god is omniscient, it knows from the day it created the universe what happened to every atom, every neutron, every neutrino, every photon, every proton, every molecule, every form of life, every planet, every star, every galaxy, every galaxy cluster, it knows how all that started, how it all ends so it knows exactly who is going to your heaven, who is destined for hell.

Reconcile means you put together the pieces after the fact. Your god is supposed to know ALL the pieces, where every player is going to go, even at the beginning of the universes, it knows where all the aliens are, which ones are going to its heaven, which ones are going to its hell.

So reconciliation would be the last thing on your omniscient god's mind. If indeed it has a mind.

Do you think your god has a mind?

Does it have thoughts?

If so, how long does a god thought take to start, ruminate, and finish said thought?

Moves
08 Jul 11

I don't know about lower case gods but the upper case one as I was taught about was said to be eternally complete (that is, perfect) and unchanging and so doesn't "get" anything out of any temporal human event. So if there is any getting, it's by the worshipers. The closest analogy I can think of is how I get something out of thinking about the good things my now-deceased parents did in their lives, and honoring them for it, not just mentally or in words, but in how much I can live up to their highest ideals, which gives me a positive attitude. I don't do it to "get" that, but it's an outcome.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Jul 11

When you observe a beauty in any of its various forms, do you wish to share it with others, or are you disinclined to break off even a small piece of it and allow anyone else to enjoy it?

God wants us to worship Him because He is worthy of worship. God wants us to tell the truth about truth, wants us to be in constant contact with reality, because outside of truth--- outside of reality--- there is nothing but hell.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
08 Jul 11

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
When you observe a beauty in any of its various forms, do you wish to share it with others, or are you disinclined to break off even a small piece of it and allow anyone else to enjoy it?

God wants us to worship Him because He is worthy of worship. God wants us to tell the truth about truth, wants us to be in constant contact with reality, because outside of truth--- outside of reality--- there is nothing but hell.
Can someone who sends bears to maul 42 children be worthy of worship?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Jul 11

Originally posted by rwingett
Can someone who sends bears to maul 42 children be worthy of worship?
Yes.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
09 Jul 11

There are certain types of yogic masters that use worship or surrender to the Enlightened One in order to transform the devotee into what the Enlighened One is. Becoming one with the perfection that is always there by surrendering the ego. The Master does not need anything. He is the conduit for transformation.

Planet Rain

Moves
09 Jul 11

God gets a boner from power. Hence the "Milky Way".

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
09 Jul 11

You cannot cut a deal with God because God is not a day trader on the Street. Worship of God means doing your work as if you are doing it for God. Living your life as if you are living it for God. But there is no compulsion from God. You are free to do/think/live as you like. We are sparks rising from the Fire and we will go back into it when we have been extinguished. We are a part and parcel of God. God is not a tyrant sitting on a throne asking us to kowtow.

Planet Rain

Moves
09 Jul 11

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
You cannot cut a deal with God because God is not a day trader on the Street. Worship of God means doing your work as if you are doing it for God. Living your life as if you are living it for God. But there is no compulsion from God. You are free to do/think/live as you like. We are sparks rising from the Fire and we will go back into it when we have been ...[text shortened]... d. We are a part and parcel of God. God is not a tyrant sitting on a throne asking us to kowtow.
Depends, really, on what kind of "god" we're discussing. Quite a few deities in the pantheon of man's crazed imagination have some rather harsh penalties for not living life in a strictly prescribed fashion. There's hell, or oblivion, or an eternity of "Brady Bunch" re-runs...you name it.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
09 Jul 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Soothfast
Depends, really, on what kind of "god" we're discussing. Quite a few deities in the pantheon of man's crazed imagination have some rather harsh penalties for not living life in a strictly prescribed fashion. There's hell, or oblivion, or an eternity of "Brady Bunch" re-runs...you name it.
Whatever I have written above is as per 'Veda's and ' Upanishad 's. This is the Hindu spiritualism. The Hindu Spiritual thought frankly admits that God cannot be correctly described by us nor can God be conceived totally. God's presence is to be experienced. I therefore cannot comment on other connotations of God.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
09 Jul 11

Originally posted by FreakyKBH

Your version of god can presumably see through my eyes and feel what I am feeling anyway, and I'm delighted if he gets pleasure from my emotional state at any time. I still don't see why he would want me to drop to my knees and 'praise' god or jesus or the holy spirit etc.

Illinois

Moves
09 Jul 11

Your version of god can presumably see through my eyes and feel what I am feeling anyway, and I'm delighted if he gets pleasure from my emotional state at any time. I still don't see why he would want me to drop to my knees and 'praise' god or jesus or the holy spirit etc.
You seemed to have ignored JS357's post. He explained it admirably, and he's not even a believer. This isn't rocket science.