1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 01:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You're irrational; you worship something and therefore are projecting your irrational beliefs onto others. I don't "worship" anything (besides Selma Hayek), but I do see that the scientific method is a far more reasonable way to acquire reliable knowledge than taking as undisputably true a book written by people who were primitive, semisavage ...[text shortened]... but your absurd distortion of actual science in order to "prove" the unprovable is ridiculous.
    "All I am doing is to ask people to face the facts--to understand the questions which Christianity claims to answer. And they are terrifying facts. I wish it was possible to say something more agreeable. But I must say what I think true. Of course, I quite agree that the Christian religion is, in the long run, a thing of unspeakable comfort. But it does not begin in comfort; it begins in the dismay I have been describing, and it is no use at all trying to go on to that comfort without first going through that dismay. In religion, as in war and everything else, comfort is the one thing you cannot get by looking for it. If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end:if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth--only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin with and, in the end, despair."

- C.S. Lewis
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 02:24
    Originally posted by Darfius
    "All I am doing is to ask people to face the facts--to understand the questions which Christianity claims to answer. And they are terrifying facts. I wish it was possible to say something more agreeable. But I must say what I think true. Of course, I quite agree that the Christian religion is, in the long run, a thing of unspeakable comfort. But it does not ...[text shortened]... nly soft soap and wishful thinking to begin with and, in the end, despair."

- C.S. Lewis
    I would be willing to wager that you would get a much more receptive response if you were to engage in some relationships where you were able to share the "dismay" from your own life that C.S Lewis talked about. Just a suggestion.
  3. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 02:27
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I would be willing to wager that you would get a much more receptive response if you were to engage in some relationships where you were able to share the "dismay" from your own life that C.S Lewis talked about. Just a suggestion.
    What?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 02:30
    What?
    Surely the sentence I wrote is easier to understand that the paragraph you posted by C. S. Lewis.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 02:33
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Did you ever get the sense you're trying to punch a lump out of a pillow and another one keeps popping up?
    Some where the psuedo-scientist have read that science has no way of knowing what happened before the big bang. and just like in the totally bogus missing-link case : they think this proves there beliefs, which it don't, an ...[text shortened]... ng everything back to the singularity it started from. Making the universe cyclical

You know, I read a bit about this in New Scientist a few weeks back. Interesting. Unfortunately, while I could likely understand the math behind the models, I don't know the physics so it would be painful to read a journal article.

I have no desire to beat a lumpy pillow. I just hope Col is not designing any of the bridges I drive across. I don't put much stock in "faith-based" engineering.

6. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 02:38
    "All I am doing is to ask people to face the facts--to understand the questions which Christianity claims to answer. And they are terrifying facts. I wish it was possible to say something more agreeable. But I must say what I think true. Of course, I quite agree that the Christian religion is, in the long run, a thing of unspeakable comfort. But it does not ...[text shortened]... nly soft soap and wishful thinking to begin with and, in the end, despair."

- C.S. Lewis
    I like this quote; C.S. Lewis was a very intelligent man and his writing can be an inspiration for both the religious and the secular, both the spiritual and the atheist.

I think I will start a thread for discussing these "questions that Christianity claims to answer." It should be fun. Hopefully we will all learn something new. See y'all there!

... --- ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree