"Why?"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jun 13
1 edit

Read the Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkien. He has maps of Middle Earth in the books and everything. It has so much detail it will make your eyes bleed.

lol. I was wondering when someone was going to suggest that ?
A little closer. Lot's of map detail as I recall.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Jun 13

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Read the Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkien. He has maps of Middle Earth in the books and everything. It has so much detail it will make your eyes bleed.
But were are these places today. They are only in the imagination. The Holy Bible refers to real places and locations that can be visited today.

The Instructor

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jun 13
5 edits

Okay. Lord of the Rings has lots of geographic detail as a fairy tale.

I have another challenge. In the New Testament the following names of people have been confirmed OUTSIDE of the New Testament to have existed. (other than Jesus of Nazareth)

Can you think of a fairy tale which would have as much outside attestation of the historicity this many characters ?

Agrippa I-----Acts 12:1-24-----confirmed by Philo, Josephus
Agrippa II-----Acts 25:13-26,32-----confirmed by coins, Josephus
Ananias-----Acts 23:2;24:1-----confirmed by Josephus
Annas-----Luke 3:2; John 18:13,24-----conformed by Josephus
Arestas -----2 Cor. 11:32-----confirmed by Josephus
Bernice (wife of Agrippa II)-----Acts 23:13-----confirmed by Josephus
Caesar Augustus-----Acts 23:13-----confirmed by Josephus
Caiphas-----several citations-----confirmed by ossuary, Josephus
Claudius-----Acts 11:28;18:2-----confirmed by Josephus
Drusilla (wife of Felix) ----- Acts 24:24-----confirmed by Josephus
Egyptian false prophet-----Acts 21:38-----confirmed by Josephus
Erastus----- Acts 19:22 ----- confirmed by inscription
Felix ----- Acts 23:24-25:14----confirmed by Tacitus, Josephus
Gallio----- Acts 18:12-17 ----- confirmed by inscription
Gameliel ----- Acts 5:34;22:3 ----- confirmed by Josephus
Herod Antipas ----- Matt. 14:1-12; Mark 6:14-29 ---confirmed by Josephus
Herod Archelaus -----Matt. 2:22 ----- confirmed by Josephus
Herod the Great ---Matt. 2:1-19; Luke 1:5--confirmed by Tacitus, Josephus
Herod Philip I-----Matt. 14:3;Mark 6:17-----confirmed by Josephus
Herod Philip II-----Luke 3:1-----confirmed by Josephus
Herodias-----Matt. 14:3;Mark 6:17-----confirmed by Josephus
Herodias's daughter Solome---Matt.14:1-12-----confirmed by Josephus
James---- serveral citations-----confirmed by Josephus
John the Baptist-----several citations-----confirmed by Josephus
Judas the Galilean-----Acts 5:27----confirmed by Josephus
Lysanias ----- Luke 3:1----confirmed by inscription, Josephus
Pilate----several citations---confirmed by inscriptions,coins,Josephus, Philo,Tacitus
Quirinius----Luke 3:1----confirmed by Josephus
Porcius Festas ----- Acts 24:27-26:32 ---- confirmed by Josephus
Sergius Paulus----- Acts13:6-12 ----- confirmed by inscription
Tiberius Ceasar---Luke 3:1 ----confirmed by Tacitus, Suetonius,Paterculus, Dio Cassius, Josephus

Anyone have a fairy tale with an equivalent outside confirmation of the historicity of this many characters ?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Jun 13

Originally posted by sonship
Okay. [b]Lord of the Rings has lots of geographic detail as a fairy tale.

I have another challenge. In the New Testament the following names of people have been confirmed OUTSIDE of the New Testament to have existed. (other than Jesus of Nazareth)

Can you think of a fairy tale which would have as much outside attestation of the historicity th ...[text shortened]... fairy tale with an equivalent outside confirmation of the historicity of this many characters ?[/b]
This post sponsored by Goalpost Movers, Inc. - where our motto is there's no bet that you'll hit that net.

P

Moves
18 Jun 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
But were are these places today. They are only in the imagination. The Holy Bible refers to real places and locations that can be visited today.

The Instructor
The Odessy mentions quite a few places that really exist.

--- Penguin

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jun 13
1 edit

This post sponsored by Goalpost Movers, Inc. - where our motto is there's no bet that you'll hit that net.
That is not really fair of you.
I did not move the goalpost.

I conceded that some case could be made in the case of Tolkien's fairy tale in terms of geographic detail. I said "Okay" on that front - an arguable comparison.

Then I made another challenge. There's nothing unfair about that.
I don't consider that shifting the goalpost.

P

Moves
18 Jun 13

I conceded that some case could be made in the case of Tolkien's fairy tale in terms of geographic detail. I said "Okay" on that front - an arguable comparison.

Would you care to suggest a scenario that would be considered 'shifting the goalposts'. This one sounds like a perfect example to me.

You are saying 'the Bible is special because of X', then when someone points out that other non-special books have that same property, you say 'well ok then, the Bible is special because of Y'.

Whether it matters is another point entirely. Pick any major work of fiction and you will be able to find some unique aspect to it if you look hard enough.

--- Penguin.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jun 13
3 edits

Would you care to suggest a scenario that would be considered 'shifting the goalposts'. This one sounds like a perfect example to me.
It would not include me saying "Okay. You have at least an arguable case."

Now if I had said that Tolkien ( whom I have not read) "only mentioned X number of places but my quote from Joshua mentioned many more. so you fail." That I would consider playing the same game and moving the goalpost further out.

The questioned was answered as far as I am concerned. I asked for someone to mention a comparative situation and someone submitted an example.

You are saying 'the Bible is special because of X', then when someone points out that other non-special books have that same property, you say 'well ok then, the Bible is special because of Y'.
Well, I guess I am saying the Bible is special because of more than one reason. I did not say any one of those reasons necessarily prove that it is what it says it is. But I invited comparisons of at least three grounds with fairy tales -

1.) geographic detail

2.) biographic detail

3.) outside historical confirmation of some of its characters

Whether it matters is another point entirely. Pick any major work of fiction and you will be able to find some unique aspect to it if you look hard enough.

Should that bother me ?
That there is no other book quite like Moby Dick (though maybe Old Man in the Sea has some similar characteristics), is that proof that the Bible is just like any other book ?

I think this argument just says " I can always come up with a plausible rational that your Bible is not unique."

May reply to that is "I know you can."

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Jun 13

The implication that the real-world setting of scripture in some way adds credibility to the miraculous aspects therein is facile and asinine.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jun 13
3 edits

I think it is asinine to assume that whoever created the universe from nothing has limited power. It is asinine to assume that such a God would not be able to manifest transcendent power should it meet His need to do so.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Jun 13

I think it is asinine to assume that whoever created the universe from nothing has limited power. It is asinine to assume that such a God would not be able to manifest transcendent power should it meet His need to do so.
Could you please explain the relevance of this post?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Jun 13
1 edit

If only you were not cutting off the previous debate just as it threatened to become difficult and/or interesting. Then I could see it. I am inclined to grant leeway for people to discuss several aspect of an issue, but not if they won't see it through.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
18 Jun 13

Lol. His new name is Captain Goalpost.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
18 Jun 13
1 edit

Okay. [b]Lord of the Rings has lots of geographic detail as a fairy tale.

Can you think of a fairy tale which would have as much outside attestation of the historicity th fairy tale with an equivalent outside confirmation of the historicity of this many characters ?[/b]
simples!...take any collection of people known to exist and write about how they were all once whisked away to the land of "Garchag" on a giant magic carpet made of Leprechaun skin.
Then describe in detail how they returned, and how they were commanded by King Almos (of Garchag) to never speak a word about their adventures - lest he turn their sons and daughters into gargoyles.

After writing such a story...prove it *didn't* happen!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 13

Originally posted by Agerg
simples!...take any collection of people known to exist and write about how they were all once whisked away to the land of "Garchag" on a giant magic carpet made of Leprechaun skin.
Then describe in detail how they returned, and how they were commanded by King Almos (of Garchag) to never speak a word about their adventures - lest he turn their sons and daughters into gargoyles.

After writing such a story...prove it *didn't* happen!
That is the point. One way to determine a story is a fairy tale is that the geographicl locations can not be found.

The Instructor