1. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 10:361 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The earth - as in the third rock from the sun - will go on whether humans do or not and whether or not there are 'environmental imbalances'.
    I actually don't think the human species is particularly threatened by environmental imbalances, I just believe that it could be very costly or damaging to us. For example if sea levels rise we will have to evacuate ere massive food shortages many people would die, but again, we would not easily go extinct.
    If we don't prepare for the big rock now, we may well wake up one day without the will, the energy, or the technology to avoid the consequences. All the Hollywood fantasies, and all the "Prepare to Meet your Doom" sign wavers won't hold it back either. We should be getting seriously prepared now. There are most likely many species in this vast universe who wished they did - but those guys you'll never hear about.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 11:14
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I reckon the Earth, as an entity, is sick of us humans. Either we wise up or the Earth(with the help of the rest of the universe)is going to kick us out.
    The earth as an entity does not experience emotion. Why are you so sure it would pick on humans if it did have emotions? Why not pick on ants, or algae or something like that?
    What do you mean by 'wise up'? We are not harming the Earth, we are only changing it. What we should do, we should do for our own good, not for the good of the Earth - whatever that might be.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 11:16
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    If we don't prepare for the big rock now, we may well wake up one day without the will, the energy, or the technology to avoid the consequences. All the Hollywood fantasies, and all the "Prepare to Meet your Doom" sign wavers won't hold it back either. We should be getting seriously prepared now. There are most likely many species in this vast universe who wished they did - but those guys you'll never hear about.
    A basic failing of almost all political systems in place today is that they focus too heavily on short term gains. Countries that have put in place good long term plans and strategies have done so in spite of their political systems not because of them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree