1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 20:32
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yep. The 'hot death'.
    Just as the scriptures indicate, heaven and earth WILL pass away!!

Now you ready to convert!! 😛
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 20:42
    Originally posted by whodey

Yep - I'm SCARED! 😲
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 21:221 edit

Ec 1:4 says different. It says it will stand to times endifinite. Matt 5:5 says the meek will inherint the earth.
    So the other scriptures that have been quoted must mean something else because the heavens could not literally be destroyed because of God, Jesus and all the angels being there.?
  4. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 22:23
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Ec 1:4 says different. It says it will stand to times endifinite. Matt 5:5 says the meek will inherint the earth.
    So the other scriptures that have been quoted must mean something else because the heavens could not literally be destroyed because of God, Jesus and all the angels being there.?
    Matt 5:5, when it says Earth a lot of the time it means Heaven, how could they inherit something they already have? Also like I said ealirer Heaven in this context means the sky.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 22:53
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Matt 5:5, when it says Earth a lot of the time it means Heaven, how could they inherit something they already have? Also like I said ealirer Heaven in this context means the sky.
    Why destroy the sky? Why destroy the earth even. There is nothing wrong with it.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 00:28
    No it says; "Heaven and Earth WILL pass away, but my words shall never pass away". Not might pass away or "more likely" to pass away. No what "Heaven" means in this context is the sky.
    No, the future tense in Greek, and other languages, can often convey probability, possibility, obligation or purpose. The Greek future participle especially (i.e. 'about to do' or 'going to do'😉 often indicates intention or purpose, rather than positing a fact about the future. The Latin future passive participle (the gerundive) however indicates necessity and obligation (what must be done). There is also a similar phenomenon in Italian and English. For example, a person may hear their doorbell ring and remark 'That will be the pizza man'. The person does not mean 'in some time in the future, the person at the door will be a pizza man' (although this is strictly true if there is a pizza man). What is probably meant is 'that must be the pizza man'. These examples only serve to illustrate that tenses can often have several nuances and quite possibly in this context, the Greek future tense is just used to indicate a possibility about the future.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 04:44
    No it says; "Heaven and Earth WILL pass away, but my words shall never pass away". Not might pass away or "more likely" to pass away. No what "Heaven" means in this context is the sky.
    Surely someone here knows enough Hebrew or Greek to tell us whether the original word could have meant 'sky'?
    As the sentence stands in English it could easily be interpreted as simply emphasizing that his words will never pass away.
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 04:451 edit
    10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens )will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!

13But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.

2 Peter Chapter 3

It sounds like There will be a New Heavens & Earth. So this old Earth and minimum will be recreated. I guess we can argue that but we can't argue that God will create a new Heaven & Earth.

Manny
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 05:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Surely someone here knows enough Hebrew or Greek to tell us whether the original word could have meant 'sky'?
    As the sentence stands in English it could easily be interpreted as simply emphasizing that his words will never pass away.
    The Greek is 'ouranos' which could mean sky or heaven.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 07:08
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    The Greek is 'ouranos' which could mean sky or heaven.
    Thank you.
    The phrase as quoted earlier in English "Heaven and Earth WILL pass away" implies heaven and not 'the sky' as one would normally say "The heavens" when referring to the sky.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 07:11
    In fact, the entier universe will pass away, no?
    Not according to science, no.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 07:25
    Thank you.
    The phrase as quoted earlier in English "Heaven and Earth WILL pass away" implies heaven and not 'the sky' as one would normally say "The heavens" when referring to the sky.
    Yes. In English, there is a difference between 'heaven' and 'the heavens'. The latter refers to the sky, while the other has connotations of paradise and an afterlife. I don't think that Greek makes this same distinction. The Latin translation certainly doesn't. The Latin word 'caelum' can mean either as well.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 07:58
    If we dont destroy ourselves and correct the enviromental imbalances we have created the Earth should go on for a bit longer. It will expire one way or another though, but hopefully by that time we would have evolved enough to be able to migrate to other planets and keep the (Earth)human species alive.
    Then again physical survival may not be what 'God' had planned for us.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 09:21
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    If we dont destroy ourselves and correct the enviromental imbalances we have created the Earth should go on for a bit longer. It will expire one way or another though, but hopefully by that time we would have evolved enough to be able to migrate to other planets and keep the (Earth)human species alive.
    Then again physical survival may not be what 'God' had planned for us.
    The earth - as in the third rock from the sun - will go on whether humans do or not and whether or not there are 'environmental imbalances'.
    I actually don't think the human species is particularly threatened by environmental imbalances, I just believe that it could be very costly or damaging to us. For example if sea levels rise we will have to evacuate coastal cities, but that wouldn't make us go extinct. Also if there were massive food shortages many people would die, but again, we would not easily go extinct.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 10:29
    The earth - as in the third rock from the sun - will go on whether humans do or not and whether or not there are 'environmental imbalances'.
    I actually don't think the human species is particularly threatened by environmental imbalances, I just believe that it could be very costly or damaging to us. For example if sea levels rise we will have to evacuate ...[text shortened]... ere massive food shortages many people would die, but again, we would not easily go extinct.
    I reckon the Earth, as an entity, is sick of us humans. Either we wise up or the Earth(with the help of the rest of the universe)is going to kick us out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree