Originally posted by josephw
    That is ludacris.
    No, this is: http://www.defjam.com/site/artist_home.php?artist_id=308
  2. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 22:47
    Bigot - obstinate and intolerant believer in a religion, etc.
    dogmatist, partisan, sectionalist, intransigent, uncompromising, inflexible, prejudiced, biased, and narrow minded.

So you all think that this is what the bible promotes? And that those who believe the bible are bigots?
    I don't think anyone could honestly say 'all who believe in the bible are bigots.' Honestly, some people might just say misguided. The bible has a lot in it that contradicts christian veiws of family values and tolerance (if Christianity can ever be considered tolerant) but too many people hide behind the bible as a sheild or symbol. I think Christianity today is much less about the bible, and much more about the general message of forgiveness. Or at least it should be. I think the words of Jesus, whoever wrote them, have a lot going for them. Even though I don't believe in God, I think you can still take at least a little from the bible. But having said that, a lot is still very outdated. Parts just do not fit with modern thinking. And you can just say the bible is infalible. You really need to think about what it actually says.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 22:50
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    No, this is: http://www.defjam.com/site/artist_home.php?artist_id=308
    YouTube

This rulz!
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 23:29
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvrKzmkdBTI

This rulz!
    See, now you could use that as the basis for your sermon on Intelligent Design vs. ... well, I don't think "The Big Bang" is quite what I'm looking for here ...
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 09:555 edits
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    1Tim.2:11-14
    Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The same Paul says that all Christians in the church community should be in subjection to one another:

"Giving thanks at all times for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to our God and Father, Being subject to one another in the fear of Christ" (Eph. 5:20,21)

If everyone in the Christian community is exhorted to be subject to one another, then I don't think you can pull out one passage to accuse Paul of singling out only one sex to practice subjection.

The same Apostle Paul mentioned the notable co-working couple of Prisca and Aquila. He places the female of the couple first in his naming rather than second. Possibly because she was the more spiritually mature of the couple. I don't know for sure. But Paul must have had some reason for placing the wife's name before her husbands.

"Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, Who risked their own necks for my life, to whom not only I givethanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles" (Romans 16:3,4)

The same Apostle Paul also commends a female name of someone notable among the other apostles, Junia:

"Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me." (Romans 16:7)

This possibly could mean that among the apostles a female apostle was of note, the wife of one apostolic team "Andronicus and Junia".

Paul seems quite unbigoted to give high commendation to a female here:

"I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a deaconess of the church which is in Cenchrea. That you receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints ... for she has also been the patroness of many, of myself as well" (ROm. 16:1,2c)

Paul acknowledges that he depended on the help of this woman patron.

Again Paul singles out a female for high commendation in Rom. 16:6 -

"Greet Mary, one who has labored much for us."

The Apostle does not lightly mention fellow workers who assisted the ministry work. The woman Mary he commends for such acknowledgement.

Also, I would mention that Paul's instruction in First Timothy has a flavor of being his personal practice:

"But I do not permit a woman to teach or to assert authority over a man ..."

The phrase "I do not permit" possibly reflects that this was his own style he was recommending. But he does undergird his personal practice with his reasons from the Scripture:

"But I do not permot a woman to teach or to assert authority over a man, but to be in quietness. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; And Adam was not deceived; but the woman, having been quite deceived, has fallen into transgression" (1 Tim. 2:12-14)

It is difficult to make a case that Paul wanted the woman not to speak at all in the church meetings because he speaks of women prophesying in First Corinthians. And he also says that all may prophesy one by one.

I take it that in authoritative defining of doctrines he did not permit women to assert that authority. All in all he does not seem that begotted as many who isolate one passage to place him in that selective characteristic.

Subjection, was to be practiced by all who were to be filled with the Holy Spirit. And he also breaks down the social strata a male and female in the Galatian letter:

"For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus ... There cannot be Jew nor Greek, there cannot be slave nor free man, there cannot be male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

And if you are of Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, heirs accoding to promise." (See Gal. 3:26 - 29)

Here Paul does not say that there "should not be" the social stratas of the cultural classes. He says that in Christ there "cannot be" such. In Christ and in the experience of Christ there is no possibility and there cannot be the social upper class and lower class of male and female.

Those wanting to examine Paul's alleged bigotry should beware of their own, and take into account the fuller scope of Paul's apostolic teaching.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 11:46
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The same Paul says that all Christians in the church community should be in subjection to one another:

...[text shortened]... take into account the fuller scope of Paul's apostolic teaching.[/b]
    So you feel women can pastor churches?
  7. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 10:08

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

The same Paul says that all Christians in the church community should be in subjection to one another...

Would Paul have been equally disposed, then, to say the following?

"Let the man learn in silence with all subjection.
    But I suffer not a man to teach, nor to usurp authority over the woman, but to be in silence."
  8. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 10:09
    At work today I was talking to a carpenter that relayed a story about when he was in his late teens. He lived in a rural community out in South Dakota, and one day as he was grinding feed, or something, a few older farmers approached him and asked if any of those "funny guys" had ever bothered him. They said that if one ever did that he should bring him out ...[text shortened]... ople, and children, are disappearing all the time.

"Vengeance is mine saith the Lord."
    You let God do your dirty work for you, on Judgment Day?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree