1. Standard membertrakoz
    Electrical Engineer
    Amritapuri
    Joined
    26 May '15
    Moves
    1319
    16 Feb '16 12:15
    Here we can share the Wisdom Infinite...!

    Sri Swami Sivananda speaks on "You are the Master of your own Destiny"

    YouTube
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    16 Feb '16 13:27
    Originally posted by trakoz
    Here we can share the Wisdom Infinite...!
    It would take an infinite amount of time to share infinite wisdom. I don't think you are going to manage in one small YouTube video.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86348
    16 Feb '16 13:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It would take an infinite amount of time to share infinite wisdom. I don't think you are going to manage in one small YouTube video.
    You are definitely exhibiting a more humorous aspect to your posting.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52616
    17 Feb '16 15:05
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It would take an infinite amount of time to share infinite wisdom. I don't think you are going to manage in one small YouTube video.
    What if you got said wisdom on an infinitely wide bandwidth forum? Wouldn't that give you that infinite wisdom in an infinitely small amount of time?
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    17 Feb '16 16:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What if you got said wisdom on an infinitely wide bandwidth forum? Wouldn't that give you that infinite wisdom in an infinitely small amount of time?
    Doesn't that depend on their respective aleph numbers (cardinality)?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52616
    17 Feb '16 17:22
    Originally posted by JS357
    Doesn't that depend on their respective aleph numbers (cardinality)?
    I think you are full of pope hereπŸ™‚
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78542
    17 Feb '16 17:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    Doesn't that depend on their respective aleph numbers (cardinality)?
    Well, wisdom is to do with information and information is measured in bits, which makes it countable. Bandwidth is measured in frequency and as far as we know isomorphic to the reals - a countable infinity divided by an uncountable one comes out to zero. Although there's some controversy about whether space-time is continuous, if it is not then you have countable infinity divided by finite and it takes an infinitely long time.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    17 Feb '16 19:10
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Well, wisdom is to do with information and information is measured in bits, which makes it countable. Bandwidth is measured in frequency and as far as we know isomorphic to the reals - a countable infinity divided by an uncountable one comes out to zero. Although there's some controversy about whether space-time is continuous, if it is not then you have countable infinity divided by finite and it takes an infinitely long time.
    I wonder if the speed of light in a vacuum enters into the calculations. If there were a vacuum such as inside sunhouse's cranium perhaps wisdom would never penetrate.πŸ™‚
  9. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    17 Feb '16 19:27
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Well, wisdom is to do with information and information is measured in bits, which makes it countable.
    Not so. Just because computer programmers like to measure information in bits doesn't mean information is inherently countable. It only means computers can only store countable information.

    Bandwidth is measured in frequency and as far as we know isomorphic to the reals - a countable infinity divided by an uncountable one comes out to zero. Although there's some controversy about whether space-time is continuous, if it is not then you have countable infinity divided by finite and it takes an infinitely long time.
    If spacetime is continuous then the information carried in a photon could be uncountably infinite.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52616
    17 Feb '16 19:36
    Originally posted by JS357
    I wonder if the speed of light in a vacuum enters into the calculations. If there were a vacuum such as inside sunhouse's cranium perhaps wisdom would never penetrate.πŸ™‚
    What do you mean 'IF'?
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78542
    17 Feb '16 22:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not so. Just because computer programmers like to measure information in bits doesn't mean information is inherently countable. It only means computers can only store countable information.

    [b]Bandwidth is measured in frequency and as far as we know isomorphic to the reals - a countable infinity divided by an uncountable one comes out to zero. Althou ...[text shortened]... spacetime is continuous then the information carried in a photon could be uncountably infinite.
    Since we are talking about wisdom the relevant type of information is a string of symbols and that is countable. Even if the information is continuous it can still measured in bits, it just depends on whether you take your log relative to base 2 or use a natural logarithm when it's Boltzmann's constant in natural units.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    18 Feb '16 05:24
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Since we are talking about wisdom the relevant type of information is a string of symbols and that is countable. Even if the information is continuous it can still measured in bits, it just depends on whether you take your log relative to base 2 or use a natural logarithm when it's Boltzmann's constant in natural units.
    But the final digit of e has not been revealed.
  13. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    18 Feb '16 05:41
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Since we are talking about wisdom the relevant type of information is a string of symbols and that is countable.
    Why? Explain your reasoning rather than just stating it as fact. I see no reason why wisdom must be either in strings or countable.

    Even if the information is continuous it can still measured in bits,
    No, it can't. The reals are not countable.

    it just depends on whether you take your log relative to base 2 or use a natural logarithm when it's Boltzmann's constant in natural units.
    I don't understand. Please expand on that. How would you store PI in bits?
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78542
    18 Feb '16 21:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why? Explain your reasoning rather than just stating it as fact. I see no reason why wisdom must be either in strings or countable.

    [b]Even if the information is continuous it can still measured in bits,

    No, it can't. The reals are not countable.

    it just depends on whether you take your log relative to base 2 or use a natural logarithm when ...[text shortened]... n natural units.
    I don't understand. Please expand on that. How would you store PI in bits?[/b]
    How do you communicate wisdom? Language consists of words that can be mapped to symbols in one way or another and so that information is at most countably infinite. Entropy is a measure of information, it's defined as the sum over states of the probability of a state times the log of the probability of a state. The choice of base affects the units that the resultant measure of entropy has, in base 2 that comes out in bits. If the variable that is the information carrier can vary continuously the result need not be an integer. So the bit "count" doesn't have to be an integer.
Back to Top