1. England
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 10:48
    been reading the latest ive recieved. it states 6 myths about christianity.
    1 is mary mother of god, then proceeds to say she is the mother of jesus, where is the myth. all roman catholics know this,
    2 there is no hell, debateable at least.
    3 once you die thats it, more athiest than christian view. They belive in the bible and promote it as thier belief, yet king saul before his death consulted a medium and raised samuel from his sleep[death] to fortel his death.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 10:531 edit
    Originally posted by stoker
    been reading the latest ive recieved. it states 6 myths about christianity.
    1 is mary mother of god, then proceeds to say she is the mother of jesus, where is the myth. all roman catholics know this,
    2 there is no hell, debateable at least.
    3 once you die thats it, more athiest than christian view. They belive in the bible and promote it as thier belief, ...[text shortened]... before his death consulted a medium and raised samuel from his sleep[death] to fortel his death.
    i didn't know you received the watchtower and awake magazines, how noble and virtuous! obviously they have made an impression 😉 would you like to take these points one at a time?
  3. England
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 11:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i didn't know you received the watchtower and awake magazines, how noble and virtuous! obviously they have made an impression 😉 would you like to take these points one at a time?
    all together if you find it easyer,
    On the other point i read many info from all christian faiths, i agree or disagree with points but these seemed very poor by thier own standards
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 11:31
    all together if you find it easyer,
    On the other point i read many info from all christian faiths, i agree or disagree with points but these seemed very poor by thier own standards
    ok, what about the first point, Mary is mother of God, what is your objection, for it is not so clearly stated in your wording.
  5. England
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 16:09
    my point was no one has said she is the mother of god, as put over in thier myth.
    [it has been put that god the father god the son and god the holy spirit,] she was the mother of jesus. yet they indicate that the church puts forward she is the mother of god.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 00:36
    my point was no one has said she is the mother of god, as put over in thier myth.
    [it has been put that god the father god the son and god the holy spirit,] she was the mother of jesus. yet they indicate that the church puts forward she is the mother of god.
    hi, sorry Stoker, i did not mean to neglect this post i got caught up in the melee elsewhere and had huge job at work. It seems to me that what you are saying, is that not all profess that Mary is the mother of God. Is this the case?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 01:06
    I think this title needs to be explained a little. Catholics and Orthodox Christians do not believe that Mary is Mother of God from all eternity. They do not believe that Mary somehow preceeded God. What they believe is that Christ is truly God and consequently, when Mary gave birth to Jesus, she gave birth to God. This is a logical progression for all Christians who accept the traditional belief in the incarnation.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 01:14
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I think this title needs to be explained a little. Catholics and Orthodox Christians do not believe that Mary is Mother of God from all eternity. They do not believe that Mary somehow preceeded God. What they believe is that Christ is truly God and consequently, when Mary gave birth to Jesus, she gave birth to God. This is a logical progression for all Christians who accept the traditional belief in the incarnation.
    Hi Conrau, the article that Stoker refers to has as its basis, a quotation from the New Encyclopaedia Britannica, which traces the historical development of the, 'great mother goddess' and the 'divine virgin'. My own understanding was, that Mary was petitioned, for want of a better word, as an intercessor, an advocate if you like, to plead on behalf of the devotee, before God, who was viewed as a rather, if not vindictive God, certainly one exacting full justice and recompense. what are your thoughts on this?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 02:02
    Hi Conrau, the article that Stoker refers to has as its basis, a quotation from the New Encyclopaedia Britannica, which traces the historical development of the, 'great mother goddess' and the 'divine virgin'. My own understanding was, that Mary was petitioned, for want of a better word, as an intercessor, an advocate if you like, to plead on behalf ...[text shortened]... ve God, certainly one exacting full justice and recompense. what are your thoughts on this?
    No doubt that is why some early Christians called Mary the 'Mother of God' -- in want of some mother goddess or to satisfy some vestigial paganism, as a kind of feminine replacement to the wrathful God. I don't deny that. Syncretism has always haunted Christianity. Howver, the title 'Mother of God' emerged out of a debate between Nestorius and St. Cyril. Nestorius believed that Mary should be called 'Christotokos' (Christ-bearer) because she only gave birth to the human Jesus. St. Cyril however argued that Jesus was both divine and human and consequently Mary had to be called 'Theotokos' (God-bearer). Ever since, the Western Church has called Mary 'Mother of God' as a translation for 'theotokos'.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 03:031 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    hi, if you do not mind me saying, it seems that this belief stems from acceptance of the divinity of Christ, essentially a trinitarian concept and thus some way had to be found to reconcile that God could be born from a human mother, with Mary thus taking on the title 'theotokos'. It is of interest to note that the article which our friend Stoker originally had some issue with mentions that scripturally Mary is termed, mother of the 'son of God', not, 'Mother of God', and a reference given to the Council of Ephesus 431.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 09:30
    hi, if you do not mind me saying, it seems that this belief stems from acceptance of the divinity of Christ, essentially a trinitarian concept and thus some way had to be found to reconcile that God could be born from a human mother, with Mary thus taking on the title 'theotokos'. It is of interest to note that the article which our friend Stoker ori ...[text shortened]... e 'son of God', not, 'Mother of God', and a reference given to the Council of Ephesus 431.
    Definitely. The title is not found in Scripture; it is grounded in the belief that the son of God is God.
  12. England
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 15:021 edit
    hi, sorry Stoker, i did not mean to neglect this post i got caught up in the melee elsewhere and had huge job at work. It seems to me that what you are saying, is that not all profess that Mary is the mother of God. Is this the case?
    sorry i just noticed the reply. She is not the mother of god and never has been. She was chosen to bring the christ into earthly life. Now the church calls christ god the son, but he never gave himself such a title. Telling all god is his father and worshiping him. so he did not worship himself.
    So the bit you ask not all profess M is mother of god is the case
    P.S also other points are in my original post. they say once your dead your dead, i do not belive this, they await the judgement day, in some degree of existance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree